Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stenaline Daytrips to Holyhead from €5 return

Options
  • 22-05-2014 11:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

So Stena are doing this again, it's a bit daft to be honest but might interest some people.

I'm thinking of getting two o2 money cards and booking round trips in both directions (€20 total) a few days apart and using then as a cheap way of getting over and back.

Link here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

How does 2 hours qualify as a "day trip"? Would have been a good deal when the hss ran a proper schedule...

Edit: rant is directed at stena, not the op.
    Is the duty free on the boat really such a good deal nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Personally I would only use the ferry if I was going on holiday, but people like the adventure of a trip on a boat. The ferry has a cinema, bar, restaurant, play area etc. The destination, or time spent there is less important. The big thread on this deal last time around showed some people enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Personally I would only use the ferry if I was going on holiday, but people like the adventure of a trip on a boat. The ferry has a cinema, bar, restaurant, play area etc. The destination, or time spent there is less important. The big thread on this deal last time around showed some people enjoyed it.

I only use the ferry to go places where it makes sense to use the ferry, like North Wales.

I have friends living near Bangor and I like to go visit them for a few days now and then. Throw a few days worth of clothes into a backpack and away I go for €20 return, can't really argue with it. Getting their by flight would be far more effort as I'd have to fly to bristol or liverpool and make my way down, much easier to get the ferry and be picked up in Holyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Thinking of doing this with young lad, just so he goes on a ferry, are the cinema and everything free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Seaneh wrote: »
    So Stena are doing this again, it's a bit daft to be honest but might interest some people.

I'm thinking of getting two o2 money cards and booking round trips in both directions (€20 total) a few days apart and using then as a cheap way of getting over and back.

Link here

Thanks OP - I might do the very same. Been waiting for this deal to come up to give this fecker a go - http://www.zipworld.co.uk/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Myself and some friends were thinking of hopping on the train and going to some random place in Ireland for the day and then coming back to Dublin just for the craic. This might be a more enjoyable and cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

booking round trips in both directions (€20 total) a few days apart and using then as a cheap way of getting over and back.

is this okay?
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    Travel from Dublin Port at 08.20 hours and return from Holyhead at 13.50 hours.

is this okay?

I can't see how they could tell either way. You can't bring luggage but you'd be allowed bring a backpack with a laptop :-)

Two separate return bookings a few days apart and only use the outbound each time. Same offer is on the UK site for £5.

I can't see how they could tell either way. You can't bring luggage but you'd be allowed bring a backpack with a laptop :-)

Two separate return bookings a few days apart and only use the outbound each time. Same offer is on the UK site for £5.

oh, so I have to book the 'return' booking from the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

How does 2 hours qualify as a "day trip"? Would have been a good deal when the hss ran a proper schedule...

Not a day in Holyhead; but you leave Dublin at 8:20, and return at 17:05, which would qualify as a day-trip to me.

Sounds like could be cool to do with small kids for the novelty of it, or as a boozy student adventure.

• Advertisement

oh, so I have to book the 'return' booking from the UK site?

Yup.

Yup.

Time to get a bag packed

huge-backpack1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Last time I seen this offer you couldn't get off the boat at HollyHead

Nabber wrote: »

Maybe it changed
    This great value day trip is available Sunday to Thursday until 2 November, when you book 48 hours or more in advance. Depart from Dublin Port at 08:20hrs, hop off the ferry and return from Holyhead at 13:50hrs. Sail from only €5 per person on a Tuesday and €10 per person on a Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Nabber wrote: »

They are hardly going to leave people sitting on a ferry for 2 hours in dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm assuming you'd have a ticket in your name that they scan.
    So when you don't use the return leg, but then try to do a journey from Holyhead a few days later, you name would show up in the system as having not used the 2nd leg of the day trip.

I'm assuming you'd have a ticket in your name that they scan.
    So when you don't use the return leg, but then try to do a journey from Holyhead a few days later, you name would show up in the system as having not used the 2nd leg of the day trip.

I have a pretty common name in fairness... I seriously doubt they'd care.

I have a pretty common name in fairness... I seriously doubt they'd care.

When are you planning your trip to be on? :P I might wait for you to give us feedback on how it went on before I get it :P

When are you planning your trip to be on? :P I might wait for you to give us feedback on how it went on before I get it :P

I phoned them and asked a few questions.

Can passengers disembark in holyhead?
    Yes, you can get off the ferry in holyhead.

What happens if you miss the return?
    You would have to buy a single ticket on the next ferry at the normal price of €38.

Is there a penalty charge for missing a return leg?
    No, you'd just have to buy a new return ticket to get home.

And just to make it interesting, could I bring my bike?
    Yeah, you can bring a bike, it's a €5 or €6 surcharge, which you can pay at the ferry port when checking in.

Yeah, seems like a solid plan to me so far :)

I phoned them and asked a few questions.

Can passengers disembark in holyhead?
    Yes, you can get off the ferry in holyhead.

What happens if you miss the return?
    You would have to buy a single ticket on the next ferry at the normal price of €38.

Is there a penalty charge for missing a return leg?
    No, you'd just have to buy a new return ticket to get home.

And just to make it interesting, could I bring my bike?
    Yeah, you can bring a bike, it's a €5 or €6 surcharge, which you can pay at the ferry port when checking in.

Yeah, seems like a solid plan to me so far :)

This is perfect. Until when is the offer vaild? I know you can get tickets to Nov 2 or something but until when is the offer on the site?

• Advertisement

This is perfect. Until when is the offer vaild? I know you can get tickets to Nov 2 or something but until when is the offer on the site?

No clue, I only have the info on the site to go by, there is no end date specified on there so maybe it's until the second of November?

As an aside, it's a lot more attractive going the other direction because you get a few hours in Dublin and could have a little wander/few pints handy enough before getting back to the port because of the reverse time table.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I did this last year with some small boys and a granddad. It is what it is, you get on the morning ferry, parking is tight at the port, so you may want to get there early or take a bus shuttle from Amines Street (I think). Foot passengers are the last to board so many of the seats are gone. This only matters if you are a big group. You have the run of the ferry, free movies, kids play area etc.

When the ferry gets to Holyhead you just hang out on the boat, while they get it ready for the return sailing. This time you get to have any seat you like for the return. There are meal deals, something like two adults + kids meal £10.00 and we were all happy. We had a nice sunny sail and all had fun.

Was it worth it?

My boys were 8,6 & 3 and they loved it and have asked to go again, being on a boat, the free movies (OZ, Spiderman & Rio), colouring, running around the decks and Granddad buying them Lego is what they remember. Oh and they got a full can of pop each, none of them could finish it.

Granddad and I got to read the Sunday papers and Mum got a day to herself at home.

We also booked a cabin on the return for €15.00 just because we could. So yes for us it was worth it. The only downside was the boat is in Sterling, they take euros but it is a bit of pain going from one to the other

Wally Runs wrote: »
    I did this last year with some small boys and a granddad. It is what it is, you get on the morning ferry, parking is tight at the port, so you may want to get there early or take a bus shuttle from Amines Street (I think). Foot passengers are the last to board so many of the seats are gone. This only matters if you are a big group. You have run of the ferry, free movies, kids play area etc.

When the ferry gets to Holyhead you just hang out on the boat, while they get it ready for the return sailing. This time you get to have any seat you like for the return. There are meal deals, something like two adults + kids meal £10.00 and we were all happy. We had a nice sunny sail and all had fun.

Was it worth it?

My boys were 8,6 & 3 and they loved it and have asked to go again, being on a boat, the free movies (OZ, Spiderman & Rio), colouring, running around the decks and Granddad buying them Lego is what they remember. Oh and they got a full can of pop each, none of them could finish it.

Granddad and I got to read the Sunday papers and Mum got a day to herself at home.

We also booked a cabin on the return for €15.00 just because we could. So yes for us it was worth it. The only downside was the boat is in Sterling, they take euros but it is a bit of pain gong from one to the other

This time you could get off so it's even better surely. Definitely going on the trip. Thanks guys.

This time you could get off so it's even better surely. Definitely going on the trip. Thanks guys.

De Nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

think ill do this, the little lad loves boats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I assume by not getting off that you don't have to wait for cars to load first and so have a choice of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

I remember last year was a term, that people on the deal had stay in terminal.
    but cant see why not just make more money.

Anyways, if I decided stay overnight or in the surrounds with my 3 year old for the day has anyone any recommendations what we could do stay etc and come hoe the next day? Also 3 years old is free super bonus:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are hardly going to leave people sitting on a ferry for 2 hours in dock.

In the past they have. Corralled to the pub, cleaning around you.

Check the T&Cs with a fine tooth comb if planning to use it as a one-way; they often fine those who don't check in for the return the difference between the promotional and a one-way.

Holyhead is an utter dump. Dump beyond belief. The only place I've ever seen a chipper with broken windows open and trading or a bar with one staff member cooking food, serving food, and serving the bar. Imagine the docks in Dublin 20 years ago converted to a village and you've got it. Main street was a history lesson in bankrupt UK retailers - Kwiksave and Woolworths amongst others all still present.

MYOB wrote: »
    In the past they have. Corralled to the pub, cleaning around you.

Check the T&Cs with a fine tooth comb if planning to use it as a one-way; they often fine those who don't check in for the return the difference between the promotional and a one-way.

Holyhead is an utter dump. Dump beyond belief. The only place I've ever seen a chipper with broken windows open and trading or a bar with one staff member cooking food, serving food, and serving the bar. Imagine the docks in Dublin 20 years ago converted to a village and you've got it. Main street was a history lesson in bankrupt UK retailers - Kwiksave and Woolworths amongst others all still present.

I phoned and asked about this and they said "you'd just have to buy a new one way at full price to get home".

• Advertisement
Advertisement