Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home office rateable...?

Options
  • 10-08-2020 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

As above, but for more context:

We run a small service business from home - completely from home, no other external office that is rateable.

The business is a service business, there is no stock kept at home, no manufacturing, no business conducted on the premises. All services are delivered outside the house.

All admin work is run from a workstation in the corner of the living room, it's not a seperate building from the main house or a even a seperate room in the house.

There is no expense recorded in the company accounts for heat/light/power as a percentage of the home bills.

So, rateable or not?

The main purpose of the question is that business has been decimated by Covid restrictions but the restart grant is only avaialble for businesses operating out of a rateable premisies, so I am wondering can we get rated to avail of the grant (which would be enourmously helpful at this stage!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Um. Think carefully - if you do seek to be rated, and if the business has been running for a while, will there be an issue about arrears of rates, interests, penalties for previous years? I don't know the answer to this question but I think you should check it out before doing anything hasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

That's kind of what I'm trying to do now....!

From my research so far, a valuation cannot be made retrospective so there should not be an issue with arrears etc (although happy to be better informed by anyone in a position to do so!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IIRC you will no longer be able to claim your gaff as a full PPR for the CGT exemption.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

IIRC you will no longer be able to claim your gaff as a full PPR for the CGT exemption.

I'd like to check that out, that is the reason why there is no charge against the company for heat/light/power - to avoid a CGT charge on any future sale. If making part rateable brings on this liability that is a definite reason not to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is only deducting capital expenditure which brings the loss of PPR into play, not current expenditure. Heat and light as current expenditure can be deducted but not repairs to the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Isn't the grant based on what you paid in rates last year?

There are other staffing supports

Advertisement