Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/classic-mercedes-420se/25921392

MTU4OTdmZDVjMGNlODg2MTUyNThjMzYxNTczZWVhZjeAzJNWyry9ejKLzlhR0Kk5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTYyMzkzMzV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Good price for a 126? 420 V8, nct expired last month, €5500

I suppose you'd never know until actually viewing it, but the fact that it was NCT'd until recently would be a good indicator at least, given the number of them going around having never been tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/range-rover/25471436

NDk1Y2U3NzMyNDhmMjNkZmQ2N2I0NGEzNTc4M2U3YTgkpfJgY8aUKifTbQdQfwAsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ2MDI3MjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

My old P38, sold it earlier this year. Great example that has had a lot of work done to it.

Lots done more to do😂😂

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Lots done more to do����

Have you viewed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Have you viewed it?
    Nah, but its a rr innit.?. A rolling tale of woe. Looks good tho, be a fun weekender

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/range-rover/25471436

NDk1Y2U3NzMyNDhmMjNkZmQ2N2I0NGEzNTc4M2U3YTgkpfJgY8aUKifTbQdQfwAsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTQ2MDI3MjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

My old P38, sold it earlier this year. Great example that has had a lot of work done to it.

Reminds me of the Metrocab from that angle for some reason! :o

blogger-image--1674244345.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

zinzan wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Metrocab from that angle for some reason!

Their body design is related actually, I did have a book about the history of the London taxis, can't find it now, but I remember reading about the connection with the Range Rover

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I suppose you'd never know until actually viewing it, but the fact that it was NCT'd until recently would be a good indicator at least, given the number of them going around having never been tested.

That's the thing. A good few years ago I traveled by train from Dublin to Cork with my daughter (the ticket cost a fortune BTW and there were plenty of people on the train, but I think the only one that actually paid for their ticket was me)

Got to Cork, met the seller, drove his W126 V8 that was reasonably priced, had current NCT and looked great in the pictures (at classic car shows). I had an envelope in my pocket chuck full of cash, ready to buy the car at close to his asking price. But boy was that car a disappointment. I guess it was ok, but it was a cumbersome boat to drive, the aircon was disconnected, there was "patina" on several body parts and I was so drained and disappointed after driving it that I did not even want to make the man a low ball offer. Back into the train we went.

Never meet your heroes some people say. The W126 is no longer my favourite saloon car of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I guess no matter how good a classic car was in it's day, it is likely to be a mediocre drive at best in comparison with a modern car. A modern plastic yoke like a Dacia would probably be a nicer driver than a W126, with better climate control, handling, brakes, radio, cruise control, transmission, etc. Even a fast classic will probably be left at the lights by a standard hatch. It's just the way it is. That Dacia will be bested in 10-20 years by whatever we're driving around in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think it depends on the car. Last October I drove a 1987 W126 500 SEC around southern Bavaria and Tyrol. Tight as a nut, rock solid and as good as any of the W126's I had in the 1990's. It wasn't for sale, it belongs to a mate, but because of its condition is worth €20,000.

Yes, they waft a bit, are slow compared to modern cars, and IMO every classic should have it brakes upgraded, but if they are well maintained they are still a pleasant drive.

There again, I tested a R107 300SL in NI about 18 months ago with the intention of buying it (it wasn't cheap) and although it looked great and had a very comprehensive history it was a total dog. Badly neglected mechanics over the past few years, poor brakes and the suspension was in bits. Had a new MOT of course.

outfox wrote: »
    I guess no matter how good a classic car was in it's day, it is likely to be a mediocre drive at best in comparison with a modern car.

True enough but my second W201 Mercedes (from 1987) was very tight to drive, a real pleasure. No rattles and literally drove like a car just a few years old, not well over 30.

Slow of course compared to nearly any car sold new these days and made for comfort, not speed or cornering :)

This car was exceptionally good though for a car that age. Most are not.

• Advertisement

I read an article above some lad in the UK who has a W124 estate. He said he really notices the difference at roundabouts, where Golfs and Fiestas leave him for dead. I've noticed it myself. The only way I'll keep up with an A4 or 3 series estate is if I floor it, and that's with a 5l V8.
    Wouldn't change it for the world tho.

What car is that outfox? I doubt it's a 5l V8 Porsche 928 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    The W126 is no longer my favourite saloon car of all time.

Take mine for a spin! You'll change your mind!

unkel wrote: »
    What car is that outfox? I doubt it's a 5l V8 Porsche 928 :D

Its a '95 W140 S500 coupe. Funnily enough, I was torn between the C140 and a 928. But the 928 I'd like is the GTS, which is pricey. I'm a Merc man anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

outfox wrote: »
    I guess no matter how good a classic car was in it's day, it is likely to be a mediocre drive at best in comparison with a modern car. A modern plastic yoke like a Dacia would probably be a nicer driver than a W126, with better climate control, handling, brakes, radio, cruise control, transmission, etc. Even a fast classic will probably be left at the lights by a standard hatch. It's just the way it is. That Dacia will be bested in 10-20 years by whatever we're driving around in then.

I think the trick is to admire it for how good it was for its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

That humber auto is a beauty.

Loads of character in that car, that you just dont see any more.

Pics look great..........but pictures always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭oceanman

dunno if its a bargain but its lovely ! Volvo

YWRhMDJiZjE2ODc3OTM2NTFiOGJhNmJkNWZiNThjMjQjHbN0RIV3Dg6Tp6wTMVO1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY5MTU4MDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭steinbock123

RobAMerc wrote: »
    dunno if its a bargain but its lovely ! Volvo

YWRhMDJiZjE2ODc3OTM2NTFiOGJhNmJkNWZiNThjMjQjHbN0RIV3Dg6Tp6wTMVO1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTY5MTU4MDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I was given one of these as a company car many many moons ago. It was not a nice car to drive at all. And the upholstery got saggy on mine very quickly, just like can be seen in the photos on this one. I seem to remember that they we’re assembled by DAF in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Had a diesel model in that exact colour. I think it was the slowest, noisiest, most uncomfortable car I've ever owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

They were developed by DAF as the DAF 77 but Volvo got the design when it took over DAF cars in 1975.

These sold like hot cakes in the UK from the mid to late 80s when they were already a ten year old design. A bit of a triumph of marketing and image over engineering and driving dynamics.

I was given one of these as a company car many many moons ago. It was not a nice car to drive at all. And the upholstery got saggy on mine very quickly, just like can be seen in the photos on this one. I seem to remember that they we’re assembled by DAF in Holland.
    Had a diesel model in that exact colour. I think it was the slowest, noisiest, most uncomfortable car I've ever owned.

Yes, I had a 440 for a shirt while - between cars car. Thoroughly awful yoke but it had a certain charm. This one even made me forget about that horribleness. I cannot think why !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Had a 360 for 7 years. Volvo 2 litre engine makes a huge difference, good neutral handling, nippy enough.

Yeah, the seats were not great - the frame on my driver's seat snapped at one stage...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭oceanman

i remember having one with a renualt engine, 1.4 i think, or am i dreaming! long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

They were developed by DAF as the DAF 77 but Volvo got the design when it took over DAF cars in 1975.

These sold like hot cakes in the UK from the mid to late 80s when they were already a ten year old design. A bit of a triumph of marketing and image over engineering and driving dynamics.

They were a strong car, was in one when it was wrote off, rolled twice, and ended back on its tyres, the only panel and piece of glass left intact, was the hatchback window, 5 of us stepped out of it without a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭CoBo55

oceanman wrote: »
    i remember having one with a renualt engine, 1.4 i think, or am i dreaming! long time ago.

Spot on. Same engine as the Renault 9, they put a twin choke Weber on it to try and coax a few extra bhp out of it to pull the extra Volvo weight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They were a strong car, was in one when it was wrote off, rolled twice, and ended back on its tyres, the only panel and piece of glass left intact, was the hatchback window, 5 of us stepped out of it without a scratch.
    We were proper rear-ended in my dad's one when I was about 12. Again, 5 of us walked away without a scratch but that was the end of the Volvo!

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-300e-12v-6cyl-1989/25723721

NmI1MmM2NTVkZGU5MTAyZjE5ZmM1OTYzYjRjMGZlMDOPOO2bWFTGPtIs8cWr7VFdaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTcxMTAwMjN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

YjcxMGViNTAxZWU3ZDg5YjI0YThhOWRlOTY0ZjA1YWKG-TitmnRfOf6igjUEroHoaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTcxMTAwMjh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very nice looking 300E with reasonably low miles and a new MOT which can be exchanged for an NCT, €3950

A reasonable sum for something like this I would think

Advertisement