Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French Foreign Legion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Bear Grylls did a four part tv show called "Escape to the Legion". It's on youtube if any of you want to check it out. He joins the FFL with a bunch of layabouts lol. It looked horrible. They played Nazi style WW2 songs when the lights went out for bed.

Don't go for it unless you're mentally strong!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Jorah wrote: »
    Bear Grylls did a four part tv show called "Escape to the Legion". It's on youtube if any of you want to check it out. He joins the FFL with a bunch of layabouts lol. It looked horrible. They played Nazi style WW2 songs when the lights went out for bed.

Don't go for it unless you're mentally strong!

He did not join the Legion,he got ex instructor's to make a TV show.Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

I have watched a few of Bear Grylls programmes over the years and to be quiet frank I think Coranation Street more entertaining.
    The Ultimate Force series starring Ross Kemp would give a teeny weeny idea of special forces work to those with no prior knowledge IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kinza

Might be of interest aswell to a few of you, it's a blog from an Irish Legionnaire still in the Legion:

http://bankstobattlefields.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kingoftheshams

Well Alex.

After how many months service can a Legionnaire take leave back in his home country? And for how long? Smiley face.

DJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

Not sure, but think i can recall reading that after your first year ya can head home on leave. Think it requires ya applying to get your passport back off the legion first though. I am open to correction on that though

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

If you ever get the chance to chat to someone who was/is in the legion you should ask as many questions as you can. Leave, especially for a European, is not a huge issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Too anyone discussing BG i suggest u watch one of the other documentaries.Im 17 extremely intrested in ffl but am short sighted dont wear glasses tho but the thing is my cousins friend got in extremely muscley fella who trained hard for 2 years and didnt get into the irish army so went to france and got in there.Know this fella used do 15km a day jogs with two construction cones!
    know my question is what training should i do to make myself conservatively ready for the ffl within 2 years?

And how many guys actually S***themselves on 1st contact ? because i say that gets the heart racing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Know this fella used do 15km a day jogs with two construction cones!

I know of a county council looking to have a word with him!:D
    And how many guys actually S***themselves on 1st contact ? because i say that gets the heart racing!

Only thing that makes you sh*t yourself is the size 10 boot you get up the ar$e from your corporal if you dont do what you're supposed to. The training you undergo largely prepares you for contacts, you dont go - "holy sh*t what was that" rather you return fire and immediately go into your contact drills almost without thinking. It becomes instinctual.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Morphéus wrote: »
    I know of a county council looking to have a word with him!:D

Hahah thats brilliant^^ :P.You know what i meant.:D

[QUOTE=Only thing that makes you sh*t yourself is the size 10 boot you get up the ar$e from your corporal if you dont do what you're supposed to. The training you undergo largely prepares you for contacts, you dont go - "holy sh*t what was that" rather you return fire and immediately go into your contact drills almost without thinking. It becomes instinctual.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah i shouldve partly guessed that they really do trashed them things into your head im guessing you done a stint there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

.Know this fella used do 15km a day jogs with two construction cones!

Eh, he did what?

Advertisement