Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Slidey wrote: »
    Speaking of ex military there was a 1987 Foden 6x6 Recovery wagon went for auction in Wilsons of Belfast 2 weeks ago.

The ad said it had only 1700 miles on it. Would love to know what it went for, she'd be handy in the snow!

i wonder did someone in co. limerick buy it? as there was suddenly a foden 6x6 driving around near bruff/kilmallock co. limerick and i'd never seen it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Blue Punto wrote: »
    A small bit of the Defence Forces disposal

IMG_0349.jpg

maybe not classics but dunnno where else these would go

I'd say that crane has no work done, terrible waste in these hard times, why don't they auction the stuff off like other countries and put the money back into the state? It seems to me nothing has changed.............and the story about terrorists buying them and using them? Utter sh!te if you ask me, any terrorist worth his/her salt would steal them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ali Babba wrote: »
    I'd say that crane has no work done, terrible waste in these hard times, why don't they auction the stuff off like other countries and put the money back into the state? It seems to me nothing has changed.............and the story about terrorists buying them and using them? Utter sh!te if you ask me, any terrorist worth his/her salt would steal them in the first place.

Hear hear, it's crazy what gets scrapped from the army with very little hours/miles up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

You could do some real damage to the gates of the dail with that yoke better than any cement mixer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭acmatman

The white ACMAT in the picture with the workshop body had 18000km on the clock ,the engine and gearbox were pulled out with a blow torch ,the Nissan Patrols were all 00 reg. there was abour 13 cut in half ,also Transit vans ,Man trucks trailers and the crane .The Army/Dept of Defence has a novel way of disposing of vehicles they send them out to be cut up .What they are doing is nothing short of criminal and a disgraceful waste of taxpayers money.The British Army will sell you a tank as soon as they are finished with it, our crowd based on some perceived threat to the State ,produce the gas axe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

shagman wrote: »
    You could do some real damage to the gates of the dail with that yoke better than any cement mixer. :)

why not just hire out a wrecking ball to do the dail gates

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

acmatman wrote: »
    The white ACMAT in the picture with the workshop body had 18000km on the clock ,the engine and gearbox were pulled out with a blow torch ,the Nissan Patrols were all 00 reg. there was abour 13 cut in half ,also Transit vans ,Man trucks trailers and the crane .The Army/Dept of Defence has a novel way of disposing of vehicles they send them out to be cut up .What they are doing is nothing short of criminal and a disgraceful waste of taxpayers money.The British Army will sell you a tank as soon as they are finished with it, our crowd based on some perceived threat to the State ,produce the gas axe.

would it not make better sense if they are going to cut them up,to use them as target practise for the artillery section or tank training

i would love an ex-army nissan patrol,if there is anyone important watching:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

oflynno wrote: »
    would it not make better sense if they are going to cut them up,to use them as target practise for the artillery section or tank training

i would love an ex-army nissan patrol,if there is anyone important watching:D
    ..........now's your chance to get any fixtures and fittings if you want to build a replica one and even some detailed photos, cos when they're gone they're gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Does some of the ex army stuff not get sold at auction? I remember seeing some old 99-00 transit ex army minibuses around here driven by civilians. I've also seen a few old patrols 97ish around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Does some of the ex army stuff not get sold at auction? I remember seeing some old 99-00 transit ex army minibuses around here driven by civilians. I've also seen a few old patrols 97ish around too.

Yes. Wilsons Auctions on the Naas Road sold DoD vehicles around 5-6 years ago. I recall seeing them in their auction yard.

Unless this practice by the DoD has stopped?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭aidhan

Spotted in Co. limerick. '78 w123 dsl, '76 w114 petrol, '87 318i
    Yard to be cleared in next few weeks..
    100_0748brown230eron.jpg
    100_0742brown230eron.jpg
    100_0744brown230eron.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well, spotted, kinda..........

....long story short: I know someone who needed a door for said Granada, and this was found, on one condition: we had to clear it from the field it was in.......

So, I strolled down to look at it in the yard yesterday, and it was remarkably......unremarkable and no, isn't salvagable.

Noting the auto gearstick, I decided to lift the bonnet to see what motive unit it had and.............lo an behold, if it isn't a 2.8 V6.

So, Galway Metal next...........pity - I'm sure the motor wasn't what put it off the road........

157970.JPG

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    So, Galway Metal next...........pity - I'm sure the motor wasn't what put it off the road........

I'd bet it was, but not because it was blown, but because of tax reasons. Did it run? Was it not a 2.9 EFi engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Those Granadas were lovely cars. Neighbour had a 2.9 in black many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Came across these old pics

DSC01907.jpg
    DSC01909.jpg
    DSC01908noreg.jpg

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That Cosworth has been on here before.

As regards the Granada, the banger boys love those ford v6s'.

hi5 wrote: »
    Usually the 2.8 on carbs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd bet it was, but not because it was blown, but because of tax reasons. Did it run? Was it not a 2.9 EFi engine?
    hi5 wrote: »

....mmmm, no idea. How would I recognise the 2.9 over a 2.8 ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Silvera wrote: »
    Yes. Wilsons Auctions on the Naas Road sold DoD vehicles around 5-6 years ago. I recall seeing them in their auction yard.

Unless this practice by the DoD has stopped?!

yeah, its stopped alright. I bought the engine and gearbox from a salvage garage who had a Ex-DOD transit. I did ask about buying the whole lot as it was a 98 van with just 20,000 odd miles on it..... but they refused me citing they're not allowed for civillian use/sale, and have to be broken for parts and an end of life cert issued when crushed or whatever.

Madness :mad::(

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....mmmm, no idea. How would I recognise the 2.9 over a 2.8 ?

Afaik, though open to correction, the 2.8s were carb fed, while the 2.9s on the later MK3 Granadas were EFi engines? If it's fuel injected it's a 2.9? Think they were the Cologne series engines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

As a matter of interest is this engine here a 2.9 that is just badged as a 2.8? (Not too good with Ford knowledge). A neighbour had one of these when I was a kid, a couple of lads "in the know" said the i meant it was for the Irish market :rolleyes:, took me a few years to cop on they hadnt a clue what they were on about. :o

granada_12-L.jpg

I only ask because I saw this on the German wiki page for the Granada. ("Einspriter" means fuel injected, "Vergaser" is carburettor, Vierzylinder is 4 cylinders, Sechszylinder is 6 cyl.)
    Motoren von Consul/Granada, Granada ’78 und Granada ’82:
    1,6 Liter-VierzylinderR-4(73 PS)
    1,7 Liter-VierzylinderV-4(70 PS)
    1,7 Liter-VierzylinderV-4(75 PS)
    2,0 Liter-VierzylinderR-4(99 PS)2,0 Liter-VierzylinderV-4(82 PS)„Essex“(Nur Großbritannien)
    2,0 Liter-VierzylinderR-4(101 PS)
    2,0 Liter SechszylinderV-6(90 PS)2,3 Liter-SechszylinderV-6(108 PS)
    2,3 Liter-SechszylinderV-6(114 PS)
    2,5 Liter-SechszylinderV-6(120 PS)„Essex“(Nur Großbritannien)
    2,6 Liter-SechszylinderV-6(125 PS)
    2,8-Liter-SechszylinderV-6(135 PS)Vergaser
    2,8-Liter-SechszylinderV-6(150 PS)Einspritzer(1976–1977)
    2,8-Liter-SechszylinderV-6(160 PS)Einspritzer(1978–1981)
    2,8-Liter-SechszylinderV-6(150 PS)Einspritzer(1982–1985)
    3,0 Liter-SechszylinderV-6(138 PS)„Essex“
    1,9 Liter-DieselmotorR-4(54 PS)von Peugeot zugekauft(Nur einige Exportländer)
    2,1 Liter-DieselmotorR-4(63 PS)von Peugeot zugekauft
    2,5 Liter-DieselmotorR-4(69 PS)von Peugeot zugekauft

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Afaik, though open to correction, the 2.8s were carb fed, while the 2.9s on the later MK3 Granadas were EFi engines? If it's fuel injected it's a 2.9? Think they were the Cologne series engines?
    AFAIK (and i'm not a Ford expert either), the 2.8 in the car bjapos posted was available in both carb and injection. All the later 2.9's may well have been injection, in readiness for the introduction of mandatory catalytic converters on 01/01/93?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Anan1 wrote: »
    AFAIK (and i'm not a Ford expert either), the 2.8 in the car bjapos posted was available in both carb and injection. All the later 2.9's may well have been injection, in readiness for the introduction of mandatory catalytic converters on 01/01/93?

Yeah 2.8's were injected - e.g. in the Capri 2.8 injection
    I don't know much about Ford V6's either (excpet that I think they are just boat anchors :D) but I think the 2.8 has siamesed exhaust ports for 2 cylinders each side and the 2.9 doesn't - or maybe that's the other way around..

Landy with a broken back.
    f65ce653.jpg
    Was on an SZX plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Thats an easy fix. A new galvinised chassis and a weekends hard work would see that back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

spotted these on another site ...

DSCF0721.jpg
    DSCF0722.jpg
    DSCF0723.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 classichunter

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

RIP

A Toyota, where it belongs... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭macautos

2cv wrote: »
    A Toyota, where it belongs... :D
    :eek: down with that sort of thing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

It's strange to see a 'boxy' Starlet that's survived this long scrapped, as rednecks seem to be going mad for them these days.

Advertisement