Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Availability of marriage records prior to 1920

Options
  • 04-11-2011 2:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

I am looking from some marriage certs from the turn of the 19th century. I notice the GRO website mentions marriage records from 1864 onwards yet these are seemingly unavailable from Certificates.ie. Can they be ordered in other way?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Don't use middlemen who seek to take a profit: use http://www.groireland.ie/.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Robp,

Have a read our sticky for the full details - you only need to send €4 per cert ordered.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056388162

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

certificates.ie is run by the HSE.
    I accessed it through the GRO website. The reason it's more expensive (€11) is that you get a proper certificate.
    For genealogy purposes the €4 option is probably sufficient but for a few cases such as my parents and grandparents I wanted the full certificate.
    This is what is available on certificates.ie

Records available for purchase on this site:

Births:
    Births registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1922 - present.
    Births registered in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland from January 1864- December 1921.

Adoptions
    Domestic adoptions registered with the Office of the Registrar General

Marriages:
    Marriages registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1922-present.
    Marriages registered in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland from January 1920- December 1921.

Deaths:
    Deaths registered in the Republic of Ireland from 1924 - present

Still-births
    Still-births registered with the Office of the Registrar General

The big advantage of it is that you can do everything on line, order and pay for cert and it arrives in a few days.
    For certs prior to dates above you must print out order form from GRO website and post or fax it. The alternative would be to go into the office in the Irish Life Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robp wrote: »
    Availability of marriage records prior to 1920
    Some may not be available due to the burning of the public records office in the four Courts during hte civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Civil BMD records (i.e. relating to Certs from the GRO) are intact - these were not effected by the events in the Public Records Office.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ah, because a friend understands that his father's birth cert (original record) was destroyed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Victor wrote: »
    Ah, because a friend understands that his father's birth cert (original record) was destroyed there.

most likely recorded under an unusual spelling or mis-indexed. Some birth may not have been registered, especially during the early years of birth registration.

As I understand it the Civil records were not held at the PRO.

The BMD type records destroyed in the Public Records Office were those registers (or copies in some cases) for the Church of Ireland parishes, which had been deposited with the PRO. Technically baptisms rather than birth records... Records for other denomination were not sent to the PRO.

S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Thanks. I missed that training sticky. That helps a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

do not forget the mormon records. They are free online

Advertisement