Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crawl [Alexandre Aja]

Options
  • 15-07-2019 2:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Who doesn't like an exciting killer animal / monster flick? Well I do anyway, so figured I'd share :D

It's reviewing quite well it seems, and does look like it's a taught, 'bottle' thriller with potentially unnerving setting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought "The Hills Have Eyes" remake was one of the best horrors I had seen in years and of course "Haute Tension" was what put Aja on the map but after that he was never really able to match those heights again.

This does look run of the mill stuff (there's an American Dad episode which looks eerily similar) but hopefully he can put a decent spin on it and get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Critic reviews are great (no sign of user reviews yet)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/crawl_2019

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can't wait for this.

On the flip side, I watched half of The Hills Have Eyes before turning it off and wondering what society has become when that kind of film is labelled entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Wouldn't be my thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Love an oul creature feature, so have been following this one for a while. It's similar story-wise to an Aussie movie in which great whites are left stranded in flooded urban carpark/grocery stores after a tsunami, but it was nowhere near as fun as it should have been. Fingers crossed for this one though.

Edit: Bait was the name of the Australian shark flick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

looks croctastic

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I do like a well made bottle thriller, so I'm really looking forward to this especially given the reception from the US. Hush by Mike Flanagan is one of my favourite bottle thrillers of recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw this today in an empty screening, it's good trashy fun, exactly what you would expect from the director of the piranha remake (Alexandre Aja). It gets increasingly more insane as it goes on but first half is very tight.

Sugar the definite MVP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Not an avid creature feature watcher, but I saw a trailer for this about a month ago and it looked good; seeing as I actually enjoyed Blake Lively's The Shallows, this looks a more high octane version of it on land..and with alligator for shark. Good reviews for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Found this to be just great fun. It's under an hour and a half and is never boring. Definitely a film you need to be in the mood for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

This was a surprisingly entertaining and uncomfortable 90 minutes which may very well give you nightmares. I must sort out my swimming skills before I visit Florida again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Seen it at the weekend. It was so terrible that it was funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was grand, but not much more. Not bad but not easy to recommend either, very predictable and cliche and while entertaining is never really brilliant, or even great. Very much a typical sort of 6/10 movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very boilerplate film, but did what it did effectively and with enough swagger to make the 90 odd minutes breeze by. Crunchy and violent when it needed to be, and made good use of its environment for organically scaling tension; the gators themselves were executed with good FX, which helped sell the danger. The characters were straight out of the Big Book of Tropes for sure, but again handled with enough straight-line competence that they worked fine.

Nothing spectacular by any stretch, but it was an entertaining 90 minute slice of B movie, siege drama.

Advertisement