Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired vs wireless intercom and gate controller

Options
  • 21-01-2020 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

We are getting electric cable laid to provide power to electric gates and an intercom.
    We were asked whether we want a cat 5 cable laid for the intercom, or if we want to use a wireless one.

Are there any advantages to using one over the other?

Would there be additional holes needed in the wall or roof to connect the communications cable as opposed to only the electric cable?

My thoughts are that it would be better to get the cat 5 cable laid. We could still opt for wireless if we wanted.

Comments

Wired is always better and since it would be fairly easy to add it at this stage its a no brainer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Better to be looking at it than looking for it. Go with the cat5

I'd go with cat6 too rather than cat5 (though its probably cat5e they mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'd go with cat6 too rather than cat5 (though its probably cat5e they mean).
    They said phone cable actually; I assumed they meant cat5. But it's a good idea to specify.
    No benefit to using cat6 for this right now, but no harm having it for when we are transmitting perfect 3d holograms or whatever will be down the line technologically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Really simple there is a price difference. If each apartment needs a cable it will cost a fair amount. Depends on the size of the complex. Hard to believe there isn't an existing wire as I would expect that for the regular door use.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Really simple there is a price difference. If each apartment needs a cable it will cost a fair amount. Depends on the size of the complex. Hard to believe there isn't an existing wire as I would expect that for the regular door use.

I’d assume this is his own house and it’s electric gates and an intercom at the entrance to the property/driveway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They said phone cable actually; I assumed they meant cat5. But it's a good idea to specify.
    No benefit to using cat6 for this right now, but no harm having it for when we are transmitting perfect 3d holograms or whatever will be down the line technologically :)

They might literally have meant phone cable with RJ11 connections on each end (the cable you would have used for your landline phone).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Wired and they might go for 5pair poly poly either so best to specify with them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I got them to do a few IP67 sockets along the run as well, might be handy for you

Advertisement