Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda are nowhere to be seen while city center is overrun by crime and drugs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Ballso wrote: »
    Decided that tourists and immigrants have nothing to worry about after all did you? Nice edit.

Anyway lads I went to Camden St for lunch and had a nice chicken burger. A mean boy looked at me. At least I think he was mean, he looked a bit poor. It was very frightening.
    Ing is.

Why so defensive. How many other European cities have out and out gougers roaming the streets up to no good with over a 100 plus previous convictions.

Try walking around this city as I do as a bi-racial person and listen and face the menace I have SEVERAL times.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Decided that tourists and immigrants have nothing to worry about after all did you? Nice edit.

Anyway lads I went to Camden St for lunch and had a nice chicken burger. A mean boy looked at me. At least I think he was mean, he looked a bit poor. It was very frightening.

Am I doing it right?

I'll hand it back to the boards.ie weeny neckbeard pissypants internet society for further comment on how terrifying everything is.

In fairness mate, Camden street isn't exactly known as a crime hotspot, far from it. Bad example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yep, there is zero presence in the city centre.

An overweight copper eating his single of chips outside the GPO doesn't count.

They should have minimum 4 cops patrolling each side of O'Connell St, 2 up 2 down day in day out.
    And more on the side streets.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Yep, there is zero presence in the city centre.

An overweight copper eating his single of chips outside the GPO doesn't count.

They should have minimum 4 cops patrolling each side of O'Connell St, 2 up 2 down day in day out.
    And more on the side streets.

And the cop at the GPO isn't allowed move from the GPO. I've been told that on a couple of occasions by different Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We definitely need more Guards walking the City Centre. And actually stopping and arresting people. Someone mentioned it above but at the Civic Offices there are people openly dealing every morning.

Don't see the Guards on bicycles anymore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    And the cop at the GPO isn't allowed move from the GPO. I've been told that on a couple of occasions by different Gardai.

Why is that does anybody know? I know it's only usually one Garda that stands there like a statue or looking at their phone but it seems like a bit of a waste of a wage bill to have them there 24/7 when it could be used clean up the streets in the inner city

Why is that does anybody know? I know it's only usually one Garda that stands there like a statue or looking at their phone but it seems like a bit of a waste of a wage bill to have them there 24/7 when it could be used clean up the streets in the inner city

I've no idea. The defence forces should be put to use here in Ireland like on the continent. The likes of Rome, Berlin and Amsterdam have soldiers at all their landmarks and train stations. It wouldn't do any harm to have it here, the defence forces arent doing much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I've no idea. The defence forces should be put to use here in Ireland like on the continent. The likes of Rome, Berlin and Amsterdam have soldiers at all their landmarks and train stations. It wouldn't do any harm to have it here, the defence forces arent doing much else.

they are busy playing sports!
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/life-in-the-army-was-absolute-boredom-says-kilkenny-hurler-colin-fennelly-37771668.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There is now broad acceptance...

Where, the Rural Back In My Day forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's well known many Gardai run businesses etc so don't bother seeing much unless they're told to honour and get certain things such as fines etc....

Only have to look at those in cars texting, looking up stuff and on phone calls ... Best for this are armed units as they see nothing.

Am I doing it right?

I'll hand it back to the boards.ie weeny neckbeard pissypants internet society for further comment on how terrifying everything is.

Funnily enough me too. I got the Luas from Cabra to Dominick, walked over to Pearse St, and did the same in reverse. I somehow managed to avoid being murdered. Some of the posters in this thread appear to be afraid of their own shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I’m living in the north inner city for twenty years and not a sniff of being murdered yet. I’ve also never seen a Garda at the GPO eating a bag of chips - am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Funnily enough me too. I got the Luas from Cabra to Dominick, walked over to Pearse St, and did the same in reverse. I somehow managed to avoid being murdered. Some of the posters in this thread appear to be afraid of their own shadow.

We're laughing but it's actually quite sad. A lot of these lads are ill equipped to deal with living in a city, even one as safe as Dublin.

I saw a thread on reddit recently where one of these delicate little flowers was advising a US visitor to avoid Dublin as it was too dangerous. The chap said he was coming from Detroit. I kid you not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

vriesmays wrote: »
    Including the dopes by the GPO handing out free food to the homeless to shame the Government instead of doing this outside Dáil.

It's not being done to shame Government, it's being done to help the needy, there are more needy near the GPO.

And calling somebody that does this a dope just shows what a complete wankrag you are

• Registered Users Posts: 16 COLONELsANDERS

I was born in Dublin and spent the last 15 years living abroad in a number of cities, including some mentioned in the thread earlier. I returned to Dublin 6 months ago to raise a family.

Wherever inequality exists, social tension and crime will exist. This is particularly acute in cities. All cities have crime. However Dublin has some idiosyncrasies in this regard that I have not experienced elsewhere.

1: Random and senseless acts of aggression and violence.

Unlike crime in the centers of other capital cities( pick-pocketing etc) which quite obviously have benefits to the perpetrator( money), I have witnessed multiple incidents of senseless aggression that would appear to be of no obvious benefit to the perpetrator.
    Leaving the Dart station there was a guy standing in the middle of the road,shouting at the top of his lungs, stopping traffic and challenging passers by to a fight, frightening the hell out of people. A guy on the quays was drinking a bottle of coke and lobbed the half full bottle across the road at a random stranger walking to work. Leaving a playground with my son in the buggy and a guy booted a football at myself and my wife to get a reaction.

None of these incidents are major in isolation but create an uneasy atmosphere that I just haven't experienced in any other city I live in.

2: Junkies.

In the whole time I lived abroad Junkies were not a thing. Here junkies, and the negative issues they bring, are ever present in Dublin city. I asked a city planner friend why the Abbey street area was so run down and he answered matter of factly that they cant gentrify it because there's 'two methadone clinics in the area'. A friend opened a cafe near Dublin city council building but was advised he needn't bother put tables outside because there's a methadone clinic around the corner. In the middle of Dun Laoghaire there's a clinic that apparently is treating people 'from as far away as Wicklow'.
    Whether these issues are blown out of proportion or not is irrelevant. The question is why are they a front and center issue here and not in cities elsewhere?

Either there's a vast vast amount more heroine addicts in Dublin than in all the cities I've lived in( doubtful) , or we treat them differently in Dublin( more likely) i.e by centralizing the methadone distribution. I'd love to understand this issue more.

3: Incessant begging from people who clearly aren't homeless.

Although Dublin clearly has a homelessness problem, there also appears to be a general attitude from people that they can just sit on the ground for a while and collect some cash. I've seen one on an iPhone. Sitting outside a cafe last Sunday for lunch we were approached 5+ times in a 1 hour period by people asking for money.

The random aggression, the junkies, the incessant begging all contribute to create a general run down feeling in the center of the city that, from my experience, appears to be a unique feature of this city center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Yeah, agree with all of the above - lived & worked in NYC for 16 years & was always happy to sit outside a restaurant, something I am very hesitant to do here due to the incessant begging.

Tbh, am embarrassed by some of the behaviour around Dublin city- born, bred & back living in Dublin 8.

There seems to be very little consequences for very poor behaviour by folk who know what they are doing.

Yes to both posts above.
    It's not the threat of murder that pervades the city centre, it's the unhindered micro aggression.

Kill the small stuff, watch and feel how it would change our city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Kill the small stuff, watch and feel how it would change our city.

Big belief in this.
    Similar to the broken windows theory.
    Drove through Ballybough and Sheriff Street this morning.
    Bags of rubbish strewn all over the road. Disgraceful.
    No respect shown for where they live by some people.

dd973 wrote: »
    I often wonder about first time visitors from mainland Europe or further afield, they're sat on their Aer Lingus reading that schmaltzy, glossy magazine with the red haired Caillin hostess on the front (all perfect teeth and cheekbones) wherein everybody is some symmetrically featured member of the beautiful Hiberno-people turning their hand to fashion, design, music, arts and crafts, etc.

Then they get off the Aircoach in O'Connell St and are presented with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jCkJl1PB_M

The glossy mag has two lads from aib corporate banking in it. They are almost as bad looking as the h heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Polar101

I spent the day in town today, nobody mugged me or stabbed me or killed me or looked at me in a mean way or threw anything at me or harrassed me. I didn't notice any junkies or crime or any of the other things the sad sacks here fixate on. Sorry lads.

I haven't been mugged in town, and don't find it dangerous - but I'd argue it would be pretty difficult to not see any junkies around.

• Advertisement

Spent Friday evening and most of Saturday in the city center. Camden St, Wexford St, Georges St, Wicklow St, Exchequer, South Anne, Dawson, Iveagh Gardens, Dame Lane, Dame St areas. Again didn't notice any junkies or encounter any anti social behaviour, just people in good form enjoying the city. Met an American group outside a pub on Dame St, was their fourth time in Dublin, they were raving about the place. Went to a beer festival on the Saturday, everyone was super relaxed and well behaved.

Weird for a city supposedly overrun with drugs and crime.

Here's thesystem adding to the fun.
    No chance the small stuff will be killed off with this sh/te going on.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/serial-thief-handed-one-last-chance-as-she-walks-free-after-648th-conviction-38312544.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Having lived in a couple cities in Europe the 2 main issues I see with Dublin are.

Lack of Police/Garda Presence.

1.) In most European Plazas or main streets there is an almost constant police presence. Be it just a couple of police walking around or standing on the corner of a plaza. This is non existent in Dublin. Temple Bar, Grafton Street, O'Connell street, HaPenny etc should have an almost permanent Garda presence. These are the main tourist paths of Dublin and almost all are riddled with junkies and the problems they bring.

City Centre Drug Services (17 around Dublin City Centre)

2.) Needle Exchange, injection rooms, methadone clinics outside of the city centre. Junkies travel vast distances to be in Dublin city centre early to get to methadone clinics and needle exchanges clinics. They would just as easily go to those places is they were not in the historic city centre. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and blighting the city centre by putting these services in the city centre, attracting junkies from far and wide to come into the city centre and spend the day there. This does not happen in other major European cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Chinasea wrote: »
    Why so defensive. How many other European cities have out and out gougers roaming the streets up to no good with over a 100 plus previous convictions.

Try walking around this city as I do as a bi-racial person and listen and face the menace I have SEVERAL times.

Lots of them in fact - you think this kind of behaviour it limited to or worse in Dublin, then you're delusional.

I was in Paris in May - absolute dump. Filthy, reeks of urine and faeces. Didn't feel safe anywhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I like Dublin but the amount of anti-social behavior and crime is definitely increasing. Just yesterday I seen a guy trying to steal a bike outside the Gate theatre. It was 2.30PM at the time. It just shows how brazen they've gotten when they're willing to do it in broad daylight on a busy street. He was at it for a while as well.

While we do need a better Garda presence on the street, I think the people themselves need to step up a bit here. Do something. If you see someone littering, call them out on it. If you see someone committing a crime, call the Gardai or record it on your phone or draw attention to them or something (obviously your own safety is paramount here). Dozens of people walked by that guy trying to steal that bike yesterday and they just looked the other way. I didn't see one person call the Gardai or anything. That's part of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Spent Friday evening and most of Saturday in the city center. Camden St, Wexford St, Georges St, Wicklow St, Exchequer, South Anne, Dawson, Iveagh Gardens, Dame Lane, Dame St areas. Again didn't notice any junkies or encounter any anti social behaviour, just people in good form enjoying the city. Met an American group outside a pub on Dame St, was their fourth time in Dublin, they were raving about the place. Went to a beer festival on the Saturday, everyone was super relaxed and well behaved.

Weird for a city supposedly overrun with drugs and crime.

Fair play, you must have been the only person ever to stand on dame lane and not have junkies begging from you. I love the place for drinks in the summer, but its about 1 every 5 minutes plaguing you there.

Most of the other places you have mentioned above go into the southside more, the problems in Dublin city are really from dame lane area and north from there.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Fair play, you must have been the only person ever to stand on dame lane and not have junkies begging from you. I love the place for drinks in the summer, but its about 1 every 5 minutes plaguing you there.

Most of the other places you have mentioned above go into the southside more, the problems in Dublin city are really from dame lane area and north from there.

More stupid exaggeration. I spent the Tuesday and Wednesday of Cheltenham this year drinking in and smoking outside the Dame Tavern and had none of these issues.

Every time I mention somewhere I was in the city I get some nerk saying telling me that thats not where the terrifying criminality is...

CucaFace wrote: »

Add Camden Street - junky sitting on pavement every 30 metres.
    Nassau Street between Suffolk Street and Merrion Square - every 30 metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

More stupid exaggeration. I spent the Tuesday and Wednesday of Cheltenham this year drinking in and smoking outside the Dame Tavern and had none of these issues.

Every time I mention somewhere I was in the city I get some nerk saying telling me that thats not where the terrifying criminality is...

Maybe the junkies went to Cheltenham this year for a change of scenery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive seen the same woman begging and crying at the phonebox outside eurogiant on stephens green for about 4 years now. Most of the lads wandering around looking for 'a euro for de bus' have nicer shoes than me.
    Free reign to do what they want

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Ive seen the same woman begging and crying at the phonebox outside eurogiant on stephens green for about 4 years now. Most of the lads wandering around looking for 'a euro for de bus' have nicer shoes than me.

It isn't illegal to cry at a phonebox or ask someone for a euro. What would you like the Gards to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Ok how about you head there these days, instead of making an opinion based on standing outside this bar for 30 secs to have a cig in the cold days of March?

Stand outside the dame tavern for a few hours on a summer evening and come back and tell me how many people come and beg off you every few minutes? Because your opinion of the place is miles off the reality of it.

I was there last week, twice, and every 5 minutes someone came up to beg. Its the same people doing this for years.

Not saying its scary criminality, its just so annoying and it is illegal in reality and to say that the city center isn't overrun with junkies makes me wonder what you see walking through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

retalivity wrote: »

I cannot but feel sorry for her. Put out to beg by her traveller family every day and is clearly not right in the head. She should have been taken into care a long time ago.

I don't feel one bit sorry for her. Make no mistake she is an intimidating passive (?) And very aggressive cheat. I saw some tourists fresh off the plane come out of the Gresham fall hook line and sinker for her pleading and begging and double backed and gave her €50.00.

Aside from the money they gave her, they were clearly distressed as they genuinely believed her 'starving ' tale of woe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

My last trip to dublin(about 6 months ago), involved getting hassle from junkies near trinity, coming out from my hotel to see presumably a junky taking a dump in full public view outside of h pedestrian entrance to the multi story car park to my partner's phone being robbed out of her hand by the Olympia. All in daylight. Not in any rush back to Dublin. For work I travel up and down same day now. Get out as quick as possible.

No idea why people want to live there but whatever spins your yoyo. Not for me though.

Unadulterated kip, and that's not even taking into account the traffic, the cost etc..

tototoe wrote: »
    My last trip to dublin(about 6 months ago), involved getting hassle from junkies near trinity, coming out from my hotel to see presumably a junky taking a dump in full public view outside of h pedestrian entrance to the multi story car park to my partner's phone being robbed out of her hand by the Olympia. All in daylight. Not in any rush back to Dublin. For work I travel up and down same day now. Get out as quick as possible.

No idea why people want to live there but whatever spins your yoyo. Not for me though.

Unadulterated kip, and that's not even taking into account the traffic, the cost etc..

Where do you live now? I never get the unadulterated hatred for Dublin from the rest of the country. It has its problems, but some parts of it are gorgeous and it's one of the more lively cities in Europe if you ask me.

I don't believe all this happened to you in one condensed period of time. These threads are always full of exaggerations and lies, this post stinks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

There's a foreign woman with no nose kneeling and begging in O'Connell St every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Oddly I've never had any of this stuff happen to me, despite living and working in the city for the better part of the last 15 years.

I've had potatoes thrown at me though and a kid hit me on the head with a chip last week (and then called me a paedo/****). It was harrowing stuff altogether.

ah you've a chip on your shoulder.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

I don't believe all this happened to you in one condensed period of time. These threads are always full of exaggerations and lies, this post stinks of it.

Ya I definitely made it up.definitely

Ya I definitely made it up.definitely

Must have overactive imagination myself too I’m just a failed Steven Spielberg maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In fairness, they are just 3 incidences that are fairly daily occurrences in many parts of the city.
    I had a bad experience in Paris first time I went (similar to above) and now I'd never want to go back and think in my mind it's a kip. Incidences like this impact people's thoughts of a city.
    I hope to go back someday as I know I was probably just unlucky.

Add Camden Street - junky sitting on pavement every 30 metres.
    Nassau Street between Suffolk Street and Merrion Square - every 30 metres.

**** sake, earlier in the thread when I said I went to Camden St I was told it was too far Southside for junkies, now there's dozens of junkies there.

Bunch of ****ing liars and fantastists.

Before the internet we'd never heard from these idiots, now they are on every forum for every city braying and crying about how terrifying the modern world is like ****ing children. Its beyond pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

The other day I saw a family of tourists taking seats plonked on the footpath outside some cafe on Bachelor's Walk and thought christ, they're in for an interesting time. And god help you if you're a smoker sitting streetside.

I won't exaggerate, it's not nearly as bad/dangerous as some people would have you believe. On the other hand, can you really blame people for being edgy around junkies? I think a bit of edginess is prudent. Some of these people are predatory and will rob you if they think they'll get away with it. Doesn't exactly make for a pleasant experience in town.

I do think though that just saying we should move them out somewhere away from the city centre is not very realistic and strikes me as kind of NIMBY-ish. A bit of compassion wouldn't go amiss. At the end of the day these are human beings in a very bad place in their lives, not simply inconvenient obstacles to be pushed out of sight for convenience's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There's another one on r/Dublin of a guy getting his head kicked in on the Luas after he tried to stab someone. It's pretty fúcked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

vriesmays wrote: »
    There's a foreign woman with no nose kneeling and begging in O'Connell St every day.

I saw a guy in Athens with half a head. Seriously, no fooling.

There's another one on r/Dublin of a guy getting his head kicked in on the Luas after he tried to stab someone. It's pretty fúcked up.

Had the misfortune of seeing that too. We are a rough old bunch the Irish.

Before the internet we'd never heard from these idiots, now they are on every forum for every city braying and crying about how terrifying the modern world is like ****ing children. Its beyond pathetic

Actually before the Internet a lot of this stuff was hidden and not reported.

Finally we have a platform. Not an ideal one, but at least a platform. Our judicial system is an absolute farce. This week we read of a woman out on bail again with OVER 600 convictions. A total menace.

We know for fact the criminal stats are well massaged.

Count yourself lucky if you have not been a victim of crime.

I have and was / am very shaken. Your senseless misguided and misinformed defence stance is downright irresponsible.

Standman wrote: »
    At the end of the day these are human beings in a very bad place in their lives, not simply inconvenient obstacles to be pushed out of sight for convenience's sake.

theyre both!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement