Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Beautiful. That is all :)

Heavenly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Beautiful in Dublin and much appreciated after two very grey days . Wonderful !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As has been said, beautiful in Galway city, feels warmer than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Best day since 3 July is all I’ll say on the weather in Dublin, magnificent!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic day, very welcome after two miserably cold and damp days. Looking forward to the next 4 to 5 days, this is probably our last grasp of summer before Autumn kicks in properly next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »

I'd say best day in Dublin since last Saturday!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd say best day in Dublin since last Saturday!

Saturday was a bit hazy but still good, today is more pure blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Ah, powerful day out in the garden :)

(co.down)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful. Dublin 2.
    The parks will be buzzing at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Hardly, no?

Friday 2nd August was stunning. 22 degrees and clear, gin blue skies. We'd a work day out and took the boat from Dun Laoghaire to Howth so I remember it vividly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gorgeous day. Temperatures have risen decently to 18c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote: »
    It has been pretty grimm, Athenry is running at 368.4mm of rain since the start of August, Newport is not that far behind with 335.3mm and it looks like next week could be quite wet as well.

Belmullet only has had 223.7mm as a comparison with Mace Head having just over 200mm
    I haven't looked at the models today but last night they suggested that we 'make the most of it'.

I see mention of the sunset yesterday evening. There was a very gorgeous 'golden glow' shortly afterwards. I wonder was there smoke or something from the N. American continent in the atmosphere as it was not a typical maritime type hue.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beautiful day here but still not that mild, temperature currently 15C. Temperatures should recover tomorrow.

Tomorrow temperatures will rise to 14-18C generally, maybe 19 or 20C in a few inland parts of the south.

arpegeuk-41-33-0.png?17-12

Thursday will see temperatures 17 to 19C generally, bit cooler in the north-west and breaking the 20C barrier in parts of the south.

arpegeuk-41-59-0.png?17-13

Friday could be the warmest day of this spell with temperatures of 20-22C across much of the east and south. Perhaps the last time we'll see these sort of temperatures till next May or June.

arpegeuk-41-86-0.png?17-06

Saturday still looks good in the east but hints of a breakdown by the evening with cloud, showers and cooler air moving in from the west.

compsys wrote: »
    Hardly, no?

Friday 2nd August was stunning. 22 degrees and clear, gin blue skies. We'd a work day out and took the boat from Dun Laoghaire to Howth so I remember it vividly.

2 August was another day of sun tending to be hazy in nature in my area. Temperature has very little impact for me. Have seen a lot of such days this year with visibility not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Another day of sun tending to be hazy in nature in my area. Temperature has very little impact for me. Have seen a lot of such days this year with visibility not that great.
    Hazy today? Its crystal clear where I am? (N Dub)

15.9c at the moment but feels warmer in the sunshine five days short of the equinox.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

15.9c at the moment but feels warmer in the sunshine five days short of the equinox.

Crystal clear in South Dublin too . Glorious

it certainly feels warmer than 15C but the chill will come back fairly quickly later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the models today but last night they suggested that we 'make the most of it'.

I see mention of the sunset yesterday evening. There was a very gorgeous 'golden glow' shortly afterwards. I wonder was there smoke or something from the N. American continent in the atmosphere as it was not a typical maritime type hue.

could it be this?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/09/sulfur-spewing-russian-volcano-turning-sunsets-purple?utm_campaign=news_daily_2019-09-13&et_rid=399746071&et_cid=2987101
    Sunrise and sunset chasers discovered something odd this summer: In rural Colorado and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere, Earth’s daily light shows were turning purple. Now, weather balloons probing the stratosphere have traced the mysterious purple light to a volcanic eruption in Russia.

On 22 June, Russia’s Raikoke volcano blasted ash and sulfuric gas 17 kilometers into the stratosphere. Eruptions that violent are rare—the last to spew gases that high was in 1991, when Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines blew its top. Researchers monitoring the stratosphere with high-altitude balloons soon found a layer of sulfur particles 20 times thicker than normal. This was enough to explain the purple sunsets and sunrises and to pin them on the Raikoke eruption, they report this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Absolutely stunning in Dublin today! Unbroken sunshine and very little cloud. It feels warm in the sun but a little cool in the breeze or shade.

It's the best day that I've fully experienced here since June 27 (I forget if the 28th was equally nice or not!) July 3rd was beautiful but I only experienced a few hours of it.

Please read my posts properly, I never said anywhere that it’s hazy today. That was in response to 2 August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just broke 20C in Castlebar, probably the nicest day we have had since the 2nd of August, it's also going to be the first fully dry day we have had since the 2nd of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

amazing day in Cork today! Blue skies all day, was warm too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful evening 16c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin co galway 16/09/19 19.17
    QqU4oMe.jpg

This almost reads like the first day for several months that the whole country enjoyed blue skies and dazzling sunshine! Fingers crossed we can all bask in the glory for another 3 to 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Xenji wrote: »
    Just broke 20C in Castlebar, probably the nicest day we have had since the 2nd of August, it's also going to be the first fully dry day we have had since the 2nd of August.

Are you serious?

This is why I’d struggle so much living in the West.

I’m sure Dublin has had at least 14 or 15 set days since then. Maybe someone else can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

compsys wrote: »
    Are you serious?

This is why I’d struggle so much living in the West.

I’m sure Dublin has had at least 14 or 15 set days since then. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Yup, nearly 350mm since then and just 4 days out of the last 45 with less than 1mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Some sunny spells but mostly cloudy all day in Letterkenny. Least it's dry..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Lovely day in the west but still a bit of a chill there if in any exposed area. Noticeably cooler morning and evening too. Thankfully we are getting a good week as it had been a washout since the start of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 17/09/19 19.35 temperature 13°C
    vaU4hiU.jpg

Advertisement