Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI Records

Options
  • 10-11-2011 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Ancestry.co.uk offering free access to WWI records from 10th to 13th November. Very small window but a good opportunity nonetheless, thought I'd take advantage. Unfortunately the man I'm looking for hasn't turned up there unless he lied on his enlistment form!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Ancestry.co.uk offering free access to WWI records from 10th to 13th November. Very small window but a good opportunity nonetheless, thought I'd take advantage. Unfortunately the man I'm looking for hasn't turned up there unless he lied on his enlistment form!!

only about 20% or 30% of the records survived bombing in WW2 and many of those are burnt and water damaged. PM me ,or put them up here, his details and i'll have a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Ano that sites **** isn't I've looked for like 20 minutes now and I canny find Wgat I'm looking for when I put in county Londonderry I expect results for northern Ireland not friggen England and when I put my surname in I don't expect a different variant Ie smith coming out as Smithfield etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

owenc wrote: »
    Ano that sites **** isn't I've looked for like 20 minutes now and I canny find Wgat I'm looking for when I put in county Londonderry I expect results for northern Ireland not friggen England and when I put my surname in I don't expect a different variant Ie smith coming out as Smithfield etc

Just choose 'exact name' to remove the 'smithfield' results.

It's best searched with full name and DoB I find. The place the person is from often isn't transcribed or is but with a street address or townland.

Yea i tried that and it worked but now i don't know which one it is because it dosn't give a location. I know who to look for because i found it on another site but i canny figure out which one it is on ancestry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yea i tried that and it worked but now i don't know which one it is because it dosn't give a location. I know who to look for because i found it on another site but i canny figure out which one it is on ancestry

You'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and go through all the records :)

Many service records which survived have the persons place of birth, where they signed up and often next of kin information.

Smith though may be a popular name :)

• Advertisement

No the person is in the medals records but there's no Way of finding out who it is because they don't give a location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Could it be to do with the fact that there is a village called Londonderry in Yorkshire? Maybe the site thinks you mean there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

using Derry in the keyword field brings up 885 entries in the WW1 service records area of Ancestry. Of these,

1. you will get Derry Lane, Middlessex
    2. a couple of entries in Surrey
    3. a couple of entries in Yorkshire
    4. Derry Hill, Wiltshire (just down the road from me)

A few transcription errors in there and a couple of entries are L Derry and London Derry.

Only 3 Smith records for Derry.

2 records for a William Smith, born Derry 1867, enlisted Royal Scots Fusiliers 1885. No 1304.

James Smith, b 1892 Limavaddy Derry, no 3/21858 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

11 Smith records listed when the keyword is Londonderry.

447 records are returned for Derry as the keyword in the WW1 Pension records.

3 Smith entries for Derry. James Smith, no 227, 10th Highland Light Infantry. Enlisted 20/8/1914 but discharged a short while later as not likely to make an efficient soldier. James Smith of 36 Cedar St, Londonderry, no 56207, RGA. The other Smith is from Derry St, Wolverhampton.

10 Smith pension records when using Londonderry as the keyword.

NAW my surname isn't smith I was using that as an example I searched for this boy and I was trying to find extra info about him but I found nothing his name is John cummins he's in this site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/roh/rohdunboe1.html I waslooking for him but nothing would come up... Mind you my g grandmothers surnames smith I'm sure they were in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

NAW my surname isn't smith I was using that as an example I searched for this boy and I was trying to find extra info about him but I found nothing his name is John cummins he's in this site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/roh/rohdunboe1.html I waslooking for him but nothing would come up... Mind you my g grandmothers surnames smith I'm sure they were in it too

But it seems that it's worth trying "Derry" in the search as well as "Londonderry" as both names seem to have been used in records.

• Advertisement

Well it's closed now because it's after 12pm :(

Advertisement