Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Copa America

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just watched the match - unreal from Peru, fantastic stuff. I gave them zero chance really going into it, but christ they were brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

3rd place play-off kicks off at 8pm as Argentina play Chile. Teams:
    Argentina XI: Armani; Foyth, Pezzella, Otamendi, Tagliafico; De Paul, Paredes, Lo Celso; Messi, Aguero, Dybala.

Chile XI: Arias; Diaz, Medel, Jara; Pulgar; Isla, Aranguiz, Vidal, Beausejour; Sanchez, Vargas.

This could be a fun game if they're both up for it. Think Chile had the more impressive tournament but perhaps that Peru result has knocked the stuffing out of them? I'll go Argentina to edge it.

Aguero makes it 1-0 following Messi's quick free-kick. Chile keeper poor again there.

Looks like Sanchez's hamstring has gone. Shame as he's had a good tournament.

2-0 Argentina. Lovely finish from Dybala but the keeper Arias again slow to get out.

Red card for Medel who has lost his cool totally.

And seemingly ref has sent off Messi as well!

VAR check taking place now.

He has sent Messi off. I think that's ridiculous. He didn't do anything. Medel was the instigator. Sad end to the tournament for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

That ref will be lucky to ref another game after that and VAR actually had a check? Ridiculous.

It looks more riduclous with each viewing.

https://twitter.com/PSGalu/status/1147592323930497024

Half-Time now as Argentina lead 2-0. Both teams are certainly up for it in what's been a very bad tempered half. I thought Pulgar could have been sent off just before the break for his challenge on Paredes. Standard of officiating has been really poor in this tournament.

Chile have a penalty after a VAR intervention. Chance to get back into the game.

And Vidal scores. 2-1 now. Pulgar made a great defensive intervention for Chile in the passage of play before the penalty was awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

He has sent Messi off. I think that's ridiculous. He didn't do anything. Medel was the instigator. Sad end to the tournament for him.

Messi shouldn't have been sent off, but he was the instigator himself he tried to petulantly tried to shove Medel off the pitch while he was defending.

Full-Time and Argentina win 2-1 to take third place.

Game was overshadowed by one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen. Ref was handing out cards like a postman: 7 yellows and 2 reds. Also booked Walter Samuel on the Argentine bench. And at one stage he forgot to use his foam to keep the wall back for a free-kick. Out of his depth and it hurt the contest. I think a top Champions League ref dealing with this sort of game would have kept a lid on it. Standard of officiating in South America looks poor.
    Messi shouldn't have been sent off, but he was the instigator himself he tried to petulantly tried to shove Medel off the pitch while he was defending.

That's true. They seemed to be looking to wind Medel up at every opportunity.

Line-ups for the final which kicks off at 9pm:
    Brazil XI: Alisson; Alves, Marquinhos, Silva, Sandro; Arthur, Casemiro; Jesus, Coutinho, Everton; Firmino.

Peru XI: Gallese; Advincula, Zambrano, Abram, Trauco; Tapia, Yotun; Carrillo, Cueva, Flores; Guerrero.

Would be a hell of an upset if Peru were to get the win but can't see it happening. I'll go for a Brazil win by two goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Come on Peru, you can do it.

****, great goal

Nice footwork from Jesus and a good finish from Everton. Those two have stepped up in this tournament.

Gabriel Jesus is causing lots of trouble. Perú coming into it though after the setback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Penalty for Peru!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

These new handball rules are mental. Never a penalty in any logical way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Harsh call, and that is crazy long to then call VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Lot of messing with VAR there...

After a long delay due to VAR that there was no need for whatsoever, Guerrero scores and it’s 1-1! First goal Brazil have conceded in the entire tournament, and the first goal Alisson has conceded in two months!

• Advertisement

Jesus puts them back in the lead.

That goal was way too soft, after getting yourself back in the game.

F**k sake, that’s poor from Peru on the brink of halftime.

Hard to see them getting back into it after the break now.

Jesus having a great tournament. Horrible time for Peru to concede as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Is it just me or does the referee look like Walter Samuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow that pitch looks awful

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Willian come on. I think he'd put the game to bed.

Edit: Scratch that, he's injured apparently.

Jesus sent off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hahaha

good riddens

2 very harsh yellows for Jesus

Don't know why he's complaining, a definite yellow, come on Perú!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brazil.making hard work of a team with very, very little talent.

• Advertisement

Was probably in line for MOTM before that. Peru equaliser would be epic.

jester77 wrote: »
    2 very harsh yellows for Jesus

They were two clear yellow cards.

Going down to 10 men and taking Firmino off is truly baffling. Why remove a player who can do the work of two men when you’re down in numbers? Richarlison isn’t nearly as hard-working.

It’s Coutinho I’d be taking off in this scenario.

Jesus in bits over the sending off. I think the second one was harsh.

Harsh second yellow. Minutes after being smashed out of it by a Peru player. No way they are equal punishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

They were two clear yellow cards.

I know these days, everything is very rigid and letter of the law but for me, if you are going to send a player off, then it must he really must deserve it, pretty soft fouls, I think refs should apply more common sense
    Punishment doesn’t fit the crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ah get up you fcuking clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jesus in bits over the sending off. I think the second one was harsh.

He'll bounce back from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

That Jesus yellow card for the red was incredibly harsh

Stupid defending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

What a dope

Idiotic tackle

That Jesus yellow card for the red was incredibly harsh

What makes it all the more odd, along with the extremely harsh penalty given against Brazil, is that apparently this competition is being rigged in Brazil's favour with the help of referees.

Or is there any chance, however small, that Messi and Argentina are sore losers?

Amazed it took 91 minutes for Brazil to beat this team. It reminds me of when Paraguay got their against Uruguay. Totally out of their depth & with no real quality to their play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Defender could have held off the attacker without barging him so blatantly.

I'm watching it on a stream, and I think it's Ian Darke that's commentating, and it sounds weird - really sounds like he's not at it, just commentating from a screen.

3-1 it finishes. Deserved win for Brazil in the end. Really wish Uruguay hadn't lost their shootout as I think they could have pushed them close.

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm watching it on a stream, and I think it's Ian Darke that's commentating, and it sounds weird - really sounds like he's not at it, just commentating from a screen.

In my mind I'm hoping he's watching a stream out of sync from the one your watching. Imagine commentating a game like that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

osarusan wrote: »
    Defender could have held off the attacker without barging him so blatantly.

On eir/Premier is Paul Dempsey

Fair play to Brasil but they have not impressed me that much in this tournament. Had to beat Paraguay on penalties, were on the rack lots of times against what was probably the worst argentina team in memory(btw Arthur should have been sent off for the elbow on ottamendi) and then tonight they limp over the line against Perú, if Perú were any bit calm It would be now going into extra time. I think Uruguay can view themselves as really unlucky, they bombarded peru and hit crossbars and everything and then lose on penalties, I think they would have taken Brasil in the final. Brasil are still behind a good few of their European rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Fair play to Brasil but they have not impressed me that much in this tournament. Had to beat Paraguay on penalties, were on the rack lots of times against what was probably the worst argentina team in memory(btw Arthur should have been sent off for the elbow on ottamendi) and then tonight they limp over the line against Perú, if Perú were any bit calm It would be now going into extra time. I think Uruguay can view themselves as really unlucky, they bombarded peru and hit crossbars and everything and then lose on penalties, I think they would have taken Brasil in the final. Brasil are still behind a good few of their European rivals.

They still produce loads of good players but it seems like they don't produce the amount of special talents they used to.20 years ago Brazil could probably picked 3 or 4 teams that would be up their with the best European teams. Giovane Elber for example only played 15 games for Brazil and he was one of the best strikers in Europe in the late 90's early 00's.

I think there has been a noticeable relative decline in the level of South American football this century.. Only 1 of the last 8 world cup finalists being from South America.Up until the early 200's they were the equal of the UEFA nations but I genuinely can't see a South American team winning a world cup for a good while.

Advertisement