Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Seed and plant swap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

This is the first time I have ever got an artichoke to is second year but I have always got artichokes from them in the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

I think artichokes are like asparagus in the sense that in the first year you are meant to prioritise root development and only harvest actual artichokes in the second year. Very frustrating when, like me, you can't get them to survive a winter. I think I did my best. Last autumn/winter I cut them down to a few inches, I covered the remaining plant in straw and a pot. This spring instead of the long awaited 2nd year artichoke - all I was left with was a (mocking) hole in the ground. Ah well, gardening is not for those who can only cope with instant gratification. G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Only ever managed the ornamental artichokes here. I found the edible varieties a bit frost tender too.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Thanks, I didn't know that about artichokes (I did with asparagus and have been nurturing ours for four years now). That explains why I have artichokes this year though as we didn't get to harvest them all last year and left them on the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-25th-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/ropes-and-twine/

Especially the blue and green in the picture for around the garden. Nice soft but super strong synthetic cord that won't rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have a tonne of paving sand there for someone to take away. It's bagged in one of those open skip-like bags.

Would like to swap for plants/seeds suitable for medium sized back garden.

Or some sort of garden decorative feature, furniture. Etc

I'd could do with some sand. Are you in Cork? I've got some big rocks and lupins I could swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No I'm in Kildare. It would probably cost a fortune to transport it.

Anybody want some corkscrew willow? I've been reading up on it and apparently it's hardy enough to cut back at any time of the year so I might trim my one down. According to everything I read the cuttings root very easily so will be there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Looking to get some cuttings from a Photinia "Red Robin" hedge if anyone is planning on cutting theirs back in the next few months. I have some tomato plants which I could swap and a couple of melon plants which I could swap if anyone was interested. Preferably Leinster area. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Bobby

I don't have Red Robin but would you like to swap some courgette plants for tomato plants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Hi Ellejay,

Have you any other plants that you would like to swap. I'm not a big fan of courgettes!

sorry bobby, that's all i have in vegetable's
    i have some lupin's, tom thumb, and another flower plant that unfortunately i lost the markings for.

if anyone else would like some courgette's please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

I have lots of feverfew plants and can post seeds if anyone wants any.. Im in the kildare area http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanacetum_parthenium

have some pink poppie seeds, if anyone would like some. Pick up only tho, too akward for me to get to post office :)

D15 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Hi all,

What about setting up an Open pollinated seed circle.
    I would have a few things around such as Bell Peppers chilli, Bush tomatoes, wheat, linseed(Flax), corn. Peas and a few lettuce types all open pollinated or heirloom Would love to swap with others . with different veg.

I am in Dublin but could share post outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Just post here. Generally there is little interest so there's no point setting up a new thread for open pollinated specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

I grow house plants and often have cuttings to trade, e.g. Hoya bella, Ludisia discolor,Ceropegia woodii. Echeveria.

Hi virino

Where are in the country are you

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Hi ellejay, I'm in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pollyhaven

I have loads of beetroot seeds if anyone wants them .

• Advertisement

Hi polly are thw open pollinated seeds?

I have just harvested these seeds if anyone wants to swap anything cottagey...

Lupins - i have yellow, pink and a purple with red bits.
    Cornflower - dark purple
    Aquilegia (grannys's bonnet, columbine) - tall, blue.
    Will have a tall white verbascum in a month or so.
    Mixed pink and white cosmos.
    Mixed stock.
    Poppy - dark pink double - tall
    Poppy - icelandic, single, short, red

Anything at all in the line of cottagey flower seeds would be awesome, or divisions if people are in cork. Looking for any echinacea (coneflower), alchemilla mollis, rudbekia, stipa grasses divisions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

hi just divided purple bearded iris
    have about 40 rhizomes
    in dublin 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭miss choc

I have some lupin/snapdragon seeds and shrub cuttings if you want swap I am in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emo72

anyone got any sedum spectabile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭miss choc

I think I have that pink flower with fleshy succulent leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭emo72

miss choc wrote: »
    I think I have that pink flower with fleshy succulent leaves

Yes that's it. I have some tall bamboo of its any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

I've just taken more box cuttings, should be rooted in a few months. If anyone is interested I can simply make more. Also have strawberries that I'll need to divide. Am in D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 self3137

I have a number of Eucalyptus Nitens for swop if anyone is interested, have been outdoors since beginning of august.

• Advertisement

I have some extra OP Winter Wheat if anyone is interested in trying it now just planted this week, will be interested to swap with any OP Veg.

Advertisement