Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 African Cup of Nations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

VAR rule out another goal, Mane this time, which was a great ball through and finish. Didn't get any proper replays so very hard to tell. From what little they showed of it, it looked like it was only his arm offside... serious lack of replays though. Weird.

Senegal should have ahd another just now too, burst through, and major goalmouth scramble to keep it out. Mane really causing problems now, driving through and getting picked out in space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Benin remind me of that Greece team that won the Euros. Very hard to break down and looking to take any lucky chance that falls their way. Won't be sad to see the back of them.

Algeria 1-0 up against Ivory Coast.

Been a good open game so far. Ivory Coast look a lot better than the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1-1 now. Kodjia with the goal for Ivory Coast. Algeria with a missed pen to make it 2-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The outfield players have made move blocks for shots than the goalie for Ivory Coast

• Advertisement

Selective vision by the ref there

Thought they might have given that as a pen but pleased they didn't. Would have been soft.

1-1 after 90 minutes. Extra-Time on the way.

Cornet on for Zaha.

Penalties on the way.

Delort had a chance to win it with a free-kick in the last second but put it wide.

I think Algeria deserve to go through on balance of play but who knows what will happen.

Bony's pen saved. Advantage Algeria now.

Algeria miss the chance to win it, hitting the post! Ivory Coast with a chance to take it to sudden death.

That Bounedjah guy is going to give himself a heart attack if he keeps that up.

• Advertisement

What was with that run-up?

Algeria go through after captain Serey Die hits the post.

Think it's the right outcome.

Astonished Bony gets a call up, he looks like he's out of shape the past 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Finals
    Sunday 14th July
    18:00
    Senegal V Tunisia
    20:00 Algeria V Nigeria

Algeria 1-0 up through an own goal, this after Senegal got through Tunisia earlier with another own goal. A fitting way to reach the final given the standard of the tournament so far.

Penalty Nigeria. Harsh but I'd give it tbh. Arm was too far from his side.

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mahrez, absolutely unbelievable.

Knew he was scoring that as soon as it was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

What a freekick from Mahrez

Wow, what a moment from Mahrez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wednesday 17th July
    Third place play-off 20:00

Tunisia V Nigeria

Friday 19th July
    Final 20:00

Senegal V Algeria

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Looking like a Senegal vs Algeria final if my layout is correct.

Called it a week ago but I'm so thankful that didn't go to extra time. I fell asleep during the earlier game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

ERG89 wrote: »
    Called it a week ago but I'm so thankful that didn't go to extra time. I fell asleep during the earlier game.

Nice predo!

Prediction for the final? I backed Senegal from the start at 11/2 but I haven't watched a kick of it yet. Wondering whether I should hedge a bit with a bet on Algeria...

From following the scores they've possibly been slightly more impressive than Senegal, would you agree?

Didn't get to see either of thesemis but I reckon Algeria will shade it. They are probably the two most rounded teams I've seen in the tournament so it's probably the best final that could be had.

Teams for tonight's final (kick-off 8pm):
    Senegal XI: Gomis; Gassama, Kouyate, Sane, Sabaly; Saivet, Ndiaye, Gueye; Sarr, Niang, Mane.

Algeria XI: M'Bolhi; Zeffane, Mandi, Benlamri, Bensebaini; Guedioura; Mahrez, Feghouli, Bennacer, Belaili; Bounedjah.

Sarr vs Bensebaini will be an interesting duel. Both are teammates at Rennes.

If Mane has a big performance tonight he might start to enter the Ballon d'Or discussion. He's won the Champions League, shared the Premier League golden boot, and if he can lead his nation to their first African Cup of Nations, that's a pretty strong case to be on the podium.

I'll go for Senegal to edge it.

Algeria lead already! Freakish deflection off Sane from Bounedjah's shot.

Niang inches away from goal of the tournament.

Half-Time and Algeria lead 1-0. Senegal piling on the pressure but can't find the breakthrough so far.

Penalty to Senegal for handball. Looks very harsh.

Ref changes his mind after consulting VAR. Think that's the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah not the call I wanted but definitely the correct one. Hands completely down by his side, that's the "natural silouhette" they're talking about where it's ok to hit your arm

Yeah, would have been very harsh... good to see this is the direction they're starting to push the handball rule with VAR, after some very dodgy ones earlier in the summer.

• Advertisement

Senegal putting on a lot of pressure at times, and fairly bizarrely Algeria are leaving them some space in behind to run into, which is exactly what will suit players like Niang and Mane.

Advertisement