Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Cert - name of a widow?

Options
  • 03-09-2018 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

On a 1930s marriage certificate where the woman's status is widowed - is the surname of the woman her original maiden name or is it her former marriage name?

Edit: the copy I have hasn't included the fathers names which should be to the right. If nobody knows, I'll get a full copy from the GRO some time to verify.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

In the couple of cases I've had like this, it is deceased husband's surname that is used as the widow's/bride's surname..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

1930s marriage will be freely available online on irishgenealogy.ie

Usually the index will show her current surname, i.e. that of her first husband, but the actual cert show should show her original name in the format "Elizabeth Murphy alias Ryan" and then the father's name will be Ryan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement