Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractors and hauling heavy machinery on the road

Options
  • 25-06-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a matter I am having with regards to heavy weights on normal farm tractors I've done a bit of research our tractor weights about the 8 ton mark and according to the RSA it's only allowed to haul 3 times it's weight which is fine because our heaviest digger is 17 ton and a 4 ton low loader we move buckets separately the tractor is 40k and everything is as should be on it just I don't have a lorry license one Garda said if the tractor is under 50k the w license will cover me provided the weight is right another said no not at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 zfml

If the trailer has brakes, don't think the weight of the tractor matters.
    Think the W license will be fine for tractor and trailer, regardless of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shane M89

zfml wrote: »
    If the trailer has brakes, don't think the weight of the tractor matters.
    Think the W license will be fine for tractor and trailer, regardless of weight.

Yeah the low loader is only about 4 years old has top braking system and the tractor has only a 40 k gearbox it's just a pretty heavy machine to be moving around I was wondering if we'd get attention from the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It depends on how often you're on the road with it, and whteher or not it's a major part of your business activity. Eg, it's ok for a farmer to move his digger between sites doing drainage etc, but if you're a contractor doing it every day, then you might run into questions about whether it's road haulage or not. This came about when too many construction outfits switched to fastracs and dump trailers/loaders to avoid having lads licensed on artics and trucks

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Yes once you have a proper low loader capable of carrying above the total weight of any machine and equipment you put onto it..all axles on low loader must have brakes and BE WORKING ..
    Low loader should have legal weight plate and usually twin axle will gross 18 ton .. 3 axle 25/28 all depends on design of trailer and axles fitted. Some might be 8ton. Common is 9 ton..
    Also all lights. Markings etc and adequate lashing chains to secure equipment or machines being carried.

OP. Unless you're already after drawing attention to yourself by the guards.. if you ensure all above is adhered to you shouldn't have any issues.. lads down my way transporting 22ton machines regularly with buckets and rockbreaker all on board. They get away with it till theres an accident But some of them are clearly well over their load limits..
    Just make sure you know what weight you're putting up on the trailer..

Oh yes the first cop is correct an ordinary w license covers.. no need for lorry license once you've towing with a tractor..
    Also a bit of common sense ..ie a tractor that's well capable of towing the heavy trailer.. that could clearly draw attention from cops..

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Yes once you have a proper low loader capable of carrying above the total weight of any machine and equipment you put onto it..all axles on low loader must have brakes and BE WORKING ..
    Low loader should have legal weight plate and usually twin axle will gross 18 ton .. 3 axle 25/28 all depends on design of trailer and axles fitted. Some might be 8ton. Common is 9 ton..
    Also all lights. Markings etc and adequate lashing chains to secure equipment or machines being carried.

OP. Unless you're already after drawing attention to yourself by the guards.. if you ensure all above is adhered to you shouldn't have any issues.. lads down my way transporting 22ton machines regularly with buckets and rockbreaker all on board. They get away with it till theres an accident But some of them are clearly well over their load limits..
    Just make sure you know what weight you're putting up on the trailer..

Oh yes the first cop is correct an ordinary w license covers.. no need for lorry license once you've towing with a tractor..
    Also a bit of common sense ..ie a tractor that's well capable of towing the heavy trailer.. that could clearly draw attention from cops..

Yes our loader is plated for over 20 ton and our machine is 18-5 ton with a full tank of fuel myself and the father would have a fair bit of OCD about checking weight and brakes and we only move that machine on its own with out the attachments we are contacting but the tractor is only 40 k but is a big horse powered brute

• Advertisement

Hi..yes all sounds good but as already posted..make sure your low loader is rated for a gross weight of around 24 ton ..that's to cover as you say digger fully fueled..and 4 ton for the low loader..
    Well you're well over 20 ton there..fair close to 23 ton gross.. just make sure the low loader is plated for gross weight above 23.. its irrelevant what any manufacturer claims..yes it might happily carry 26 gross.but if say the load plate states 22 well then you'd be illegal at anything above 22..
    Theres loads of tipper trucks around that have 12 ton rear axles and yet a 2 axle truck here in Ireland cannot exceed 18 ton ..even though the manufacturer has plated it to 20ton.. and 3 axle 26 max.and 4 axle..32 absolute max..
    If you're over any load plate gross weight it might happily carry the extra tonnage. But if the rsa ordered you onto a weight bridge you'd be totally illegal and deemed a hazard on a public road..

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Hi..yes all sounds good but as already posted..make sure your low loader is rated for a gross weight of around 24 ton ..that's to cover as you say digger fully fueled..and 4 ton for the low loader..
    Well you're well over 20 ton there..fair close to 23 ton gross.. just make sure the low loader is plated for gross weight above 23.. its irrelevant what any manufacturer claims..yes it might happily carry 26 gross.but if say the load plate states 22 well then you'd be illegal at anything above 22..
    Theres loads of tipper trucks around that have 12 ton rear axles and yet a 2 axle truck here in Ireland cannot exceed 18 ton ..even though the manufacturer has plated it to 20ton.. and 3 axle 26 max.and 4 axle..32 absolute max..
    If you're over any load plate gross weight it might happily carry the extra tonnage. But if the rsa ordered you onto a weight bridge you'd be totally illegal and deemed a hazard on a public road..

The total weight of our loader is 27 ton with a 22 ton payload and the loader weight about 4-5 ton our machine is only 18-5 ton by itself I'd have every faith that the tractor and loader are up to the task just a license issue with myself

Final post on this..you're 100% with your w class license..and clearly not overweight..safe travels..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 april319

Shane M89 wrote: »
    Hello I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a matter I am having with regards to heavy weights on normal farm tractors I've done a bit of research our tractor weights about the 8 ton mark and according to the RSA it's only allowed to haul 3 times it's weight which is fine because our heaviest digger is 17 ton and a 4 ton low loader we move buckets separately the tractor is 40k and everything is as should be on it just I don't have a lorry license one Garda said if the tractor is under 50k the w license will cover me provided the weight is right another said no not at all

My boyfriend got stopped by the guards with a john deere 7730 50k and tri axle lowloader with a 13 ton digger on the back. They took it off him and left him standing on the side of the road because he had no artic licence. The worst part was it was april fools day and no one he rang believed him so he was sittin inside the crash barrier of the main road for an hour before someone came haha. Ridiculous that the guards left him on foot on the main road looking back at it now. I think the grounds were that the tractor was being used for commercial purposes and not for agricultural use. Therefore it came under the lorry licence category. We had to get someone with an artic licence to take it out of the compound. Not sure if this was right or not we never really looked into it further but some guards do seem to think a w licence wont cut it. We did hear of other ppl saying the same down thru the years after .. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

That's where the issue of road haulage comes in. Lots of contractors replaced artic units with big tractors and got rid of the need for hiring lads with EC licenses, and having to pay them accordingly, as well as tachograph etc. Sure it's much easier put a young fella up in a big Fendt and have him move diggers and yokes between building sites. But that's not what an agricultural license is for

• Advertisement

april319 wrote: »
    My boyfriend got stopped by the guards with a john deere 7730 50k and tri axle lowloader with a 13 ton digger on the back. They took it off him and left him standing on the side of the road because he had no artic licence. The worst part was it was april fools day and no one he rang believed him so he was sittin inside the crash barrier of the main road for an hour before someone came haha. Ridiculous that the guards left him on foot on the main road looking back at it now. I think the grounds were that the tractor was being used for commercial purposes and not for agricultural use. Therefore it came under the lorry licence category. We had to get someone with an artic licence to take it out of the compound. Not sure if this was right or not we never really looked into it further but some guards do seem to think a w licence wont cut it. We did hear of other ppl saying the same down thru the years after .. ??

It's a 50k tractor you definitely need a lorry license for that speed am afraid just there's a grey area with slower tractors

TrailerBob wrote: »
    That's where the issue of road haulage comes in. Lots of contractors replaced artic units with big tractors and got rid of the need for hiring lads with EC licenses, and having to pay them accordingly, as well as tachograph etc. Sure it's much easier put a young fella up in a big Fendt and have him move diggers and yokes between building sites. But that's not what an agricultural license is for

Yes again the point I am making is those companies and types of tractors are all 50 k plus I know yes a lorry license is needed for that but mine is only a 40 k

• Registered Users Posts: 14 april319

Shane M89 wrote: »
    It's a 50k tractor you definitely need a lorry license for that speed am afraid just there's a grey area with slower tractors

I found this
    https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/contactor-court-appeal

The key thing seems to be if its for your own use or not. It defo is a grey area tho. Traffic cops are the worst with this kind of thing

Advertisement