Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons to request a copy of the Rent Book?

Options
  • 22-07-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

I rent though a letting agent. I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say I rarely enjoy my interactions with them and I've found we're all much happier if we communicate as little as possible outside of the actual transactions.

I've been paying my rent in cash into their account directly, but have been foolish and haven't kept the receipts. I need a copy of the rent records to apply for a mortgage, but I'm worried that if I request it from them and they realise that's what I'm doing, it could jeopardise my current living situation.

I suppose my question is, is the letting agent likely to react badly to me requesting this? Are there other - from his point of view - "innocent" reasons for me to request such a record or will they twig straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭DubCount

I know you have not always enjoyed good relations with your letting agent, but I doubt any letting agent would use this type of request as an opportunity to defraud you. I don't see the harm in asking !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

DubCount wrote: »
    I know you have not always enjoyed good relations with your letting agent, but I doubt any letting agent would use this type of request as an opportunity to defraud you. I don't see the harm in asking !

I've been paying probably under-market-rate rent for where I am, so I've been trying very hard to keep my head down and not contact him for repairs etc if I can avoid it (because every time I do the rent tends to go up)

There are snags he could plausibly decide required "major renovations" if he wanted me out to get somebody else in.

So my worry is, regardless of whether I'm approved for the mortgage or not, I lose the place I'm living now. I don't have confidence that's beyond them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘Im really sorry to ask, but I need copies of my rent receipts to claim tax relief. Big old dope that I am, I accidentally threw my copies out. Really sorry to put you to the trouble, but I’d really appreciate it’.

Job done.

Edit: Also, claim that relief, if it’s due to you. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

I aruged this with the RTB years and years ago. Basically the law is they need to give a rent book its about 2 euro in easons. However when you raise a complaint about not getting a rentbook damages are only and can only be awareded if you can show a loss by not being given a rentbook breach of tendancy law by the landlord or agent is not enough in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

OP isn’t looking for any redress. Just a record of the payments made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I work for an estate agent.

If they’re managing the property there’s no problem providing you with a statement of rents paid balance owing from their system. This is a standard request. They won’t bat an eyelash. They don’t care or need to know why.

As for rent increase if they are a proper agent they will know your lease start date and when they can review it. If your in an rpz the increase will limited to 4% pa. Anyway a request from you will not spark a rent increase.

Rent books aren’t a necessity where there’s a written lease in place which clearly states the rent. Rent book isn’t the question here anyway.

For your own sake I wouldn’t be paying anyone in cash going for a mortgage. Much easier for the mortgage provider to see clearly your outgoing son your bank statement. I’m sure much easier for you too to do online transfers to the agents bank instead of withdrawing cash and then physically putting into a machine again to the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I work for an estate agent.

If they’re managing the property there’s no problem providing you with a statement of rents paid balance owing from their system. This is a standard request. They won’t bat an eyelash. They don’t care or need to know why.

As for rent increase if they are a proper agent they will know your lease start date and when they can review it. If your in an rpz the increase will limited to 4% pa. Anyway a request from you will not spark a rent increase.

Rent books aren’t a necessity where there’s a written lease in place which clearly states the rent. Rent book isn’t the question here anyway.

For your own sake I wouldn’t be paying anyone in cash going for a mortgage. Much easier for the mortgage provider to see clearly your outgoing son your bank statement. I’m sure much easier for you too to do online transfers to the agents bank instead of withdrawing cash and then physically putting into a machine again to the agent.

Thank you very much for this, and to all contributors. And yes, lesson learned, I'm looking into an alternative payment route now.

Cheers folks.

Advertisement