Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for starting my teaching career

Options
  • 07-10-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

Looking to sub in primary or post primary with my university degree, is this possible and if so what sites can I apply to? I am based in the west of Ireland but I am more than willing to travel.

Or do I simply start going in to each individual school and personally speaking to the principal.

I have recently been granted a number by the teaching council and will be studying with Hibernia in April 2020. I posted a similar post prior to this and caused quite an outrage by leaving out the above fact so apologies for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Audioh8 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to sub in primary or post primary with my university degree, is this possible and if so what sites can I apply to? I am based in the west of Ireland but I am more than willing to travel.

Or do I simply start going in to each individual school and personally speaking to the principal.

I have recently been granted a number by the teaching council and will be studying with Hibernia in April 2020. I posted a similar post prior to this and caused quite an outrage by leaving out the above fact so apologies for that.

And you will with this one as well ... you're still not qualified. There are plenty of qualified subs who are sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring/attending interviews etc.

You can't be half a doctor or a nurse. Why do you think you can teach without qualification?

I'm delighted that the Teaching Council have tightened up on issuing numbers without a teaching qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Audioh8

And you will with this one as well ... you're still not qualified. There are plenty of qualified subs who are sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring/attending interviews etc.

You can't be half a doctor or a nurse. Why do you think you can teach without qualification?

I'm delighted that the Teaching Council have tightened up on issuing numbers without a teaching qualification.

Hi there,

I apologise if you feel my message comes across as me having a sense of entitlement in regards to being a teacher when I am only beginning to study. However, I am aware that students in my shoes use the system in this way and so I am simply inquiring about it. I do feel the system itself is flawed in allowing someone like myself who is only in training to cover a class but if you are suggesting I should refrain from taking on any offer would be naive of me. It is an expensive course and the system allows for it then of course I will try and seek out any opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Have they?

Have they?

Have a look at OPs last thread, spurious posted it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111038696

Have a look at OPs last thread, spurious posted it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111038696

Did you read it? Spurious posted to highlight that the new 'rule' wasn't being enforced.

• Advertisement

Did you read it? Spurious posted to highlight that the new 'rule' wasn't being enforced.

You're right .... I had to reread it. I will it bring up at branch meeting again so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I really don't understand why the Teaching Council are dragging their heels on this. Yes, the FE arrangements created a loophole, but they have had plenty of time to get that closed now and to stop people actively using the FE loophole to 'get in'.

spurious wrote: »
    I really don't understand why the Teaching Council are dragging their heels on this. Yes, the FE arrangements created a loophole, but they have had plenty of time to get that closed now and to stop people actively using the FE loophole to 'get in'.

They're up to their eyes pushing wellness at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

spurious wrote: »

Same reason why they are restoring Gaeltacht grant for some teachers.

www.thejournal.ie/gaeltacht-grant-for-student-teachers-4844872-Oct2019/%3famp=1

Advertisement