Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 African Cup of Nations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ERG89 wrote: »
    Looking like a Senegal vs Algeria final if my layout is correct.

Called it a week ago but I'm so thankful that didn't go to extra time. I fell asleep during the earlier game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Called it a week ago but I'm so thankful that didn't go to extra time. I fell asleep during the earlier game.

Nice predo!

Prediction for the final? I backed Senegal from the start at 11/2 but I haven't watched a kick of it yet. Wondering whether I should hedge a bit with a bet on Algeria...

From following the scores they've possibly been slightly more impressive than Senegal, would you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Didn't get to see either of thesemis but I reckon Algeria will shade it. They are probably the two most rounded teams I've seen in the tournament so it's probably the best final that could be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams for tonight's final (kick-off 8pm):
    Senegal XI: Gomis; Gassama, Kouyate, Sane, Sabaly; Saivet, Ndiaye, Gueye; Sarr, Niang, Mane.

Algeria XI: M'Bolhi; Zeffane, Mandi, Benlamri, Bensebaini; Guedioura; Mahrez, Feghouli, Bennacer, Belaili; Bounedjah.

Sarr vs Bensebaini will be an interesting duel. Both are teammates at Rennes.

If Mane has a big performance tonight he might start to enter the Ballon d'Or discussion. He's won the Champions League, shared the Premier League golden boot, and if he can lead his nation to their first African Cup of Nations, that's a pretty strong case to be on the podium.

I'll go for Senegal to edge it.

Algeria lead already! Freakish deflection off Sane from Bounedjah's shot.

Niang inches away from goal of the tournament.

Half-Time and Algeria lead 1-0. Senegal piling on the pressure but can't find the breakthrough so far.

Penalty to Senegal for handball. Looks very harsh.

Ref changes his mind after consulting VAR. Think that's the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah not the call I wanted but definitely the correct one. Hands completely down by his side, that's the "natural silouhette" they're talking about where it's ok to hit your arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, would have been very harsh... good to see this is the direction they're starting to push the handball rule with VAR, after some very dodgy ones earlier in the summer.

• Advertisement

Senegal putting on a lot of pressure at times, and fairly bizarrely Algeria are leaving them some space in behind to run into, which is exactly what will suit players like Niang and Mane.

Poor free-kick from Diatta. Time running out now. Senegal might be able to conjure up one last opportunity. A bit of magic from Mane would be great about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,625 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I havent watched alot of the matches but the ones I have including tonights they are very poor advertisement for football.

It seems the technical skills and overall play is much lacking in African Football.

Tonights game has been awful

All over. Algeria the winners.

Senegal went down with a whimper really.

Headshot wrote: »
    I havent watched alot of the matches but the ones I have including tonights they are very poor advertisement for football.

It seems the technical skills and overall play is much lacking in African Football.

Tonights game has been awful

Think the heat and humidity of a summer Afcon has played a massive part in it. Even now, at 10pm there, its still 30 degrees with 60% humidity. And this has been one of the cooler days. We know a lot of these players, we know they can do more than they're showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That was one poor poor game. Worst I've seen in a long while. Constant playacting, fouling, over hitting passes, under hitting passes, harassing the refs, roaring, moaning. Technical skills were gone out the window. Crap goal to win it. Probably their only shot on target.
    Senegal had the man mountain Sane to aim for with every set piece, and I don't think they hit him once. Whoever was taking their corners/free kicks was awful. They wasted every single one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

African football is in the doldrums.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    African football is in the doldrums.

It's a weird one... it's like the average standard has dropped, but it feels like they have more players at the peak level then ever before. Like, in the premier league last season the 3 joint top scorers were all African.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Think the heat and humidity of a summer Afcon has played a massive part in it. Even now, at 10pm there, its still 30 degrees with 60% humidity. And this has been one of the cooler days. We know a lot of these players, we know they can do more than they're showing.

I'm not sure are players playing too often as well. A lot of these players year started last August and it's now July 19th.
    The Champions League & Europa League finals were poor this season too. But when you take 3 weeks off before it & then ask players to play the biggest game of their career(in some cases) it doesn't help. The next week then you had Nations league and Euro qualifiers. (A month after the Premier League ended for instance)
    3 weeks later then you had other players at this or the Copa America.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure are players playing too often as well. A lot of these players year started last August and it's now July 19th.
    The Champions League & Europa League finals were poor this season too. But when you take 3 weeks off before it & then ask players to play the biggest game of their career(in some cases) it doesn't help. The next week then you had Nations league and Euro qualifiers. (A month after the Premier League ended for instance)
    3 weeks later then you had other players at this or the Copa America.
    It doesn't make sense to me.

True enough... not to mention a rake of these teams were involved in the World Cup last summer too, so really it's been 2 years since many of them have had a proper break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That Slimani is an awful attention seeker. Couldn’t even let Mahrez have his moment without trying to pull the trophy off him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's a weird one... it's like the average standard has dropped, but it feels like they have more players at the peak level then ever before. Like, in the premier league last season the 3 joint top scorers were all African.

It's like most of the best players are playing for different national teams and the teams themselves suck.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    It's like most of the best players are playing for different national teams and the teams themselves suck.

Yeah, there's a lot of great players, but they're totally spread out amongst the continent. So I suppose there used to be tonnes of rubbish Nations, but then a few that had a collection of 3 or 4 of these brilliant guys at the same time, which was enough to totally elevate the team. Like not so long ago the Ivory Coast had a few, Ghana had a few, Nigeria had a few, Cameroon had a few, and the teams built around those small units. Whereas there's not a lot you can do with just Salah, or just Keita, or just Mane, or just Aubamayang, when they all end up isolated and treble-covered.

Still though, it's good that these good players are starting to come from more countries than before, even if it is only in ones. Hopefully down the line, those examples will lead to a higher standard all round.

Advertisement