Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Putting in new bed

• 10-07-2019 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi folks, looking to replace this bed with a couple of garden railway sleepers for the border. i will probably leave the rose bushes in, even though they're not blooming that well this year. For the sleepers, am i as well off just run one out from house and then one all the way across, i have a water outlet on the right hand side so need to make sure this doesn't get blocked either. All suggestion welcome. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Doop

As you describe is fine... if you are raising the level of soil I would cut the downpipe so it is shorter and not buried under the soil, you can cut it with a saw and pop back on the spout bit at the end. Even if it is a little bit buried it probably wont make much difference as the water will drain through regardless.
    You do however want to be careful about raising the soil too high against the house as you will cause issues with damp coming in through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Doop wrote: »
    As you describe is fine... if you are raising the level of soil I would cut the downpipe so it is shorter and not buried under the soil, you can cut it with a saw and pop back on the spout bit at the end. Even if it is a little bit buried it probably wont make much difference as the water will drain through regardless.
    You do however want to be careful about raising the soil too high against the house as you will cause issues with damp coming in through the wall.
    If the level of the bed looks like it will end up above your Damp Proof Course, lay some Damp Proof Membrane DPM along the back, horizontally along the ground and turning up along the wall. You can cut off any surplus a bit above soil level. Builders' providers sell DPM by the metre.

Advertisement