Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail Gun

Options
  • 13-08-2020 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

looking to get a nail gun to first fix wooden slats to build the rails for a deck

hiring one doesnt make sense as I'd be doing it over a period of time

any recommendations for a good one that isnt too expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Paslode is the job, very expensive but you will get a deal on eBay,adverts etc.They come in first and second fixing so make sur your looking at the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I've the dewalt first fix gun and find it OK.
    I know a few lads who've had trouble with them.
    I only wish they included a quick release mechanism for unblocking jams when you hit a knot.
    I've the dewalt kit so makes sense to have the guns battery wise.
    If you've any cordless tool kit it would make sense to buy the equivalent bare nail gun.
    Hikoi (Hitachi) do a nice gun on board compressor mechanism
    Dewalt use a fly wheel mechanism
    Paslode use a gas powered mechanism.
    Of If you've a half decent compressor and are only doing a one of job and air line gun would be the cheapest option.
    Dewalt,Bostich,Makita, Senco all good options

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Decent recent comparison video of cordless framing nailers.

The DeWalt DCN692 seems quiet, good and cheap and you're more likely to share the battery system with other tools (but make sure it's the gen 3).

Not as cheap as a hammer though...

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt-dcn692n-xj-18v-xr-brushless-1st-fix-framing-nailer-90mm-body-only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    looking to get a nail gun to first fix wooden slats to build the rails for a deck

hiring one doesnt make sense as I'd be doing it over a period of time

any recommendations for a good one that isnt too expensive?
    Are you looking for cordless or air gun.also do you have any other cordless tools that you can use the battery from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

At the moment its a one off job but who knows if I'd ever get to use it again
    The deck railing I'm putting up is big enough so I'll get a bit of use from it

The only other cordless tool I have is a Makita cordless drill, but I'm down to one battery on it and will be needing that for the job, however I will be looking at getting a spare battery for it soon
    PA14 14.4V 1.3Ah

In terms of battery or air, I've not looked into either types

I'll look at the above video for some help aswell

• Advertisement

The ones that don't take gas are for finish nailing.
    18g ,more like pin guns.
    Too light for studwork etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The ones that don't take gas are for finish nailing.
    18g ,more like pin guns.
    Too light for studwork etc
    That is apparently no longer the case. Battery only framing nailers are a thing now. That video I posted gives various comparisons of penetration, including with hardwood and LVL and it seems that the battery only nailers can at least hold their own against Paslode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

+1
    Watch the video and then decide

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I am looking at getting a nail gun but really not sure what to buy that will suit my needs. I am looking to do a bit of DIY indoors, skirting, fixing creaking floors and stairs and few other jobs smaller jobs.

Is there anyone here similar who has picked one recently they can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd need a finishing gun for skirting not a nail gun. And for creaky floors your better off with screws to keep boards on situ un moving. Better grip from the threads.

In terms of finishing gun I've Ryobi 18g airstrike and it's an incredible machine. Highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

listermint wrote: »
    You'd need a finishing gun for skirting not a nail gun. And for creaky floors your better off with screws to keep boards on situ un moving. Better grip from the threads.

In terms of finishing gun I've Ryobi 18g airstrike and it's an incredible machine. Highly recommend it.

The creaky floor is finished with nails and thought using this approach with glue would be a better finish long term. I was planning on lifting all the floors before fixing them.

The Ryobi I have come across a few times, all their tools get great reviews.
    Can you tell where you picked your own and was a battery included? I looked around before and seems to be hard to find, must be a shortage of stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Klopp wrote: »
    The creaky floor is finished with nails and thought using this approach with glue would be a better finish long term. I was planning on lifting all the floors before fixing them.

The Ryobi I have come across a few times, all their tools get great reviews.
    Can you tell where you picked your own and was a battery included? I looked around before and seems to be hard to find, must be a shortage of stock?

Bought it about 4 years back. Amazon with battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

You might want to consider the powder-actuated tool. The Hilti DX 460 MX or the Simpson PTP. Are you contracting, or just doing some work around the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

snotboogie wrote: »
    You might want to consider the powder-actuated tool. The Hilti DX 460 MX or the Simpson PTP. Are you contracting, or just doing some work around the house?
    Op said they're doing some finishing work around the house the hilti is a tad unsuitable for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think this quote will be lost on some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think this quote will be lost on some :)

Don't let a knee or elbow get in the way:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

About 5 jobs last month.

Advertisement