Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resitting Leaving Cert.....

• 03-04-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48

I'll be re-sitting Leaving Cert in Biology in June (I actually want to this time around). The syllabus has changed considerably since I sat it. I'm studying for it myself so not getting all that great support and advice from teachers. But would appreciate any advice from fellow leaving cert students or those who have sat the biology exam recently.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

from leaving cert forum

links on that page
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054983277
    Biology

Biology Notes
    More Biology Notes
    Even more Biology notes!
    Great Biology Site (Has Animations of cycles and processes, split into chapters on the main page.)

try this one
    http://www.leavingbio.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Ana36

Had quick look at link. Looks great, will have a closer look tomorrow. Reading and re reading book! All depends on how much I remember on the day. Thanks....let me know if anything else comes up...eg. hints from teachers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Im repeating my leaving cert too, Took up Biology as a new subject this year. I need it for my course (just as a head start). Its been 3 years since I first sat the LC (im 21 now).

So anyway heres my advice:
    Get the past exam papers, if you haven't already got them. Study one chapter and do the corrosponding questions (theres an index at the start of the exam papers so that will help) learn off the answers.
    There are a few topics that come up every year:
    Ecology. Usually short and a full long question on this topic so know it inside out! Make sure you know the experiments to go with it also eg. Quantitative survey
    Human reproduction: usually in Q14 or Q15 where you do two out of (a) (b) (c)
    Genetics: Usually a full question and maybe a short question. Make sure you know your definitions and the experiment may also come up this year (extraction of DNA).

Tips Ive gotten from a highly experienced Biology teacher:
    The ear hasnt come up since 1989 so its due.
    The skeleton and muscles: Joint types, oh and bone formation and development have never come up
    Photosynthesis and respiration are always hot topics
    The enzymes exp

If you have any problems with anything dont hesitate to PM me or if your stuck for notes!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I give LC biology grinds, topics you should definitely know well are:
    Respiration/Photosynthesis - nearly always a big question on one or the other of these topics.
    Genetics - always a full question. Genetics crosses are very common (Practically every year in some form) so concentrate on these.
    Sexual reproduction and Ecology are also practically guaranteed to show up in some form.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Ana36

Thanks so much for the help and hints! Every bit welcome! Much appreciated, will no doubt stay in touch! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement