Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord or Renter?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Did Griffiths Valuation only cover country areas? I want to know if my Grandfather owned his house in Dublin, or rented it, I thought he rented but a family member suggests he owned it. How can I find out this info please? I've never heard of a will either - what's the best way to find out if he left a will. I think he died in the 1940's. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No it covers the whole island... If you goto this site and type I'n his surname and the area he lived In it should pop up it won't pop up if he didnt own or rent land http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very few people left wills until relatively recently - unless they had property to dispose of - probate office will have records if he took out probate (which is not always necessary).

Griffiths (done 1840s - 1860s) is surely too recent if your grandfather died in the 1940s? You could check the cancelled valuation books in the Valuations office (where they keep the records of rate payers www.valoff.ie)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I check out those sites, thanks Owenc and PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I check out those sites, thanks Owenc and PP.

Did you find him?

Did you find him?

Sorry didn't get back to you. No I didn't find him. Beginning to wonder if my information is correct now. So so many brick walls in my tree it's just not funny any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Have you tried local authority ratebooks?

Actually didn't know about the local authority ratebooks. How far back do they go? Are they in NLI or NAI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I haven't used ratebooks in Dublin but the norm elsewhere is that the creating local authority holds them. So Fingal Co Archive for the old Dublin Co Co area and Dublin City Archives for the city. Dates of surviving records you would have to check. Perhaps someone who has actually used them for though can advise.

Advertisement