Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Garden fence with vertical planks - is a gap necessary?

• 15-07-2019 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭

Might be a stupid question, but I have often seen garden fence that have wooden planks positioned vertically, like this photo
    https://stock.adobe.com/sk/images/background-texture-of-old-wood-fence-raw-wood-fence-vertical-planks/239107973

I was wondering if the gap is needed, perhaps for the wood expanding?

I would like to do something similar at the bottom on my garden, but there is a wild field behind and any gaps would be soon filled with overgrowth. I'd like to push the planks together to make the fence solid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

You can get solid fencing alright. Not sure is the stuff you linked to going to react badly to being pushed together versus something that was built solid from the off.
    You could do hit and miss fencing, but you'd have the issue with stuff finding its way through eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,999 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That shadow gap is mostly for aesthetics, an expansion gap for narrow boards only needs to be a couple of mm.

You could do board and batten style but it's a lot of hassle to avoid a tiny gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

The gap also allows the wind to pass through and so put less pressure on the fence posts.

No reason you can't beef up the fence and not use gaps though.

Is where you are placing the fence sheltered from wind?

Gaps allow the fence deal with wind better, at least in my opinion/experience. I have seen solid fence panels blown some distance and cause damage by even a heavy gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I have a very windy site. The normal panels were non stop maintenance and not lasting. Replaced with decking boards stacked horizontaly within the existing h posts and a small strip of wind on each side to stop rattling. So far so good and font miss the noise from the old one in any bit of wind.

• Advertisement

How about stapling windbreak netting to the back of the fence to inhibit growth through the gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've two solid panels beside 10 with gaps.
    I put them in to give some privacy as gaps aligned perfectly so people sitting on my deck were looking in to my neighbors kitchen.

Have replaced solid panels several times over years due to wind bending, breaking and removing them. My site is windy at times but not particularly so.

If you put solid everywhere, the poles supporting them will take the pressure if it is not released so they'd want to have been put down correctly or they'll be forced out of alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Another issue with a solid fence is the same as a wall - wind will go up one side and down the other creating turbulence, whereas a fence with gaps allows more controlled wind through.

Diagram here - https://www.weathersolve.com/how-windbreaks-work/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The gaps are also a means of economising on material, the wider the gap the less timber is used.
    No, I'm from neither Cavan nor Scotland:)

TBH if there's going to be stuff growing against the fence on the other side, its service life is going to be shortened anyway, and you're better off putting up something good enough for 10-15 years and planting a hedge so that you won't need to replace the fence when it eventually falls over.

If you need an animal barrier then PVC coated weldmesh on clipex would do a better job than a wooden fence at lower cost and greater service life. That with a hedge in front solves all problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Fred Bassett

Having a space between them would make painting the boards easier. If you wish to paint them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Advertisement