Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Results

Options
  • 06-10-2019 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Did anyone find the JC results a non event. The new grading doesn’t help & when it’s fully rolled out it won’t actually mean anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Icsics wrote: »
    Did anyone find the JC results a non event. The new grading doesn’t help & when it’s fully rolled out it won’t actually mean anything.

The whole thing has no meaning now. Every one of my students ended up in merit or higher merit as predicted. Bands are too wide .
    The timing of results have compounded the problem. Students are SIX WEEKS into their Senior Cycle subjects. Their JC results used to help reaffirm their option choices. Now it is too late but sure they mean absolutely nothing anyway.

I feel sorry for the students. The merit in particular is way too wide. Students TWENTY PER CENT apart getting the saem grade is ridiculous. It is also next to impossible to achieve a distinction in Science (I have not seen the nationwide result breakdown yet but guess it is very low).
    How do you motivate students to really try their best for 3 years when they know their best won't be good enough.........
    How is that good for their "WELLBEING".

The sooner it changes again the better. And it will change. History has started the reversal hopefully

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

This explains the Junior Cert..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

km79 wrote: »
    Their JC results used to help reaffirm their option choices.

It used to be a qualification. The fact it's was reduced/ twisted to "reaffirm their choices" already made it meaningless.

In my view if by the time a student gets to 15 if they don't have a european language at conversational level, a decent skill like computer programming or actual skills that make them employable, the entire system needs to be torn down and rebuilt. 10 junior cert subjects with mandatory irish and a weird forcus on academia which for most students means rote learning.. There's nothing to build on for leaving cert. Just more garbage and a system designed to dole out grades that are meaningless for most for deciding college places

60% in anything doesn't mean they know most of it. It means they memorised or cheated or learned off the easy bits. Id rather see fewer subjects with a focus on making a student competent in something by graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

antix80 wrote: »
    It used to be a qualification. The fact it's was reduced/ twisted to "reaffirm their choices" already made it meaningless.

Agreed....it used to have some substance to it..in science anyway (except for the ridiculous attempt to shoehorn in "project work" i.e.: coursework b....thats the only part of the new "specification" that improved the old JC science syllabus imo (btw we don't say syllabus anymore as it would be wrong to detail exactly what a teacher needs to teach and a student needs to learn now apparently) - + new jargon justifies change for the sake of change
    a weird forcus on academia which for most students means rote learning.. There's nothing to build on for leaving cert.

While I take your point to some extent as the vast majority of young people go through the system and there are huge differences between them (and a one size fits all policy is going to struggle the more diverse the cohort going through it) ...lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater .... most young people still prepare for the JC in a school...it would be weird if there wasn't some sort of focus on academia in my opinion...sort of like if you went to the local marathon club and someone was complaining about the weird focus on aerobic fitness and endurance

unless of course the word academia means something different to the both of us, for me it means

"an environment or community concerned with the pursuit of research, education, and scholarship"

and that to me was always one of a schools important functions

it was the focus on other stuff to tick a box or under the guise of so called "reform" that had me bemused

Just more garbage and a system designed to dole out grades that are meaningless for most for deciding college places

if you are talking about the JC and in particular what it has turned into then regrettably I wholeheartedly agree

if its the LC then its still quite relevant to a lot of students for deciding college places
    60% in anything doesn't mean they know most of it. It means they memorised or cheated or learned off the easy bits.

For a lot of students I agree completely (there are students that 60% is genuinely a major achievement and that shouldn't be forgotten)

the fact that so many able students are delighted with a pass despite the fact they are capable of so much more speaks volumes about the lack of focus on academia now in favour of nebulous horse**** like wellbeing + all the moronic box ticking thats being foisted on the profession by parasitic quangos etc desperate to justify their existence ....

Id rather see fewer subjects with a focus on making a student competent in something by graduation.

I think I could agree here too however I suspect you will be waiting because schools/the education system is reactive by its very nature ...they have to respond to external pressures and the prevailing culture.....I also suspect the two of us could have very different views on what that would look like ...I for instance would not like a UK style version of this which is even worse than what we have here

Theres not enough support out there for actually expecting people to do something valuable and letting them have that character building experience of telling them they failed when they don't bother making an effort.....the people themselves don't want it.....so they will get what they want (through not caring/engaging/calling the powers that be to order) until they don't want it and do something about it

Ill leave you with the below, well worth a watch for insight into just some of whats been happening in our education system

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have loved if the old new Junior Cert. (of 1992) had been properly implemented, with all its expensive externally assessed practical/project work in all subjects.

The future, with common level exam papers, which for some are still very easy while for others still too difficult is not a good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement