Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Accommodation for the mid-30s

Options
  • 13-08-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am mulling over a move to Dublin from South Donegal for work.

I am single and 34yo and don't expect to earn a lot initially anyway so renting solo is out of the question.

That leaves house shares I guess. Is it common to share at this age? Where best to find like minded house mates? I don't see any age filter on Daft.ie.

How old do house shares tend to go? Up to 40 year olds?

Obviously, I'd hope to be in a position to buy eventually either solo or as a couple. I have a property at home.

I'm really at a cross-roads career wise with limited opportunity where I am at the moment. But I'm also so unsure of the accommodation situation and how in works in Dublin which has led me to refuse good job offers there in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

I had a room available in a house share and had people of all ages viewing it. You might be in a better position actually given your age! House shares are still expensive though and there's a lot of compromises involved with sharing common areas etc. Have you any particular area in mind or price point? No harm in making the move to Dublin if you've no family commitments at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It'd be important to find a share with similar age people. Back when I was a student, a friend of mine had a guy in his late 30s in his house share full of students and it was pretty awkward. You might also have luck with getting a room in an owner occupied house (aka rent a room).

Is it common to share at this age? Where best to find like minded house mates?

It's common, yep, since it's so difficult to get on the property ladder here if you're single. When I was mid-20s I was sharing with someone in their early 30s and someone in their late 30s.

Anecdotally speaking, most people I know in their 30's who are sharing have lived together or known each other for a good while. I'd say you might find it more difficult to find a good fit with housemates compared to someone in their 20s, who would probably be happy to take a punt on a random place on Daft.

If you're coming down here to join a large company, there might be an announcements mailing list or intranet site where you could put up a 'wanted' ad. You could contact the company in advance to ask them to post something for you. You could check residential facebook pages (e.g. Blackrock has 'Blackrock Village Dublin' facebook page) to see if they post that kind of thing. You might even have friends from college or school that moved down to Dublin that might be able to spread the word for you and let you know of any places. If you were very very brave, you could always try renting a 2-bed yourself and putting the second bedroom on daft. That way, you'd have control over who moved in, but there's always the risk that you'd end up paying the full rent for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 climbingpanda

I had a room available in a house share and had people of all ages viewing it. You might be in a better position actually given your age! House shares are still expensive though and there's a lot of compromises involved with sharing common areas etc. Have you any particular area in mind or price point? No harm in making the move to Dublin if you've no family commitments at the moment.

Thanks. Yeah, that's true there is compromises I know from having shared years ago.

It's a pity that there are not more apartments for single people. I was hoping co living buildings would come on stream but that looks doubtful now to.

I would intend to go back home every 2nd or 3rd weekend.

Living in a rural county really limits any career progression I find. There is no choice of employers like in the cities.

Advertisement