Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Find my past tv show

• 19-10-2011 9:50am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's a new 10 part tv series starting tomorrow night on the cable channel Yesterday (Sky channel 537) and will feature ordinary people rather than celebs at 21:00.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/find-my-past-tv/about.html

Should be interesting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

Dam! I dont have the channel :( I'll be looking out for your review pinkypinky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I don't get that channel either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Me neither, maybe it will move to an accessible channel at some stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I didn't get to watch it yet but have it taped.
    Will report over the weekend.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ok, so it's quite good. The episode featured 3 people who had ancestors involved in Dunkirk in WWII. I don't tend to think of grandparents and great-uncles as "ancestors" but that's my own quibble. There was a strong element of history and exposition here. They have Nick Barrett, who was involved in the early seasons of WDYTYA doing the research. They also had a couple of veterans talk to the 3 people. At the end they met up and discovered how their ancestors were linked, although it was fairly clear beforehand how it would be. There was annoying recaps and "after the break" bits like on the US WDYTYA but over all it was pretty solid and I'll keep watching.

The next episode is on the Titanic so that should be interesting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Saw the Titanic one tonight and thought it was very good. I could feel myself welling up at one or two bits!

Yes, it was a vast improvement on the first episode. Who could fail to be moved by those firsthand accounts of the aftermath? I do still find it hard to believe that none of these people knew the details of their ancestors who survived the Titanic though!! The program has too many breaks with "after the break" and "earlier we saw..." padding. The meeting at the end could be handled a little better, but nyeh, I'm still watching it. There are more WWII episodes to come, which is a shame, I'd like to see them go further back in time on every episode.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

This sounds interesting... hope it shows up on one of the UPC channels at some stage.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Saw the Jack The Ripper episode last night. Was quite interesting, as I'd never really read up on it before and didn't know much of the story. Holy mother of God, it's so gruesome! :eek: Sent chills down my spine, and unfortunately after looking into it further, I came across some photos of the victims that I wish I'd never seen.

It was good - it and last week's episodes were enjoyable. I'm glad they've moved on from WWII - 3 episodes about it were 2 too many.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Probably WWII episodes to be expected as it's November and Remembrance Day has just been recently commemorated.

Advertisement