Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart plug on 5ghz Broadband

Options
  • 09-10-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭

So I recently upgraded to SIRO from Vodafone. Speeds very good only its a 5ghz router and my smart plugs only work on 2.4ghz.

Can someone recommend new smart plugs that work with 5ghz?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most modern routers will work at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (dual band) at the same time. It is technically possible, but I'd be very surprised if the SIRO router doesn't also support 2.4GHz.

If it doesn't, then the other option is to get a second wifi router that supports 2.4GHz, it could be an old one you have lying around and use that with the SIRO router or completely replace the SIRO router with a decent dual band one.

I haven't heard of any smart plugs that work at 5GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

bk wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any smart plugs that work at 5GHz.

Really? That's surprising.

I can change the WIFI back to 2.4ghz on the router but I'd imagine that limits the speed of the broadband?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

I can change the WIFI back to 2.4ghz on the router but I'd imagine that limits the speed of the broadband?

You may be able to operate 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously. Log onto router and check the config.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

What are you referring to by 'smart plugs'? If you mean WiFi boosters, then you'd need to get something like the NETGEAR EX6120 which boost 5GHz signals too.

Signal boosters will reduce the speed you'll get from Siro, and 2.4GHz will also be slower than 5GHz. You'll only get the full 1Gb/s from Siro if you're wired in to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

On second read, are you referring to smart plugs that turn things on and off?

I imagine that the router is broadcasting both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals even if you can only see one name. Log into the admin console to check.

Unfortunately I have read that the Vodafone-supplied router is pants, so you might want to consider @bk's advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The vast majority of WiFi controlled plugs I've seen are all 2.4ghz only.
    That doesn't mean that you need to run your router in 2.4ghz only mode, just that the plug won't connect to the 5ghz channels.

@paulhardman Smart plug as in this one

Use them to turn off a few lamps, bed blanket etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

@paulhardman Smart plug as in this one

Use them to turn off a few lamps, bed blanket etc.

Your solution is a dualband router, not single and smart plugs. 2.4ghz is perfect for smart plugs, better penetration, range and no need for speed thatb5ghz requires.

Means you can offload stuff that doesn't need to be in your 5ghz network.

Like others said would be shocked if your router does not allow both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Use 2.4ghz for IOT, keep 5ghz for high speed data

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Use 2.4ghz for IOT, keep 5ghz for high speed data

Yeah, this is my recommendation also.

Have smart plugs for alexa and a wifi booster also (Virgin Wifi)

Use the 2.4ghz band for that and can revert to 5ghz when using the internet in the main part of the house

• Advertisement

How do you specify which band to be used with each product?

When i'm trying to setup the smart plug I just get the message that they're not compatible with 5ghz but no option to use the 2.4?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

When i'm trying to setup the smart plug I just get the message that they're not compatible with 5ghz but no option to use the 2.4?

If it doesn't support 5ghz it'll be using 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Disconnect from the 5ghz network on your mobile then when setting up the smart plug you should be able to choose the 2.4ghz network

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

So not all routers will pit out two bands that you can select 2.4 or 5. You need to log into the router and change the settings. So on my sky router this was the steps to have it broadcast on 2.4 and 5 un synced

* 192.1******* in web address bar

*select wireless

*user/ Admin     Pass/Sky

*Acess point

* to stop it auto selecting which band and creating two separate bands uncheck "sync 2.4/5G

*Apply

*select 5G setting and rename band sky.....5G

*Apply

This should allow you to see 2.4 and 5 and two separate access points so if you are using plugs like my teckin and sonoff switches then 2.4 is preferred. That said i changed to Vodafone last week and their router doesn't need to be un synced. Far better and more stable with sonnof which is notoriously unstable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Some routers, and some mesh systems do not allow to turn off any of the bands, and sometimes these devices will not pick up the correct band. In these cases you can lower the power of the 5G band to 10% and that would be enough to get you sorted. I had to do this with an Orbi system.

Yeah got it sorted in the end. Took a fair bit of tinkering around to get it working.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement