Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Empress Tree (Paulownia tomentosa )

• 17-07-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭staples7

Anyone have one of these lads? Bought one last year but I think it needs to be in a more sheltered spot than I have. Is apparently the fastest growing Tree in the world & the leaves are magnificent. It hasn't gained any height since I bought it but leave seem to be sprouting well.

485510.JPG

485509.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a few in 15 years.

They are the fastest growing of you plant them in warm tropical Asia.

They are stunted here with cold weather.

The leaves are indeed magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

That's the spit of mine that I planted early this year. Well sheltered, not staked. It'll be grand I hope after a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Madalynn Fast Wildebeest

Also called Foxglove tree and Princess tree. Ideally they need a sheltered location and even protection from hard frosts when young.
    Here try can take anything from 20 to 50 years to reach 12metres. Not exactly the fastest growing tree for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭staples7

I removed the stake in last few weeks as it was damaging new branches. Will be interesting to see how it does. I pruned the very tip of the tree to see if it would promote any growth. Also keeping it well watered and fed.

I might pick up one or two more as their not expensive and place around the site. If you prune hard every year they can be just kept as large leaf bush so to speak.

Advertisement