Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning Surlaw - BBC Sound of 2021

Options
  • 07-01-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Hi gang - every year I check out the BBC Sound of the year and try to pretend I'm not an old has-been. They shortlist 10 up and coming artists and I thought it might make an interesting mini surlaw.
    (They actually announced the winner last night but anyway...)

So, if you want to play along, there’s ten songs below for you to sample. PM me your top five, in order. And I thought it might be nice if you added a couple of sentences for your top two that I’ll copy out in the reveal. Aiming for this to be lightning quick – reveal next Thursday night if a few people are in, so submissions to me by Wednesday 13th please. I'll give your first choice 7pts, then 5-3-2-1

Youtube music playlist
    Green&Red wrote: »

1 – Alfie Templeman, Forever Isn’t Long Enough
    17-year-old Alfie Templeman started making music by banging pots and pans in his family kitchen in Bedfordshire. After mastering those, he also taught himself bass and guitar.

2 - BERWYN, Vinyl
    An accomplished multi-instrumentalist, he plays drums, piano, guitar and violin “but I’m not even sure if I play them properly because I taught myself”.

3 – Bree Runway, Apesh!t
    With influences as diverse as Lil Kim, Madonna and Shania Twain, she bristles at being pigeon-holed. “I’m not just a rapper. Like, that’s completely impossible. I’m literally everything.”

4 - Dutchavelli, Bando Diaries
    The younger brother of rap star Stefflon Don, Dutchavelli was born in Birmingham but raised in the Netherlands – hence his stage name. Known for his gruff voice and ominous beats, he released his first song, New Jack City, in 2016

5 - Girl In Red, Rue
    Norwegian lo-fi artist Marie Ulven scored a viral hit with her first ever song, I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend, in 2017, which has since been played 80 million times on Spotify.

6 - Greentea Peng, Hu Man
    Her tripped-out, spiritually-enriched soul is inspired by her attempts to relax and unwind. “I’ve got a busy brain,” she told The Face. “I’m always thinking about some madness.”

7 - Griff, Say It Again
    After being nominated for an Ivor Novello Rising Star Award this summer, she was chosen to sing Love Is A Compass – the emotional ballad that soundtracked Disney’s Christmas advert.

8 – Holly Humberstone, Falling Asleep At The Wheel
    Her intensely personal lyrics all have to pass a quality control test. “They have to be lyrics that someone would get tattooed on their skin for life,” she told one interviewer. “If they're not tattoo lyrics, then they don't make the record.”

9 – The Lathums, I See Your Ghost
    In July, they topped the vinyl album charts with The Memories We Make – a compilation of all their recordings to date. Since then, they’ve started working on their debut album.

10 – Pa Salieu, My Family
    Not afraid to experiment with different sounds and styles, he draws on everything from dancehall and drill, while incorporating the hand-drummed sounds of his Gambian heritage. “I don’t do genres,” he said in one interview, ”I do everything”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Will have a couple of listens to them all today, and hopefully I'll have clear preferences from the first listen and be able to rank them swiftly and efficiently... :D

I know what me number one is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Will have a couple of listens to them all today, and hopefully I'll have clear preferences from the first listen and be able to rank them swiftly and efficiently... :D
    Yep, no messing around!

Ah, I thought a quick one as it won't get in anyone's way given I'm queue jumping. And it's only 10. And they're not my picks so you don't have to give them the care and attention I know you'd dedicate to them if I'd handpicked them ;)

Just heard this morning that the winner was announced and thought it might be interesting. I actually started writing the OP before listening to them myself. The standard isn't as high as I'd have hoped, which either means I am an old has-been, or kids today have terrible taste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭jacool

Two tracks way ahead of the rest.
    My 3,4 and 5 are obvious too, but now have to rate 1 and 2.

Three entries in already :)

I'm avoiding reading them until I sort my order though. Think I have my top two, my next two, then fifth. Just need to order the pairs...

• Advertisement

It was relatively easy for me to pick. I only really liked 5 of them.

My first and second picked themselves. First was a clear winner.

Order of 4th and 5th were the only real decision I had to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It was relatively easy for me to pick. I only really liked 5 of them.

My first and second picked themselves. First was a clear winner.

Order of 4th and 5th were the only real decision I had to make.
    Quite easy for me too. I liked my first two, the next three were okay but not doing much for me. The other five were grade-A stinkers. Pe-yoo :(

I quite liked them all, so finding it difficult enough to just narrow it down to five. After three listens, I've reluctantly culled it down to six, but having a tough time deciding which of the remaining won't make it into my Top 5. And don't even talk to me about trying to rank them yet...

giphy.gif

Quite easy for me too. I liked my first two, the next three were okay but not doing much for me. The other five were grade-A stinkers. Pe-yoo :(
    Five stinkers :eek:
    Two for me, three I really liked and five middley

Right, that's me done, choonage assessed and choices are in...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

That's five...

Clarabel
    the purple tin
    Hello 2D Person Below
    ShaneU
    Also Starring LeVar Burton...

...in already, flying it :)

Obviously the more the merrier, everyone welcome!

I've just listened to a couple of songs from one of the acts that didn't make my top 5 and it's much, much better stuff.

I've just listened to a couple of songs from one of the acts that didn't make my top 5 and it's much, much better stuff.
    I didn't pick the playlist so I accept no responsibility for any misrepresentation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll have a listen and get my 5 in soon

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Only one song there I could actually say I liked. Another 5 of varying degrees of meh, and the last 4 are truly awful imo and I hope I never hear them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Green&Red wrote: »
    Nice one :)
    I stuck that in the OP too

Eight (including me) now :)

Me
    Clarabel
    the purple tin
    Hello 2D Person Below
    ShaneU
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Zaph
    jacool

Every song has scored points, and only two points separate the top four, so every vote counts. Come and join the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That's my day's music sorted. I'll have a submission by the end of the day probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    That's my day's music sorted. I'll have a submission by the end of the day probably.

same here!

• Advertisement

Up to 11, flying along :)

Me
    Clarabel
    the purple tin
    Hello 2D Person Below
    ShaneU
    Zaph
    jacool
    Homer J. Fong
    Mollyb60
    AnLachaCorcra

Will definitely stick to the plan now, reveal will be next Thurs (14th) at about 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

make that 12 (or 13 or 14, if anyone else submitted between these posts).

That was fairly easy - exactly 5 songs made it through after the first listen, so it took a couple more listens to finalise the 5.
    After I submitted the list, I couldn't resist the temptation to check who the winner of the real thing was. . .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Will try and get this done EN, between Album Walrus and an audiobook I can't put down my free listening time is a bit limited at the moment though!

Necro wrote: »
    Will try and get this done EN, between Album Walrus and an audiobook I can't put down my free listening time is a bit limited at the moment though!
    Well whose idea was the album walrus? :p
    No worries, it's just for fun. But obviously the more the merrier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm so glad to hear you didn't pick these as five of them I couldn't get past thirty seconds of!

Will rank the other five early next week though

Up to 11, flying along :)

Me
    Clarabel
    the purple tin
    Hello 2D Person Below
    ShaneU
    Zaph
    jacool
    Homer J. Fong
    Mollyb60
    AnLachaCorcra

Will definitely stick to the plan now, reveal will be next Thurs (14th) at about 9pm
    Little weekend bump. Aris was the 12th man, and Reberetta is the 13th, not sure who that's unlucky for!

In case you're just seeing this, in the OP there's a song from each of the 10 artists on the BBC Sound of 2021 shortlist. If you fancy, have a listen and send me your top five. Then, on Thursday evening you can see if anyone agrees with you and we'll crown the boardsie Sound of 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I will have my choices in by Wednesday.

Jaysus some of that was torturous :pac:

1 clear winner for me anyways

Jaysus some of that was torturous :pac:
    That's the aim of all my games :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Votes submitted there now

Only 5 of these listenable to!

Probably 2 of the 5 I ranked I'd listen to again by choice