Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roma V Liverpool (2nd Leg) READ MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

DbX6Kh3VQAEsUFi.jpg

On paper, a lot are expecting Liverpool to easily beat Roma but it will not be that easy. They are in the CL semi-finals on merit so they must have something about them.

Roma will certainly not be gung-ho in this game, and will not be as open as City were, allowing Liverpool to attack and drive into space. Roma will be set up well defensively and whether they start a back 4 or back 5 (they regularly switch between the two remains to be seen). They have a very highly rated keeper in Alisson and CB in Manolas. They have a strong midfield and Dzeko is no reject. Has scored 60 goals in the last 2 seasons so is certainly a threat, as is Under.

Liverpool will probably play the English trio in midfield and the rest of the team picks itself. If Roma do defend deep, then this trio will be tasked with creating and breaking down a resolute defence - something which has been said is a problem for this current Liverpool team. I think the Anfield crowd will have a big influence on the pitch and hopefully will be the cause of an extra goal for the home side ;)

Liverpool have some good history against Roma in Europe and the most recent meeting at Anfield is actually one of the more famous Anfield European nights, although it is never really talked about - the return of Gerard Houllier.

Come on you redmen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Think we’ll win and hopefully keep them from scoring. 2-0 to Liverpool !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I'm not buying into the hype around this Roma team and their exploits in the last round against Barca,impressive as it were,it was more down to Barca's own failings.

3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Liverpool win to nil tonight, I'd expect them to have one foot in the final.

If they go to Italy with a 2 or 3 goal lead it will all but confirm that.

Liverpool to go all out and try and kill it tonight before a potentially tricky tie in Italy is what I'd guess.

Pool 3 - 0 Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Allison could be hard to get past tonight. One of the very best in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Roma will have to keep it tight for a long time. Liverpool could destroy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don’t think Roma will keep it tight. I reckon we’ll see them come out and have a go for the first 20mins, essentially gamble on not conceding from a counter attack and try to get an early get an early goal and unsettle us.

So I think you might actually see Liverpool keep it tight early on and I’d be worried about conceding.

We should have enough on the night to score so I’ll go 1-1 after Roma leading at halftime.

Looking forward to the coach meet and then everyone being pumped up at kick off, albeit in the rain. Allez Allez Allez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,553 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The difference is that Roma won’t play a high line and allow the space in behind. Pool will need to get a foothold on the midfield battle if they are to win this one I reckon. An early goal will be key to pool but even then I think Roma have the belief that they can beat anyone at home so might try even ride that out and not push on.

They are good at set pieces so Liverpool will be hoping that their defence and particularly Karius, don’t pick up where the makeshift one left off the weekend. They will also need to be wary of the counter here as they tend to play a very high line at times and could be another of their own undoing especially at this stage of the competition

Can see a close tie with maybe a goal for both, would go with 2-1. Can’t see past a pool win atm but do believe Roma will get an away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Roma will play a 5-5 or 5-4-1, giving Liverpool no space. We've been frustrated by tactics like that earlier on this season.

I reckon they'll go all out for a draw with the aim of winning in Rome.

We need to attack them hard in the opening few minutes. Something that we can excel at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Roma have a pretty piss poor record away in the Champions League, can see Liverpool winning by at least 3 goals, prob more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A two goal margin of whatever type will do as I certainly think Liverpool can score an away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Greybottle wrote: »
    Roma will play a 5-5 or 5-4-1, giving Liverpool no space. We've been frustrated by tactics like that earlier on this season.

I reckon they'll go all out for a draw with the aim of winning in Rome.

We need to attack them hard in the opening few minutes. Something that we can excel at.

Agree 100%

Roma won't be looking to get exposed like City did. They will be looking to keep it tight with 5-4-1 or 5-5 as you mentioned for the first 30 mins & get the Liverpool crowd on edge.

I know city's midfield on paper were better than Liverpool and we bettered them, I don't think this will be the same with Roma's. They have plenty of guile and tenacious spirit in De Rossi, Strootman & Nainggolan.

They will be looking to press and with Dzeko as an outlet up front VVD et al will need to be on their toes.

Just give away nothing sloppy and stupid and keep a clean sheet and I'll be happy.

1-0 or even 0-0 would do me tbh, now having said that Liverpool will probably come out and blow them away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Another 7-0 win tonight for the redmen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool have scored 5 past every team they have faced in the CL this season.

Probably won't get it this tie, but something close to it and we're in the final.

Roma will go long and vertical looking to split the centre backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Roma are piss poor.

That said, they'll keep it very tight and i'll be happy if we only get one goal and keep them scoreless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's probably the worst quality CL semi in some time, but still plenty of romance there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's probably the worst quality CL semi in some time, but still plenty of romance there.

How does anyone know the quality of a game before it's even played?

Real Madrid played PSG in the round of 16 with some of the most expensive footballers on earth on the field and the quality of the games was mostly pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Bret Hart wrote: »
    I'm not buying into the hype around this Roma team and their exploits in the last round against Barca,impressive as it were,it was more down to Barca's own failings.

3-0.

Eh, Liverpool are just as much a hype team considering they've won the square root of nothing themselves. Foolish to them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Slattsy wrote: »
    Roma are piss poor.

That said, they'll keep it very tight and i'll be happy if we only get one goal and keep them scoreless.

I fear they may come and park the bus a la United. Dunno if they are as good at it as United were though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Really?

Sure Liverpool have been looking amazing and banging the goals in.

Beaten the Premier League champs three times in one season.

Weird comment unless it's intended for a different purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Toobz wrote: »
    Eh, Liverpool are just as much a hype team considering they've won the square root of nothing themselves. Foolish to them out.

What are all the bitter posters going to trot out in future posts if Klopp's Liverpool ever win anything?

There's no hype about Liverpool just analysis based on results and form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I guess Liverpool and Roma should've let City and Barcelona win so the better teams would be in the semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

noodler wrote: »

Of course it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Tonight:

Liverpool 3 Roma 1

Next week:

Despite a siege from Roma, Liverpool to lose only 2-1

Overall aggregate: Liverpool 4 Roma 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Roma played a very high line against Barca. Similar for periods against Chelsea and similar for many games in the Serie A they're a very tactically flexible side.

Liverpool by and large have been very reactive in the UCl. Sitting deeper and picking off teams with a counter attack and a more defence orientated counter press.

Liverpool are the only unbeaten team in the Champions League so far this season this along with being the top scorers going against Roma who topped their group with Chelsea and Atletico Madrid and knocked out Barcelona.

Both very entertaining and justifiable semi finalists I would think myself.

noodler wrote: »
    Really?

Sure Liverpool have been looking amazing and banging the goals in.

Beaten the Premier League champs three times in one season.

Nothing weird about it. Neither even flirted with a title challenge domestically. One is 19 points behind their league leaders the other 18. That's a massive gap in quality in a competition that actually has a sufficient sample size to find the best side. Cl is great but its a crapshoot at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I guess Liverpool and Roma should've let City and Barcelona win so the better teams would be in the semi-final.

Thankfully Liverpool were fortunate to win the tie 5-1 against City and Roma are the only team to beat Barca outside of Espanyol this season.
    Truth is a lot of teams have flattered to deceive domestically and fell over at the first bit of pressure in the CL this season. Both these sides have had harder routes here than Bayern have but I'm sure people may not mention that until 7 days time once we see what Munich are actually made of outside of the Bundesliga or favourable draws.

• Advertisement

Nothing weird about it. Neither even flirted with a title challenge domestically. One is 19 points behind their league leaders the other 18. That's a massive gap in quality in a competition that actually has a sufficient sample size to find the best side. Cl is great but its a crapshoot at times.

Crap at shooting tends to get you knocked out - ask City and Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    Thankfully Liverpool were fortunate to win the tie 5-1 against City and Roma are the only team to beat Barca outside of Espanyol this season.
    Truth is a lot of teams have flattered to deceive domestically and fell over at the first bit of pressure in the CL this season. Both these sides have had harder routes here than Bayern have but I'm sure people may not mention that until 7 days time once we see what Munich are actually made of outside of the Bundesliga or favourable draws.

Exactly... think Madrid are going to ease past Bayern fairly easily. Just think the vast jump up in quality from what Bayern have faced all season will be telling.

Crap at shooting tends to get you knocked out - ask City and Utd

Yeah very good. Nothing hateful here but it's objectively the lowest quality semi this decade. I'm still very much looking forward to it as there's a lot of other appeal to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah very good. Nothing hateful here but it's objectively the lowest quality semi this decade. I'm still very much looking forward to it as there's a lot of other appeal to the game.

Nothing low qulaity about it. Ask City or Barca about how they got on against these 2 low quality sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Stop feeding him

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Exactly... think Madrid are going to ease past Bayern fairly easily. Just think the vast jump up in quality from what Bayern have faced all season will be telling.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd rather play them than Madrid tbh.
    I think Bayern have a few players who just aren't what they were. Robben and Ribery are mid 30's whereas last time under Heynckes they were in their peak. Look very slow in the last 8 vs Sevilla; Hummels, Martinez and Boateng in particular. Lot of reliance on Lewandowski for the goals when it matters.
    If Ronaldo were to get injured like Messi the balance would swing right back to the opposition.

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    Nothing low qulaity about it. Ask City or Barca about how they got on against these 2 low quality sides.

I mean ask Liverpool or United how they got on against West Brom, we could play that sort of game all day long. Anything can happen over a game or two but cream will usually come to the top in league format

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Salah vs Kolarov is the key match-up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

A lot of people lined up for egg on their face after this, shur of course the great Liverpool are going to steamroll littlr seria A"s Roma.

They have only gotten the better of Chelsea, atletico and barca this season, they are obviously a clueless bunch of journeymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

sabat wrote: »
    Salah vs Kolarov is the key match-up tonight.

VVD v Dzeko

Keep him quiet we'll be grand.

With that then Munich must be handsdown clear favourites as the only team winning their league and the other three miles behind in their domestic leagues.

Madrid 15 points behind Barca.

Roma 18 points behind Juve.

Liverpool 19 points behind City.

But that's not how football works.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    I hope I'm wrong as I'd rather play them than Madrid tbh.
    I think Bayern have a few players who just aren't what they were. Robben and Ribery are mid 30's whereas last time under Heynckes they were in their peak. Look very slow in the last 8 vs Sevilla; Hummels, Martinez and Boateng in particular. Lot of reliance on Lewandowski for the goals when it matters.
    If Ronaldo were to get injured like Messi the balance would swing right back to the opposition.

Yup, I think as soon as they get hit by a team going at them with quality and pace, they won't know what hit them. Could see them crumble and concede a few to Real in short order.

PSG are the only decent team they've faced all year, and over the two fixtures in the group stage they lost 4-3. (won 3-1 at home, lost 3-0 away).
    Genuinely think they're the worst of the 4 remaining teams.

tastyt wrote: »
    A lot of people lined up for egg on their face after this, shur of course the great Liverpool are going to steamroll littlr seria A"s Roma.

They have only gotten the better of Chelsea, atletico and barca this season, they are obviously a clueless bunch of journeymen.

I realllly don't think anyone thinks that.

Slattsy wrote: »
    VVD v Dzeko

Keep him quiet we'll be grand.

Its keeping him away from Lovren so its sorta VVD vs Lovren in a way :pac:

And trying to stop him from doing this again, woof

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I guess Real Madrid shouldn't be here either so.

Screen_Shot_2018-04-24_at_18.22.47.png

Don't worry if Liverpool get knocked out it'll be because they were rubbish against a 4th placed Serie A side (LOL!), if they reach the final it'll be only because they were drawn against a 4th placed Serie A side (secret fume).

It's the starting 11 you'd expect

DbkI4cDW4AAfNlf.jpg

Roma

DbkJfLdWAAEW0Ag.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Roma going with the same formation that they played against Barca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Gettin' close - more nervous now than Moreno's dog, wondering if his master is going to look like a complete tw@t again when its time for walkies....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-alberto-moreno-walks-dog-6539835

Suspicious package - police on the scene inside Anfields main stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Suspicious package - police on the scene inside Anfields main stand

What!!! Hope it's another case of the security team messing up and leaving a training decoy behind - but didn't that match get cancelled?

• Advertisement
Advertisement