Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO or cable broadband

Options
  • 22-04-2020 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I'm moving into Castlebar town and am trying to decide on a broadband package? Has anyone any insight into the SIRO offerings (Digiweb, westnet) vs. Virgin Media or vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would take SIRO first above all, then UPC\Virgin then E-Fibre from Eir/VF

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peter4918

Have a look at Westnet. They offer 3 fibre packages, with them for awhile and it’s a great service that never goes down.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

We're working on some pricing revisions at the moment, so hopefully we'll have some good news shortly for new and existing FTTH customers, whether they're on SIRO or open eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Any notion of when Paul? I'd hate to be a month into a contract with someone else and the local company starts going toe to toe with them on price. If you can't say no problem

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Lukekul wrote: »
    Any notion of when Paul? I'd hate to be a month into a contract with someone else and the local company starts going toe to toe with them on price. If you can't say no problem

You've probably seen talk in the press about open eir dropping their wholesale prices. Assuming that price drop goes ahead (I think it's subject to regulatory approval) it will take effect from July 1, so we're aiming to get our open eir FTTH price changes in place for then.

I'll look at getting the SIRO pricing in place sooner. As it stands, we're offering new SIRO customers a gigabit service for the first year for the price of a 150Mb/s service.

I'd like to avoid a situation where I charge different customers different amounts for basically the same service, because that's hard for my people to explain to customers and confusing when we're trying to market our products. I may not have a choice, though.

It might make sense for you to go with another provider who offers cut-throat pricing for the first year then hikes the prices after that, and switch to us when the year is up. It's a game I really don't want to get into - I'd rather just charge a fair price to new and existing customers so they don't have to worry about being caught by price hikes if they're not paying attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Fair play, thanks for the thorough explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The most annoying thing for me is id loved to switch to SIRO but they only wired up half the estate. :(

Advertisement