Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car port planning permission?

Options
  • 07-07-2020 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Mods shift this elsewhere to the property area if inappropriate for classic section.

Query have any of you put up a car port in your driveway/ front of house area ? Do you need planning permission? I only ask as my classic merc spends an awful lot of time in an underground car park away from the rain and from me re tinkering.
    Just a small single car port on stilts would be ideal but it’s the planning I fear will be the catch.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Mods shift this elsewhere to the property area if inappropriate for classic section.

Query have any of you put up a car port in your driveway/ front of house area ? Do you need planning permission? I only ask as my classic merc spends an awful lot of time in an underground car park away from the rain and from me re tinkering.
    Just a small single car port on stilts would be ideal but it’s the planning I fear will be the catch.
    Thanks in advance

No planning required as far as I know because it's not a permanent structure, you can also build a pretty large extension to your house without planning but I'm not sure if this has to be at the rear or not. Anyway build your car port and dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kev1.3s wrote: »
    No planning required as far as I know because it's not a permanent structure, you can also build a pretty large extension to your house without planning but I'm not sure if this has to be at the rear or not. Anyway build your car port and dont worry.

Not quite. Everything needs planning , but there are exemptions.

Anything going to the front needs PP. There are no exemptions for temporary structures- thats inferred by people based on UK - but that doesn't fly here.

Exempted development has limits in size & height.

More here - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

Don't be afraid of going for PP - if you're buying an off the shelf system, you can ask your planning department about it for advice. Getting PP isn't the end of the world.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i'd say you'd need planning for a car port at the front of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not quite. Everything needs planning , but there are exemptions.

Anything going to the front needs PP. There are no exemptions for temporary structures- thats inferred by people based on UK - but that doesn't fly here.

Exempted development has limits in size & height.

More here - https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

Don't be afraid of going for PP - if you're buying an off the shelf system, you can ask your planning department about it for advice. Getting PP isn't the end of the world.

Great info & spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bemak

Go for planning and do it right. It's a very straighforward process - particularly if there are similar instances of car port structures in your locale. You can pull a pre-planning meeting together yourself with out getting a professional involved. Would just need an OS Map to show where you're located but some Councils accept Google Maps etc. The more you can show the better. You'll know pretty quickly at that point if it's a runner or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Thank you so much one and all for all your advice.

Advertisement