Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Quiet Place (Emily Blunt and John Krasinski SciFi/Horror)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Millicent Simmonds stood out. This film made me feel decidedly queasy. The pressure of the limitation they're living under.. ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Did anyone notice in the supermarket at the start, that the shelves with all the crisps were untouched?

That was a clever touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Did anyone notice in the supermarket at the start, that the shelves with all the crisps were untouched?

That was a clever touch.

Now that I'd take a risk for.:pac:

Now that I'd take a risk for.:pac:

I can't see anyone in Ireland making it with the love for Tayto's an Monster Munch proving fatal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finally got round to this! That was great! Need that sequel NOW!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Definitely doesn't need a sequel, imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The film was pure Lightning in a Bottle, and I don't believe you can ever return to a 'high concept' idea without severe diminishing of returns. Especially if they start trying to explain too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I wouldn't want a sequel either but if they must do one I'd rather they tell a completely different story in that world. We saw the family dynamic dealing with it, wouldn't fall out with a group of people hunting them maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why didn't they just
    stay at the waterfall area, set up an encampment there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Why didn't they just

Because that would have been a boring film.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why didn't they just

There was no house there?
    No potable water, no sewerage, no power.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Definitely doesn't need a sequel, imo.
    Not at all, as in, a sequel isn't warranted...i thought it was a fine standalone story.
    If another installment is to be made, maybe make it an expansion rather than a sequel. Show the initial 'invasion' or make it in faux-documentary style, set 5 years after the last creature has been killed, giving a comprehensive overview.

The intimate, character-based version of the story has already been told and i don't want to see a repackaged version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah watched it the other day , this is perfect as is , I think a sequel would be needless , it was an excellent thriller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Defunkd wrote: »
    Not at all, as in, a sequel isn't warranted...i thought it was a fine standalone story.
    If another installment is to be made, maybe make it an expansion rather than a sequel. Show the initial 'invasion' or make it in faux-documentary style, set 5 years after the last creature has been killed, giving a comprehensive overview.

The intimate, character-based version of the story has already been told and i don't want to see a repackaged version.

I agree, and even at that Id say any invasion backstory type movie will just be tired and bring nothing new to the genre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

wakka12 wrote: »
    I agree, and even at that Id say any invasion backstory type movie will just be tired and bring nothing new to the genre

Watching loud Americans getting torn asunder for 90 mins would be a worthy story imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just watched it, pretty impressed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Terrible movie. Generic, by the numbers, horror. I’m on my phone, so can’t put up a spoiler, but the ending was pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got a question about that film.

So when there is a lot of noise, the creatures got confused? Or couldn't hear you? Like when they were behind the waterfall.

So instead of being super quiet, why did the human race not just make LOADS OF NOISE, all the time. Have stereos out in fields blaring, horns going all the time, etc etc?

Then they would be able to live without fear of getting attacked if they stood on a creaky floorboard!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just watched it, pretty impressed tbh.

Thinking about this when I went to bed.

The gun shot which was in the basement was heard and caused loads of creatures to come towards the farm.

What about the bloody fireworks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thinking about this when I went to bed.

The gun shot which was in the basement was heard and caused loads of creatures to come towards the farm.

What about the bloody fireworks!

The fireworks were away from the farmhouse and had stopped by then.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got a question about that film.

So when there is a lot of noise, the creatures got confused? Or couldn't hear you? Like when they were behind the waterfall.

So instead of being super quiet, why did the human race not just make LOADS OF NOISE, all the time. Have stereos out in fields blaring, horns going all the time, etc etc?

Then they would be able to live without fear of getting attacked if they stood on a creaky floorboard!

And rename the movie 'A Loud Place'.

John Krasinski Will Write the Quiet Place Sequel After All
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/john-krasinski-will-write-the-quiet-place-sequel-after-1829850782
    That was my intention for the movie itself. Then I had this small idea for a sequel, but I didn’t think it would go anywhere. So, I said to the studio, ‘Just go do the movie with somebody else.’

They heard some pitches, and I told Drew [Form, producer] about this little idea, and he told me to think about it a little longer. And then I thought, ‘This might really work.’ So, I’m currently writing the sequel.”
    I guess we’ll have to wait until much, much closer to Quiet Place 2's planned May 15, 2020 release date to find out what got Krasinski so excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I saw on the news that Emily Blunt won won an award for this last night as "Female Actor In A Supporting Role In A Motion Picture"

Blunt was not only the female lead but she has top billing over her husband so how does she get classified as a supporting actress for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Slydice wrote: »

He has spoken about it again since then and said it will be about a different group of people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I saw on the news that Emily Blunt won won an award for this last night as "Female Actor In A Supporting Role In A Motion Picture"

Blunt was not only the female lead but she has top billing over her husband so how does she get classified as a supporting actress for this?

Presumedly it’s what the studio thought she had the best chance of winning and/or being nominated for. These decisions are usually made with the approval of the actor.

watched this again last night.
    When Krasinki lights the fire on top of the silo, he looks around and it appears other fires begin lighting.

wonder why there was no interaction with these people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

watched this again last night.
    When Krasinki lights the fire on top of the silo, he looks around and it appears other fires begin lighting.

Maybe they do have interactions with them, and it just wasn't important to the story.

I imagine they all live spread out a bit for self-preservation. Larger group of people = larger chance of making noise that attracts the creatures = mass slaughter. At least when they are spread out you're not risking a whole group if you make a noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Caught it last night, really good flick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

mmmm because they cant speak? :P

But seriously, id say they are all paranoid and dont want other people possibly drawing monsters to them, so they would likely/smartly keep contact to a minimum. Maybe leave notes in spots etc, a centralised message board would work wonders :D

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    mmmm because they cant speak? :P

But seriously, id say they are all paranoid and dont want other people possibly drawing monsters to them, so they would likely/smartly keep contact to a minimum. Maybe leave notes in spots etc, a centralised message board would work wonders :D

Morse code signals is an easy way around that

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Morse code signals is an easy way around that

nah... thats tappa tappa tappa .... youd be fcuked before you could ask if they wanted a cuppa tea.

you need something like semaphore signalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She is lead but she was nominated and won at the SAGs in the supporting category as this must be how the studio put her consideration in (as what Sad Professor already mentioned above) plus Regina King was not nominated

sydthebeat wrote: »
    nah... thats tappa tappa tappa .... youd be fcuked before you could ask if they wanted a cuppa tea.

you need something like semaphore signalling

Can do morse with light aswell (navies do)
    Anyway, we digress :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Presumedly it’s what the studio thought she had the best chance of winning and/or being nominated for. These decisions are usually made with the approval of the actor.

Well I assumed Blunt herself was indeed aware ;) but it is an example of how these awards are nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nice use of sign language as well

hrrrmmmm

Cillian Murphy in talks for A Quiet Place sequel
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0330/1039535-cillian-murphy-in-talks-for-a-quiet-place-sequel/

So.. let me get this straight.. Cillian Murphy stayed quiet during the invasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Now that's certainly a different choice..

Releasing in March 2020

A Quiet Place Sequel Moves Ahead Two Months to March 2020
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a-quiet-place-sequel-release-date-march-2020-1203225748/

Looks like it will avoid clashing with Fast & Furious 9:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=all&date=2020-05-01&showweeks=5&p=.htm

and instead be taking on Godzilla vs. Kong:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=all&date=2020-03-06&showweeks=4&p=.htm

So I guess they reckon Godzilla King of the Monsters out this week ain't gonna pack enough of a punch to make the next Godzilla film be huge competition. Although even if Godzilla does well, choosing between it and F&F sounds like being stuck between a rock and a hard place in a quiet place (pun absolutely intended :P :D)

• Advertisement

*whispers almost mimes* ... film ing .. has .. begun..

https://twitter.com/johnkrasinski/status/1150765077248847873

Has anyone been to see Black Christmas in the cinema? Does it have a teaser trailer for A Quiet Place 2?

A Quiet Place 2 Has a New Teaser—But Only If You See the Right Movie
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-quiet-place-2-has-a-new-teaser-but-only-if-you-see-th-1840433494
    And there’s a teaser, featuring that family, that you can see. But only if you go see Black Christmas, the Sophia Takal-helmed remake of the old sorority slasher flick. In a pretty unusual move, the film’s creators have decided, for now, at least, not to release the teaser online. So if you want to ride that hype train, you’ve got only one option.

Maybe it’ll put some butts in the seats. Black Christmas looks like it might deserve it. And A Quiet Place 2 comes out March 20, 2020.

Teaser for the sequel!
    How'd they make me tense in just 30 seconds?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It'll be interesting to see how a film like this returns to the well, and if it can maintain the high tension set; whether Krasinski tries to just repeat himself or instead take the sequel in a newer directio. Hard to see how you do the latter with such an intentionally limited premise though (that's not meant as a criticism, just that the film was built off a singular hook).

Advertisement