Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Chiarrai92

I cashed in all my PBs the week of the prizes cut and went after other investments but been following this thread since to see how everyones been getting on

To see 4 out of 5 posters got a win today i had just had to log in and congratulate you all on your wins! Safe to say its been a great friday for the boards PB family!! Keep it up!

For the record i had 6k worth of PB in total was buying monthly since February and won 100 euro. PBs were good to me! Il definatly get back into them sometime in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

That struck me too - unusual to see so many good news posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Nothing for me today, last win was last Friday 19th August €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

€50 on the 26th too myself.

Must have been a glitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Hi does anyone know if you are able to add to your prize bonds or do I need to get another batch?? I have 30k in prize bonds atm I would like to add another 30k and have one big batch do I have to withdraw the 30k to do that and get a new prize bond for the value of 60k????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Negative_G

honey12345 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if you are able to add to your prize bonds or do I need to get another batch?? I have 30k in prize bonds atm I would like to add another 30k and have one big batch do I have to withdraw the 30k to do that and get a new prize bond for the value of 60k????????

Hi. The simplest method is to have a bank draft made out to the value you require and then post it, with a completed application form to Kerry. In my experience it can take two weeks before you receive your new bonds.

You will have 60k worth of bonds at this stage. The two sets of bonds will not run consecutively obviously as they were bought at different times. If you want them to run consecutively you will have to apply to withdraw the funds and then purchase a new entire batch of 60k. I wouldn't be bothered to be honest, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest having one consecutive large batch is any better than having several smaller batches.

Hope this helps answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

I was just talking about selling my €10k bought in early 2016 due to zero success yet, and then out of the blue 50 quid in the post today. I'm officially part of the winners club hahaha! 0.5% after 6/7 months isn't bad I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Welcome to the winners club. Hope you have many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭FoolsGold1

Nothing doing today for me.
    Last win, €50, last Friday.

No complaints here - 2 X €50 today!:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

It's about a year now since I bought my first batch and now have €6,000 worth and haven't won a single cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Negative_G

2nd September 2016: €50
    Last win: 26th August 2016 (€50)
    Winnings on €50k since Feb 2015: €650

First time I have ever had consecutive weekly winners. Nice surprise after two months of no winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us this week. Well done to those of you that won😀

Login today, the usual message ''Sorry, you have no new winners'' last win on 30k batch 19th August €50, batch purchased June 2016.
    20k batch purchased August 2015, winnings unusually came in pairs.
    4th 11th September 2015 €50s,
    4th 18th March 2016 €50s
    1st 22nd July 2016 €50s
    Total winnings on 20k todate €300.

My 100 prize bonds from the 1980s, €75 in 2012, €75 in 2013.
    The old bonds from the 1980s seem to be totally lost at the bottom of the pile, you seldom see old bonds listed as winners, but such is life.
    I live in hope, I dream big, there is always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 self directed learner

Interesting... I have an 1980's prize bond ticket and I have never won anything either. I have also discovered other people with even older tickets and zero winnings! It seems very unusual that none of the winners purchased their tickets before the year 2000. All the winners on the state savings website, including archived winners (which only dates back to 2013) all purchased their tickets after the year 2000.

Would love to know what over people think or have I missed something?

I am happy for the people that have won but still dreaming....

It seems very unusual that none of the winners purchased their tickets before the year 2000. All the winners on the state savings website, including archived winners (which only dates back to 2013) all purchased their tickets after the year 2000.

I understand what your saying, but we have to rid our thoughts of scams and conspiracy theories regarding prize bonds, it's a purely random selector of letters and numbers from millions and millions of prize bonds, older bonds, hmmm well it does happen, an AL prefix bond from 1989, I've a few AL bonds myself, sadly it wasn't mine http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1m-win-for-22year-prize-bond-holder-26806735.html, I live in hope, I dream big, there is always next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Interesting... I have an 1980's prize bond ticket and I have never won anything either. I have also discovered other people with even older tickets and zero winnings! It seems very unusual that none of the winners purchased their tickets before the year 2000. All the winners on the state savings website, including archived winners (which only dates back to 2013) all purchased their tickets after the year 2000.

I am happy for the people that have won but still dreaming....

I think you will find your wrong there about there been no pre 2000 winners
    If you go to the most recent results page and click on the "winning Bond" header, it will reorganise the winning bonds numbers list to oldest or newest winning numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm on the worst dry spell since I bought them a few years back, 13 weeks without a win. The longest stretch before that was 8 weeks. Prior to that I used to have a win with the occasional double win on average every 5 weeks. At least it provides some entertainment on a Friday.

If my figures are correct it would appear the PB fund is now about 2,749,741,176 Euro as of the end of August 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 439,958,588 bonds.

During August I reckon the PB fund grew by 33,647,059 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 5,383,529 bonds in each draw during September compared to August.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 1,529,411 Euro for each working day during August.

June's daily growth €1,786,487 old rate 1.25%
    July's daily growth €1,500,280 new rate .85%

If you go to the most recent results page and click on the "winning Bond" header, it will reorganise the winning bonds numbers list to oldest or newest winning numbers.

That's very interesting - I didn't know that facility was there.

And so it appears that anyone with some extra money is buying PBs despite the cut in prizes/prizemoney and despite the odds being so much against us. I think it was you, Agent Smyth, who calculated how often we 'should' win - relative to our holdings. Any update on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Has anyone ever won over 50 euro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've won the €100 prize twice over the past two years. Still holding out for one of the bigger ones. :)

That's very interesting - I didn't know that facility was there.

And so it appears that anyone with some extra money is buying PBs despite the cut in prizes/prizemoney and despite the odds being so much against us. I think it was you, Agent Smyth, who calculated how often we 'should' win - relative to our holdings. Any update on that?

I last posted that €100,000 in bonds should win 11 times in a year
    That was 11.69 to be exact it is now 11.81
    As the weekly prizes grow the odds of winning grow
    So yes a small change but not worth getting excited about

For smaller holdings just divide your euro amount by 100K and multiply by 11.81 to get expected wins, but remember this is a simple calculation to give the odds of winning, you may win more but will probably win less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 self directed learner

Thanks, l will do that :)

Sarn wrote: »
    I've won the €100 prize twice over the past two years. Still holding out for one of the bigger ones. :)
    If you don't mind me asking, but what's your holding, that seems to be crucial to the odds if winning.

Many thanks for that, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If my figures are correct it would appear the PB fund is now about 2,749,741,176 Euro as of the end of August 16,
    Which means at the moment there are about 439,958,588 bonds.

During August I reckon the PB fund grew by 33,647,059 Euro,
    Which means there will be an extra 5,383,529 bonds in each draw during September compared to August.

I would estimate that on average there was a net growth in the PB fund of 1,529,411 Euro for each working day during August.

June's daily growth €1,786,487 old rate 1.25%
    July's daily growth €1,500,280 new rate .85%

Not going to argue with those figures....

But just use the € sign where appropriate, instead of nnn,nnn,nnn Euro. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 2nd September 2016: 0
    Last win 24 June 2016: 50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on 25k: 2250

Hi, I'm planning on putting 100,000, maybe more into prize bonds in the next few weeks.
    Question is, how do I buy them?
    Do I just go in and buy 100,000 worth of bonds or should I buy them separately? Like four lots of 25,000 or something?
    Pretty clueless obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hi, I'm planning on putting 100,000, maybe more into prize bonds in the next few weeks.
    Question is, how do I buy them?
    Do I just go in and buy 100,000 worth of bonds or should I buy them separately? Like four lots of 25,000 or something?
    Pretty clueless obviously!

Buying 1 at a time would increase your chances by 7.954%

Only messing, if you read back a few pages, having 1 big block seems to be "luckier", though it shouldn't matter since numbers are picked at random. Up to you really.

Advertisement