Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behaviourist

Options
  • 11-08-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please recommend a good behaviourist in meath dublin area..i know there are a lot advertised but i want to get someone good

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Donna Lennox is on the North Dublin/Meath border. She's excellent. If you Google her, you'll find her contact details:)
    Karen Kelly is based in Swords, if you're nearer that side of things. Again, a super trainer and behavioural advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

https://www.dogbehaviour.ie/about-me

Recommended to me by a friend, haven't had a chance to use yet.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    https://www.dogbehaviour.ie/about-me

Recommended to me by a friend, haven't had a chance to use yet.

Feck! I forgot about Suzi! Yes, definitely worth a shout too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

DBB wrote: »

Hi is Suzi a vet as well ? ,having aggression problems with our boy and need to get it sorted asap ,
    our vet said there is a great behaviourist in Dublin who is a vet as well but never gave us their name ,

sorry for hijacking

Tony H wrote: »
    Hi is Suzi a vet as well ? ,having aggression problems with our boy and need to get it sorted asap ,
    our vet said there is a great behaviourist in Dublin who is a vet as well but never gave us their name ,

sorry for hijacking

No, she's not. But she is independently professionally certified in behaviour. I don't know any vets who have such behavioural certification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

100% a fan of Suzi. She's brilliant - smart, kind, intuitive and passionate about dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

No, she's not. But she is independently professionally certified in behaviour. I don't know any vets who have such behavioural certification.

I think a lady recognised as behaviourist works in UCD veterinary hospital or college but isn’t a veterinarian, maybe that’s who your friend is referring to?

I don’t know of any that are both but don’t feel it’s necessary. If your vet has ruled out anything physical then a qualified behaviourist should be able to help as they’ll have been checked over by veterinarian!

What sort of issues are you having? I’m sure you’ll find someone suitable to help :)

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I think a lady recognised as behaviourist works in UCD veterinary hospital or college but isn’t a veterinarian, maybe that’s who your friend is referring to?

I don’t know of any that are both but don’t feel it’s necessary. If your vet has ruled out anything physical then a qualified behaviourist should be able to help as they’ll have been checked over by veterinarian!

The issue isn't so much with physical health issues, it's with the diagnosis and treatment of psychological/emotional/behavioural issues, which the vast majority of vets have little formal training in.
    For what it's worth, there are a couple of vets that I know of in Ireland who have done post-grad degrees in behaviour. One of these is lecturing in UCD full-time, the other was a visiting lecturer there, not sure if that's still the case. However, there are no professionally certified veterinary behaviourists in Ireland. There are quite a few in the UK.
    One advantage to seeing a vet who is also a behaviourist is that if the animal requires treatment with psychoactive medication, it can be prescribed by the vet who's treating the behavioural issue. Otherwise, if an owner is advised by a non-vet behaviourist that their pet might benefit from psychoactive meds, they then need to go back to their vet to discuss having the meds prescribed, often with the input of the behaviourist. It's a small distinction and makes things a little messier, but a distinction all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

We are currently working on a new programme with Milo after a consultation with Orla Doherty from 'Animal Behaviour Clinic'. I think she's the vet people have been referring to.
    So far, so good with Milo but still lots of work to do! Orla was very thorough and put together a specific plan to follow based on his behaviour etc.
    Allianz cover the cost, if you're insured with them.

Best of luck on your journey. I know how tough it is but consistency and hard work really are the key to turning things around.

Advertisement