Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prerogative Marriage Bonds

Options
  • 17-08-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

As I understand it, a Prerogative Will is one where the person owned property in more than one diocese. Does it follow that a Prerogative Marriage Bond was where the person getting married had property in more than one diocese?

I am wondering whether a marriage bond being recorded in the Diocese of Cashel and Emly indicates that the man did not have property in the Diocese of Elphin, in which case it is not the man that another researcher thinks it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Earnest wrote: »
    As I understand it, a Prerogative Will is one where the person owned property in more than one diocese. Does it follow that a Prerogative Marriage Bond was where the person getting married had property in more than one diocese?.

Prerogative Courts were ecclesiastical courts which in their day had quite a big influence on civil law. Prior to 1857 (?) if a testator left property in more than one diocese the will had to be probated by the Prorogative court.
    Quite separately, to prevent clandestine marriages the marrying couple had to marry either by having ‘marriage banns’ read publicly or marry by licence, which was obtained by entering into a bond whereby they signed a declaration with witnesses stating that there were no lawful impediments to the marriage.
    Prerogative marriage licences were granted by the Prerogative court i.e. the Established Church/ Church of Ireland until 1857. AFAIK they were not related to the location of property, but were a legal alternative to banns.
    Edit - we had a discussion on Banns HERE

Advertisement