Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite areas of biology?

Options
  • 18-10-2009 11:26pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What topics in biology are you particularly interested in?

I love anything to do with genetics or microbiology.
    I love finding out about how such little things have such profound implications on our everyday life. And it seriously annoys me when people try to talk about evolution when they don't have a clue:mad:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

hmmm, there's something wrong with this question because Biology is - entirely - a very interesting subject! However, I really love Vitamins and Amino Acids for some bizarre reason; and I also adore everything about microbiology. The area of research that I'm in now involves Heparin and other Glycosaminoglycans, of which I also love.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I qualified as a molecular microbiologist before moving into immunodiagnostics development but my favourite part of all the research I did was proteomics and mass spectrometry so I guess you could say that proteomics was my favourite part of Biology.

However, I do really enjoy molecular genetics and immunology and loved studying those topics in University.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

immunodiagnostics development you say eh? how does one get into that?

I like sticking antibodies to things for counting purposes, so clinical chemistry and transfusion science are my favourite things until i qualify. I think stuff that drags in physics adn chemistry to the biology lab are wonderful.

As a counterpoint to my favourite areas, i despise HATE and so on microbiology. smelly plates of bugs are not cool...

Tree wrote: »
    immunodiagnostics development you say eh? how does one get into that?
    For me, it was initially through cloning of genes and the subsequent expression of their protein products. We then partnered with another lab that produced antibodies to our proteins...and the rest went from there. :) However, I then got majorly sidetracked by protein analysis using mass spec and loved that :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Awesome. I have yet to talk to two ppl who got into diagnostics development through the same routes.

• Advertisement

Those 'smelly' bacterial plates are actually quite nice I think. By the end of my degree, you could kind of tell which smell equated to which organism. E. coli had a very distinct smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm really interested in GMOs. The controversy surrounding them and the incredible potential they possess fascinates me.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I'm really interested in GMOs. The controversy surrounding them and the incredible potential they possess fascinates me.
    You're probably referring to animals and bacteria when you mention that, right? However, GM plants is a huge area too, and right on our doortstep too: Teagasc are heavily involved in GMing crops. I had a tour of their place in Carlow last year and it's quite impressive the stuff they're doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Kevster wrote: »
    You're probably referring to animals and bacteria when you mention that, right? However, GM plants is a huge area too, and right on our doortstep too: Teagasc are heavily involved in GMing crops. I had a tour of their place in Carlow last year and it's quite impressive the stuff they're doing there.

No no, GM plants as well. I know, with my course we were meant to go on a tour of Oak Park to see their work but unfortunately it never came to be. I have read a lot of their research, and I'd agree that it looks very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

medical microbiology
    immune signalling
    medical mycology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

Cytology and really anything in the human body...so medical science and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I love anything to do with Histopathology and Immunology!!! Didnt think I would like Immunology when we started it but now I love it! who knew T cells could be so interesting! and Macrophages rock!

I also loved cytology, such a pity there are no opertunities in that area in Ireland! Thank you mary harney!

As for micro! I hate smelly plates of bugs also. but equally despise machines and analysers!

SarahBM wrote: »
    ...but equally despise machines and analysers!
    You'd better get used to machines and analysers if you want to be an immunologist :) ELISA plate readers, FACS machines and many other types of analysis machines used in most bio labs, immunology or not :)

Have to agree though, immunology is exciting stuff!

I prefer Histology by far. Im doing Cellular Pathology for my Major and Clinical Immunology for my Minor. Immunology requires thought and there is a whole process to figuring out whats wrong with a patient. its like a puzzle. but biochem etc. you put a tube on a machine and you get a number out and that s it. Not for me!

<3 FACS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I'm more of an old-fashioned kinda gal ;)
    Evolution, agriculture, botany, entomology, mycology, population genetics (in particular geographic speciation), paleontology, GM of plants, and my current favourite love: phytopathology <3

whats Phytopathology? sounds interesting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

whats Phytopathology? sounds interesting!!!
    Study of plant diseases. :) It is interesting, might not be so much by the end of the year, but I'm enjoying it now ;)

Plants dont really do it for me Im afraid, but hey!! what ever floats your boat!

That's only because you haven't met the right plant...

• Advertisement

Ah! your the only plant for me Tree!!! :D:D:D:):D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Loved tumour biology and the immunology i done during my course... all them t-cells and b-cells... lovely stuff!

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Loved tumour biology and the immunology i done during my course... all them t-cells and b-cells... lovely stuff!

I agree Tcells rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Kevster wrote: »
    hmmm, there's something wrong with this question because Biology is - entirely - a very interesting subject!

Exactly!!

I do particularly like microbiology though, or anything to do with cells really. It's fascinating looking at cells under a microscope in real life and seeing all the organelles that are part of it. That's what really made me love Biology back in secondary school and I love looking at agar plates after something has started growing on them in college :D

I like genetics too, particularly in relation to sexual diversity,genetic variations and mutations etc. Only in second year though so I've no in depth knowledge yet :P

What course? sounds diverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

What course? sounds diverse!

Genetics and Cell Biology in DCU

Oh that sounds interesting. and very hard!

Im final year Biomedical science in DIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Medical Microbiology (Bacterial, viral etc.)
    Parasitology
    Applied Microbiology
    Human Physiology (Only did limited amounts of this but loved it!)

It's funny because I spent the whole of my microbiology degree thinking I didn't like it but I suppose now that the pressure of tests and stuff is gone I've realised I'm really interested in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

Animal Behaviour/Ethology (Including human behaviour and psychology)
    Ecology
    Genetics/Evolution
    Geography

They're the areas that interest me most.. so you can imagine how I feel at the thought of all of the physics and chemistry that await in year 1 of a bachelor of science degree :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Epidemiology and medical mycology - my thesis was on Aspergillus ;)

Advertisement