Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business/Accounting Teaching - The Consecutive Route

Options
  • 04-10-2019 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

I wish to become a Business Studies/Accounting teacher in the next few years and am currently attending a one year PLC in Business. From this, I hope to progress into a Business degree, and then onto the PME etc..

I'm just wondering if anybody would be able to list any degree programs, preferably in Dublin or Maynooth, that is recognised by the Teaching Council to teach Business and Accounting on completion of the PME afterwards?

It'd be much appreciated if someone out there could help me out, as the CAO opens in just a months time :eek: and I need to start prepping for it :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

Postgrad10 wrote: »

I was actually considering that course at Mary I, but I live in Dublin and would hate the thoughts of leaving everything behind to go down to such a small village like Thurles. Plus in a worst case scenario, having a separate business degree and teaching qualification would expand your potential options, e.g. no teaching jobs available but plenty of jobs in the business sector etc.

4 years for hons business degree
    2 years PME ( the numbers for business places on the PME are restricted due to oversupply).

So 6 years in total vs 4 years.

You are still qualified to work in business even with a business and education degree.

Anyway, job prospects are not great for business teacher graduates. It will take years for you to get a teaching job even after qualification. I have to give you an honest opinion.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    4 years for hons business degree
    2 years PME ( the numbers for business places on the PME are restricted due to oversupply).

So 6 years in total vs 4 years.

You are still qualified to work in business even with a business and education degree.

Anyway, job prospects are not great for business teacher graduates. It will take years for you to get a teaching job even after qualification. I have to give you an honest opinion.

Now that you mention it, I also have another subject in mind. The new LC Computer Science subject which was introduced last year and will be first examined next year. Surely there would be plenty of teaching jobs in that subject available in the next few years? How I plan to qualify would be to do a computing degree (NCI have one which is TC recognised) and then complete the one year PGCE and NQT year over in the UK before returning to Ireland. Which sounds better? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Treppen

mark2912 wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, I also have another subject in mind. The new LC Computer Science subject which was introduced last year and will be first examined next year. Surely there would be plenty of teaching jobs in that subject available in the next few years? How I plan to qualify would be to do a computing degree (NCI have one which is TC recognised) and then complete the one year PGCE and NQT year over in the UK before returning to Ireland. Which sounds better? :confused:

Just from speaking to someone who did the pilot teacher course, I wouldn't be so sure there will be a high demand for it (from students or teachers).
    Id give it another 10 years before demand is sufficient enough to give you a healthy timetable. But maybe you could hone your skills in the UK as you suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

If you have an interest in IT, I would strongly advise you to pursue this over a career in teaching Business Studies. It is a heavily oversubscribed subject so unless you have connections, I wouldn't bank on a career teaching this subject.

I am qualified to teach Business Studies along with 2 other subjects and I didn't even put it on my CV when looking for jobs in Ireland as there is such an oversupply. Admittedly in England there will always be jobs, no matter your subjects!

mark2912 wrote: »

williaint wrote: »
    If you have an interest in IT, I would strongly advise you to pursue this over a career in teaching Business Studies. It is a heavily oversubscribed subject so unless you have connections, I wouldn't bank on a career teaching this subject.

I am qualified to teach Business Studies along with 2 other subjects and I didn't even put it on my CV when looking for jobs in Ireland as there is such an oversupply. Admittedly in England there will always be jobs, no matter your subjects!

I have always wanted to be a teacher and would hate the thoughts of having to abandon those plans :eek:

If I were to qualify in the UK rather than Ireland, and complete the NQT year over there, would there be a better chance of me getting a job over here when I return? Considering that schools usually want experienced teachers, and the workload for teachers in the UK is considerably more demanding than over here.....

Have a look at education posts, ETB jobs, and Etbvacancies and see how many business jobs are going today. Add a few extra and that’s how many were advertised in the summer. And people with many years experience will get those years. I know someone with 8 years experience who still had not got something for this year.

Advertisement