Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Are these legal?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It is illegal to burn household or garden waste at home or in your garden.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/burning_household_waste.html

so i guess legal to sell, illegal to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Braylon Scrawny Apple

Xcellor wrote: »
    https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Galvanised-Garden-Incinerator/9017283?gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocanb3-Oq3hEEcIUoPeCOkGFrYUWoEaHnpmKpEbHo90Uv7MiuiWsUPxoCOWgQAvD_BwE

I've garden debris/wood and based on what I am reading any burning in garden is illegal but then i see these for sale and farmers do it at various times during the year?

Farmers do it under licences that stipulate the dates they my do so - supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Backyard burning in these incinerator of garden trimmings & cuttings IS legal, when on small scale. Burning any rubbish like this is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Backyard burning in these incinerator of garden trimmings & cuttings IS legal, when on small scale. Burning any rubbish like this is illegal.

Unfortunately its not. 'Backyard' burning UNLESS its generated by agricultural practices is totally outlawed. Garden waste being burnt is actually prohibited under the Waste Mgt Burning Regs 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think I bought one of those and burned lots of stuff in the back garden. I was amazed at how much I burned and more amazed at the black smoke wafting right around the estate where lived. I was somewhat embarrassed by that. I was unaware that very soon after that a law came in making burning stuff in backyard in urban areas illegal. Don't know what I did with that thing but never used it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Unfortunately its not. 'Backyard' burning UNLESS its generated by agricultural practices is totally outlawed. Garden waste being burnt is actually prohibited under the Waste Mgt Burning Regs 2009.

100% Farmers have a derogation from the ban on burning of waste- and this refers only to the hedgecuttings or other biomass, they aren't allowed use tyres or any other waste. They have to apply by completing a form from their county council and this event has to be sanctioned by the local fire station.

Nobody else is allowed to burn waste of any type- so the garden incinerators are indeed legal to sell, but illegal to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Thud

baaba maal wrote: »
    100% Farmers have a derogation from the ban on burning of waste- and this refers only to the hedgecuttings or other biomass, they aren't allowed use tyres or any other waste. They have to apply by completing a form from their county council and this event has to be sanctioned by the local fire station.

Nobody else is allowed to burn waste of any type- so the garden incinerators are indeed legal to sell, but illegal to use.

It's sanctioned by the council who may send a warden out to check what you are burning prior to approval.
    Fire brigade only need to be informed so they don't mistakenly get called out. You have to call them before you start the fire and then again once it is out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last year i called the fire brigade over someone doing back garden burning in a suburban area - they were ripping out ****ty old chipboard or MDF wardrobe units and burning them; the smoke was genuinely problematic.

best part about that is that they would have been charged the callout fee as the fire was deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Migaloo

I live in a rural area and burn garden waste on my Bar B Que....is that illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Migaloo wrote: »
    I live in a rural area and burn garden waste on my Bar B Que....is that illegal?

Make sure you have a few sausages handy to prove your cooking outdoors and what can anyone do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

baaba maal wrote: »

Thats what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I always call 999 as specified to me by a fire officer years ago, as long as they know you're at it and make a call when you're finished they wont mind, but im out in the country with no one around me so its different from op, plus all i ever burn is bushes and timber thats no good for anything else, if you're in a built up are op it probably won't be worth the hassle of risking someone reporting you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm open to correction... But I think there was some provision for the container being used to be permissible if it had a chimney.

Noting that the product in OPs link has a 3 or 4 inch token gesture of a chimney am guessing this was a cynical way to attempt to flout this regulation?

Clearly the spirit of the law would be that the smoke would be directed high enough that it would disperse without inconveniencing neighbours and so on.

FWIW I have done this.... now regret it..... Am lucky my neighbours still talk to me..... Its horrible and anti-social and it can ruin someones evening in their garden, stink up a fresh load of clothes on a washing line and waft in open windows.

This is true even when you're only burning natural gardening waste, ie cutting etc.

Please do not do it.

the chimney is there to create a draw and contain the heat - the idea being that the fire would burn more effciently and hotter, so create less smoke. and there's merit in that concept, it's why stoves are more efficient than an open fire. but one major issue with burning garden waste is that people rarely think to dry it out first; the water content drags the burn temperature way down so you're back to square 1 with a low temperature, inefficient burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Thats what I said.

The 100% at the start was me agreeing with you 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

So regardless of the set up burning organic garden waste is illegal.

What is the best way to get rid of small branches? I know grass clippings can degrade fine but is there any mulcher type device??

yes, a garden shredder. i have one of these, and it'll easily handle branches as thick as your thumb, or a little bit thicker.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-mshp2800d-2-electric-silent-shredder/3663602627357_BQ.prd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Nathan Blue Zygote

yes, a garden shredder. i have one of these, and it'll easily handle branches as thick as your thumb, or a little bit thicker.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-mshp2800d-2-electric-silent-shredder/3663602627357_BQ.prd

My wife swears by it. We've had bags and bags of mulch thanks to ours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I stand corrected. :-) You are right sir. My reading of the regs meant garden trimmings were not waste. Afterall, I can burn branches in my (indoor) stove but cant burn them outside. Now (well, since 09 anyway) branches and others are mentioned specifically.

Now ..... BBQs .... They are ok, right? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My wife swears by it. We've had bags and bags of mulch thanks to ours

Great idea..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You could always dry branches and so on and burn them in your house fire/ stove. It's one of these slightly ridiculous anomalies that you can't burn garden waste like branches outside but keep them for firing inside and you can of course happily burn away :)

I've heard a few eco numpties recently proposing a ban of wood & multi fuel stoves in domestic housing in favour of electricity generated in their carbon gobbling industrial wind machines. Nothing can be greener than growing trees and then burning them. You capture carbon in the timber, then burn it, plant more - straight conversion and recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Thanks for posting the legislation. I was curious too.

It is widespread across the site to declare such and such legal without backing it up. While you would probably be a bit of an idiot to believe a random boardsie, you have to be careful in case it might cause trouble for someone. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Thud

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You could always dry branches and so on and burn them in your house fire/ stove. It's one of these slightly ridiculous anomalies that you can't burn garden waste like branches outside but keep them for firing inside and you can of course happily burn away :)

I've heard a few eco numpties recently proposing a ban of wood & multi fuel stoves in domestic housing in favour of electricity generated in their carbon gobbling industrial wind machines. Nothing can be greener than growing trees and then burning them. You capture carbon in the timber, then burn it, plant more - straight conversion and recycling.
    It's to do with the temperature the fire burns at in a fireplace/stove vs outdoorsand the amount of smoke it produces. See magicbasterers post above

Thud wrote: »
    It's to do with the temperature the fire burns at in a fireplace/stove vs outdoorsand the amount of smoke it produces. See magicbasterers post above

Quoting from above:
    "Examples of where you cannot burn household or garden waste are:

In a barrel or exposed pile in the yard or garden
    On a bonfire
    On an open fire, range or other solid fuel appliance
    In a mini-incinerator"

Example of poorly thought out advice - at what point does 'garden waste' like branches and tree limbs become fuel??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Quoting from above:
    "Examples of where you cannot burn household or garden waste are:

In a barrel or exposed pile in the yard or garden
    On a bonfire
    On an open fire, range or other solid fuel appliance
    In a mini-incinerator"

Example of poorly thought out advice - at what point does 'garden waste' like branches and tree limbs become fuel??

Anything bigger than about an inch in diameter gets cut and stacked and goes on in the stove. Not going to waste good fuel.

my3cents wrote: »
    Anything bigger than about an inch in diameter gets cut and stacked and goes on in the stove. Not going to waste good fuel.

Exactly that's thrifty common sense but the legislation quoted above seeks to propose that the fumes coming out of your household stove chimney is OK but if you burn same in garden incinerator it's not. Sometimes the law is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

What’s the story with fire pits and chimineas?
    Not to burn waste but in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Holy Diver wrote: »
    What’s the story with fire pits and chimineas?
    Not to burn waste but in general.

Its probably safer not to ask.

I suppose garden waste becomes fuel when it has been sorted and stacked and dried for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I make my own charcoal for my BBQ from waste/fallen branches 1"-3" in diameter using a small modified steel barrel. I'm just waiting for the day when some dickhead jobsworth comes out and accuses me of burning rubbish. :D

• Advertisement

Exactly that's thrifty common sense but the legislation quoted above seeks to propose that the fumes coming out of your household stove chimney is OK but if you burn same in garden incinerator it's not. Sometimes the law is an ass.
    no; AFAIK the law specifically forbids you burning waste in your stove, in the same way it forbids you burning waste in your back garden.

the law (the one being talked about) is specifically about *waste* burning.

Advertisement