Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van conversion

Options
  • 27-08-2007 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Excuse if these are basic questions.......
    1. How does one tax/insure van while conversion is under way - ie if it has to go to have windows fitted etc?
    2. Are any taxes payable - VRT/VAT on change of use?
    3. Who needs to be notified of change of use?
    4. If "pop-top" are different rates payable - I understand it wouldn't be eligible for cheap road tax.
    5. If I found an obviously home converted van for sale what documentation should I be looking for?

Any other legal angles to be considered?
    Many thanks
    Penny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Penny, i'll try answer some of your questions. Most of the official info is available from http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt1.htm

Stapeler

1. How does one tax/insure van while conversion is under way - ie if it has to go to have windows fitted etc?

If the van is not in use you can inform the MotorTax office. Once completed and ready for use, complete an "off the road decliration form", Needs to be signed and stamped by Garda.
    For both Tax & Insurance, unless the conversion is completed and registered as a motorhome/camper you won't be able to tax/insure it as a MH. If insurance/tax is required then you'll probably have to pay commercial/private rates.

2. Are any taxes payable - VRT/VAT on change of use?
    VRT will have to be paid when conversion is completed. Contact local Vehicle Registeration Office. They will need to inspect it to determine if it's a camper/motorhome. They will charge VRT based on current market value. In addition the local Motor Tax Office will need to inspect it also.

3. Who needs to be notified of change of use?
    Vehicle Registeration Office..

4. If "pop-top" are different rates payable - I understand it wouldn't be eligible for cheap road tax.
    Once it's regictered as a Camper/MH then the reduced tax applies.

5. If I found an obviously home converted van for sale what documentation should I be looking for?
    Verify on Vehicle registeration document that it is a Camper/Motorhome. A quick check would be to check details on windscreen tax disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 penny Toolan

Thanks for the prompt and detailed info.
    Re pop tops - what are the implications of it being rejected as a camper, due to lack of roof height - does higher vrt apply to Irish registerd vehicles? Would road tax be private (ie about €800 pa)?
    Thanks again
    Penny

I believe once it's internal height is 1.8m it will qualify (once it meets all the other requirments, ie. cooker, sink etc).
    VRT will still be payable on a conversion from Van to Campervan. 13% of current market valve. I think it's 30% higher for popups. (where's peasant?)
    Once it qualifies and is registered as a campervan the road tax will be private and charged at €78 a year. Insurance is very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it's 30% higher for popups. (where's peasant?)

actually ...I don't have clue in this case either :rolleyes:

Probably best to ask for info straight from the horses mouth (VRO)

Although ...I wouldn't be overly surprised if you did get conflicting info from there too

Here's some boring VRT stuff extracted from the Revenues
    "VRT_Instruction Manual"

VRT rates:
    Catagory A: Ranges from 22.5% to 30%
    I think a roof height less that 1.8meters falls into this group.

Catagory B: 13.3% of open market selling price
    Motor Caravan not exceedind 3,000 kilograms

Catagory C: Flat fee of €50
    Motor Caravan exceeding 3000kilograms unladen weight.

Motor Caravan: A vehicle which is shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioners to be designed, constructed or adopted to provide temporary living accomidation which has an interior height not less than 1.8 meters when measured in such a manner as may be approved by the Commissioners and, in respect ot which vehicle, such design, construction or adaption incorporates the following permanently fitted equipment-
    (a) a sink
    (b) cooking equipment of not less than a hob with 2 rings or such other cooking equipment as may be perscribed, and
    (c) any other equipment or fittings as may be perscribed

To be deemed a motor caravan a vehicle must, amongst other criteria, have an interior roof height of not less than 1.8meters. Vehicles which are fitted with pop-up or adjustable roofs should have this measurment taken with the roof in it's lowest position and where the roof slopes the interior roof height should be measured at its lowest point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stapeler wrote:
    To be deemed a motor caravan a vehicle must, amongst other criteria, have an interior roof height of not less than 1.8meters. Vehicles which are fitted with pop-up or adjustable roofs should have this measurment taken with the roof in it's lowest position and where the roof slopes the interior roof height should be measured at its lowest point.

Oh :(

That bit is news to me ...that didn't use to be there.

That rules out a lot of van conversions :mad:

Well that's the official line as per their rules (Revenue) but I'm sure half them have never read the rules and make them up as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

That has got to be the most stupid rule regarding the pop up roof, whats the point in measuring it from the lowest point of the angle? They might as well say pop up roof are not permitted, obviously anyone that puts a pop up roof on is doing it to convert it to a camper, who writes these ridiculous rules? In the rest of europe and probably the world its obvious a van with a pop up roof is a camper, why else would you put one on, there not cheap to do. By having such an arse about tit rule the Irish govenment has effectively killed a whole part of the campervan leisure industry here in Ireland, if you look at the UK there are tons of VW's ,Vito's, bongos,etc..... campers around and that has a whole industry around it creating work. With this rule your VW gets put into the A class VRT catagory which means for example the lowest power VW T5 with C0 2 emissions of 211/g/km would have to pay 32% VRT ! !!! Thats on top of the price of the van which may cost between €10 k and €50 k ( A VW california ). Now VW has seen a growth of over 400% in these types of vehicles in the rest of europe, but in Ireland I'd be surprised if they've sold 1, due to this rule. If this government wants to show its green creditials then they should change this rule, modern pop tops offer less wind resistance than a high roof, you can use these vans as your day to day vehicle, thats part of there popularity, it has made campervans an attractive option. Who do we need to speak to, to change this rule? I feel like I'm in a third world country sometimes !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think it work as follows,
    Van fitted out as camper + height > 1.8 M 13%
    Van fitted out as camper + height < 1.8 M 36%

If it's a fixed top or pop top it's < 1.8 M so you have to pay 36%

You'd have to contact the VRO / Motor tax to find out but I think you can still get the cheap road tax which is the main thing.

I think the touplbe with pop tops was that people were caiming that bongs were campers with the intention of using them as cars and evading tax so they just banned them / raised the tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

They VRT rate is based on the emissions, once your vehicle is in the A catagory, if you go here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-1.pdf
    Section 1.3
    Its lists the different percentages you have to pay based on your emissions, completely extortionate .:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mystery_man

Why is revenue so confusing.. I can't get a straight answer out of anyone. I have a Vito long wheel base that I'm in the middle of converting. I definitely don't have 1.8m internal head height.. as I'm not going pop top. At least not right away.. I was told that it doesn't matter that I can still register it as a camper but now in not so sure. Has anyone here tried?.. I'm assuming it's the same for all Vito, T4s, T5s etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can still register it as a camper. You will have to get your insurance through the motorcaravan club though.
    Note that this thread is from 10-12 years ago, and the rules have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You can register it but the insurance companies are swamped by chancers trying to pull a fast one on rax and insurance. Look into that now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Can anyone tell me whether or not a converted camper van needs a side or rear window?

There's mention of a window in the DVLA rules but not in the Irish rules. Im going to put a sunroof in mine, but I prefer to have privacy and no side windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mystery_man

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me whether or not a converted camper van needs a side or rear window?

There's mention of a window in the DVLA rules but not in the Irish rules. Im going to put a sunroof in mine, but I prefer to have privacy and no side windows.

I've just completed my conversion on a Renault Traffic. It was pretty straight forward. Revenue were great to deal with although they did value it a bit higher than I expected.I put two side windows in mine and I'm actually going to add more. However, it's my understanding that you need at least one window in the rear for revenue to do the conversion on the log.

I've just completed my conversion on a Renault Traffic. It was pretty straight forward. Revenue were great to deal with although they did value it a bit higher than I expected.I put two side windows in mine and I'm actually going to add more. However, it's my understanding that you need at least one window in the rear for revenue to do the conversion on the log.

Thanks, it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere.
    I might see if I can get a slide door with a window, easier than cutting and sealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

When you done the conversion did you need to get it signed off by a sqi before going to revenue? Also, what height was your van roof? Thanks

Thanks, it's not explicitly mentioned anywhere.
    I might see if I can get a slide door with a window, easier than cutting and sealing.

Mentioned here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/conversions/specific-vehicles.aspx

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thanks,
    "It is expected that the living accommodation space in the rear compartment would have side windows."

Strange that i don't see it on the RSA website and its not listed in the requirement.
    Is it required or just "expected" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Thanks,
    "It is expected that the living accommodation space in the rear compartment would have side windows."

Strange that i don't see it on the RSA website and its not listed in the requirement.
    Is it required or just "expected" ?

Not required in legislation nor is the 1.8m but insurance company may require for group scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Can you tell me roughly how much VRT they charged you and what they valued your van at? Also who did you go with for insurance? Was it expensive?

sh__93 wrote: »
    Can you tell me roughly how much VRT they charged you and what they valued your van at? Also who did you go with for insurance? Was it expensive?

I haven't gotten to the conversion stage, but Axa insured my van for a touch under 500 euro.
    I needed the van for driving around for wood and other conversion supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

have the regs changed since Mar 2020 as I understand its easier somewhat to do a conversion? I am looking at converting our VW shuttle to camper. Cant find any definitive guidelines online. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So regarding the 1.8m height.

If I’m above that the VRT is cheaper and I have more options regarding insurance companies to shop around ??

Finding a suitable van or minibus to convert here is tough going. Allot of vans are terribly abused and minibuses seem to Be Ford Transits which I think fall under the 1.8m height.

We’re planning to do an over winter conversion but looking at finding a van is hard.

_Brian wrote: »

If I’m above that the VRT is cheaper and I have more options regarding insurance companies to shop around ??

Finding a suitable van or minibus to convert here is tough going. Allot of vans are terribly abused and minibuses seem to Be Ford Transits which I think fall under the 1.8m height.

We’re planning to do an over winter conversion but looking at finding a van is hard.

High roof is the only way though. IMO you need to be able to stand in your van.
    My conversion is nearly done, and my hair rubs on the roof, but it wouldn't be half as nice if I had to stoop inside.

High roof is the only way though. IMO you need to be able to stand in your van.
    My conversion is nearly done, and my hair rubs on the roof, but it wouldn't be half as nice if I had to stoop inside.

Agreed.
    We’re used to the comfort of the caravan, don’t want the camper to feel too cramped.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    have the regs changed since Mar 2020 as I understand its easier somewhat to do a conversion? I am looking at converting our VW shuttle to camper. Cant find any definitive guidelines online. Thanks

No changes that I’m aware of.

The roof height makes no difference to VRT.
    The VRT is purely based on the value Revenue put on the finished van.

Where 1.8m is handy (aside from not bumping your head) is in getting insurance, a lot of companies won’t take on anything with less than 1.8m

How many beds/seats are you planning on having, do you need a shower/toilet on board?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The roof height makes no difference to VRT.
    The VRT is purely based on the value Revenue put on the finished van.

Where 1.8m is handy (aside from not bumping your head) is in getting insurance, a lot of companies won’t take on anything with less than 1.8m

How many beds/seats are you planning on having, do you need a shower/toilet on board?

Planning 4 beds and a toilet

• Advertisement

Planning 4 beds and a toilet

Look at an L4H3 size Ducato/Boxer/Relay. Will fit 2 transverse full size bunks with ease in the back end.

If you splash out on a double rear seat bed you’d even get all you need into an L3H2 but it would be tight

Advertisement