Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do Penalty Points Effect Classic Insurance.

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi I have had a completely clean driving record since I started driving 16 years ago however today in a lapse of concentration I found myself going past a speed van doing over the limit in a 60kph area. Completely kicking myself since! I'm not really worried about the effect on daily driver as if I get points and a fine it won't have much of an impact. What's worrying me is will I still be able to get classic insurance for my Toyota Mr2 Mk1 with penalty points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

yes...if you forget to mention them...;);)

most if not all companies ignore a couple of points, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

i heard it can take up to 6 weeks to find out in the post if you are got for penalty points is this true .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JK82

Thank you. I would of course be declaring them if I do get some. I'm usually so careful so I'm really angry with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Are you sure your friend "John" that was home on holidays from America wasn't driving?
    If "he" was to pay the fine for the points "he" racked up I don't think there would be any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

no points in 16 years:eek: sure you are not getting value out of your licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

Yes that was my experience too. I got a couple of points a few years back and rang the insurance company to let them know. They had zero interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My insurance (non classic policy) was loaded by around €30 last time round for having two penalty points for speeding. I'm not contending that its a lot of money but just saying it as so many people would seem to under the illusion that 2 or 3 points won't affect your insurance in the slightest. Five or six points or more and I'd imagine that loading would ratchet right up.

What a lot of people seem to ignore about motor insurance is that these sort of things vary across the board depending on the insurance company your dealing with..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I only have classic insurance and the renewal form states that i need to declare, but dont have any points. i would be more worried about voiding your insurance by not declaring. but it should have no effect on getting classic insurance , just have to possibly pay a little more.

Advertisement