Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noctilucent clouds 2014

Options
  • 11-06-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

Bit later than last year but there have been nice displays reported over Europe the past week.
    A faint but nice display of them outside now.

Pic from Poland last night
    Piotr-Majewski-2014-06-09-NLC_TCA_radiotelescope_1402359304_lg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i was just thinking about these this evening, thinking i hadn;t seen them yet this year, went out looking around 11:30 but nothing. was out a little while ago and I could see the faint glow alright. Nice to see them back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Yes indeed:)..Faint but definitely noctilucent clouds and i so wish i had a decent camera to do them justice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Noticed them last night coming home and managed to grab a poorish photo, if they hang around for a while hopefully I'll be better prepared.

310447.jpg

Not sure if noctilucent clouds or the faint hint of sunlight still to the north. Always gets me this time of year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice display of them again tonight.

• Advertisement

fantastic display tonight - please someone with a decent camera take pictures of them :D

-edit-

taken with my cellphone, the area inside the blue rectangle is the display.

a14ze8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Brilliant! Never seen them before, didn't think it was possible with all the artificial light in a city.
    edit: I'm kicking myself for being too lazy to get out the camera! Hopefully tonight there will be a repeat and I'll be prepared.
    It really was an unusual sight to see the northern horizon all lit up at 0215 but you will need a clear view of the horizon with no trees or buildings blocking the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

Nice looking display from north co Dublin tonight. Wish I had a better camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah they look amazing from Dublin tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a brilliant display tonight - much better than Tuesday night,
    Strange that I never saw them before this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Nice view Dublin 5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Great show in Waterford City tonight. Probably the best i have seen in these parts. Shame my camera is not up to the job but will post this pic anyway.

311499.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

From the Louth Weather Facebook page. Noctilucent clouds in the area in the last night or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

19th June from Dublin 6W

311662.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Howth Friday Morning

howth-noctilucent-clouds-june-2014-1_zpsf4acd974.jpg

howth-noctilucent-clouds-june-2014-2_zpsb96cf4c8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

I misread the thread title as "Nonchalant clouds" and clicked in wondering what on earth they were....
    But just to say some lovely pics, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

I can never tell if that's just the glow in the sky from the sun being just below the horizon in high summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

A few images of noctilucent clouds as seen from Downhill Beach, Northern Ireland last night around 1:30am.

14344157697_04c59fdfbc_h.jpg

14507531316_a23089eaa1_h.jpg

14344035638_50ff9c9bbf_h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

More noctilucent clouds visible tonight!

14360776020_bf1c14fb00_b.jpg

Advertisement