Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic tiger silliness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

some size garden and extension as per Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    some size garden and extension as per Google maps.

True but takeing in to account the cost of the extension, the whole house possible cost near a million would they ever make that back.

We here a lot about the massive Celtic tiger prices on large projects but very little on small Celtic tiger properties that comanded massive prices and seem silly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mariaalice wrote: »
    Came across this when looking up something about Dalkey

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/dalkey-ex-council-home-sells-for-record-price-1.481661

800k for an old council house in Dalkey in 2005 I wonder will they every make their money back.

Anyone else got any other examples of celtic tiger madness that seems bizarre now.

they now live in Dalkey and have probably built a nice home... where would 'making their money back' come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

True but takeing in to account the cost of the extension, the whole house possible cost near a million would they ever make that back.

We here a lot about the massive Celtic tiger prices on large projects but very little on small Celtic tiger properties that comanded massive prices and seem silly now.

:confused:

there are few nicer places to live in Ireland. I don't get this weird obsession/concern you have with 'making their money back'

if anything - that attitude in itself is 'Celtic Tiger silliness'

lawred2 wrote: »
    :confused:

there are few nicer places to live in Ireland. I don't get this weird obsession/concern you have with 'making their money back'

if anything - that attitude in itself is 'Celtic Tiger silliness'

I didnt say make a profit but surley most people would like to at least end up even after buying a property, now if it hasn't been sold they have lived in it for 14 year and have had a home for 14 years which is a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Looking at the house now, a 5 bed house(?) with a stupid large garden in one of the top locations in the country, yeah they probably would get the money back now.

Looking at the house now, a 5 bed house(?) with a stupid large garden in one of the top locations in the country, yeah they probably would get the money back now.

I dont know, if you had a million pound in Dalkey what could you buy. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-saval-park-road-dalkey-co-dublin/4339952

I like the garden in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I dont know, if you had a million pound in Dalkey what could you buy. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-saval-park-road-dalkey-co-dublin/4339952

Definitely a nicer looking street alright but you're going to need a bit more funds to rip out some of the dated decor - kitchen and bathrooms too. I suppose if you're in that end of the market you should be able to afford these things.

I would think in the current market, that first house would probably make a profit. Its a fine lump of a house. End of terrace with a massive back garden. Looking at street view, I actually like the angled front entrance, gives it a very private/secluded feel. Also, I know it may be ex-council but some of those houses original footprint is bigger than what people are paying 300-400k for in not great areas halfway out towards Naas (just as a random example). It's walking distance from a sea swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And if I had a million I would also consider that house.

If I had a house that was a 5 minute walk out of Dalkey Village, I don't think I would have got a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Also probably bought with a tracker, so they could be paying f'all interest and be living in a 5-bed in Dalkey (and be 13 years into their mortgage term).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I didnt say make a profit but surley most people would like to at least end up even after buying a property, now if it hasn't been sold they have lived in it for 14 year and have had a home for 14 years which is a point.

"End up even" with who or what? The very syntax of your sentiment presupposes viewing property as a temporary investment rather than a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's a corner house that looks pretty big with a large garden.

Neighbours 2 doors down in a mid terrace that looks not as big with a small garden got 645k last year:
    https://propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-829436FC5CD470238025832900478460?OpenDocument

18.75% higher price for the bigger garden...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Slydice wrote: »
    It's a corner house that looks pretty big with a large garden.

Neighbours 2 doors down in a mid terrace that looks not as big with a small garden got 645k last year:
    https://propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-829436FC5CD470238025832900478460?OpenDocument

18.75% higher price for the bigger garden...?

The house is extended on two sides and still enough space for an astro pitch. It's also a semi Vs a terrace. If 2 doors down is worth €645, the one we're looking at could easily be worth €800 imo (provided condition is decent but I'd guess it is)

Advertisement