Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roma V Liverpool (2nd Leg) READ MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Mr.H wrote: »
    Only one side was at fault for last night. Or are you styling those blinkers you keep banging on about.

The Roma fans where the scumbags last night buddy. The came to the city and have been nothing but trouble the last few days. Trying to urinate on the hillsborough memorial, getting into fights all over the city and scuffles with police. That before they even hunted down am innocent fan and tried to kill him.

Why don't you let that sink in. Your behaving just like one of them in fact.

What was all that crap a few weeks ago with Man City? Let me guess Everton fans disguised as Pool fans? Get those blinkers off, like a good lad. Just look at English fans reputation abroad at any major football tournaments? biggest bloody yobo's going, but i'm sure none of them are Liverpool fans, after all they are sweet little angels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The guys who attacked that man weren't wearing any football colour's? Stop trying to make out that Liverpool have no bad eggs as fans, the majority clubs do. I'm just highlighting some points in which ye guys don't like to hear.

Reported by BBC news that police have said man with hammer was not believed to be a Roma fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So 5-2 eh. I'm just after sobering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What was all that crap a few weeks ago with Man City? Let me guess Everton fans disguised as Pool fans? Get those blinkers off, like a good lad. Just look at English fans reputation abroad at any major football tournaments? biggest bloody yobo's going, but i'm sure none of them are Liverpool fans, after all they are sweet little angels.

There's always that one cnut who comes out with the "both sides are as bad as each other" spiel, to try and turn the blame away from those culpable. Sure if the lad dies, we should let the Roma fans off cause all teams have bad fans, right? Your so enlightened and progressive mate. And I'm not even a Pool fan, anything but. Wind your neck in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Those fans with the bus got slated and rightfully so. But it is not the same as finding someone and stabbing them.

Roma fans are constantly doing this. Way worse than any English fan

• Advertisement

There's always that one cnut who comes out with the "both sides are as bad as each other" spiel, to try and turn the blame away from those culpable. Sure if the lad dies, we should let the Roma fans off cause all teams have bad fans, right? Your so enlightened and progressive mate. And I'm not even a Pool fan, anything but. Wind your neck in

Sigh, I guess some people just don't look at the bigger picture.

Those fans with the bus got slated and rightfully so. But it is not the same as finding someone and stabbing them.

Roma fans are constantly doing this. Way worse than any English fan

Every international tournament English fans are always making the news headlines for their crappy behaviour, like we will see again come June. I've already said that those thugs who attacked that innocent man should be punished and rightly so, FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Reported by BBC news that police have said man with hammer was not believed to be a Roma fan.

Could you point me at where that is documented please? I have searched but cannot see it on any media currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Could you point me at where that is documented please? I have searched but cannot see it on any media currently.

From the BBC

BBC Sport news correspondent David Ornstein said the pre-match trouble started at 19:05 BST when a "group of Roma fans arrived via Venmore Street, burst on to Walton Breck Road and attacked, many using belts".

He witnessed one man carrying a hammer close to the ground.

Student Ryan Ellis, 22, said: "It was horrible to see, some had bats and others were swinging at people with belts with buckles out.

"They were beaten back by Liverpool fans and then the police on horseback charged."

Builder Mark Wilson, 39, said: "There were about 20 Roma fans who charged and were hitting out at people with belts.

"Liverpool fans then threw bottles and cans at them and chased them off."

Arrests from last night
    A 20-year-old man from Rome: arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and taken to a police station for interview

• A 29-year-old man from Rome: arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and taken to a police station to be interviewed

• A 38-year-old from Italy: arrested on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon, held at a police station for interview

• A 28-year-old man from Italy: arrested on suspicion of criminal damage to a seat and for throwing items inside Anfield, taken to a police station for interview

• A 28-year-old man from Italy: arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon, held at a police station to be interviewed

• A 35-year-old man from Ealing: arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm, taken to a police station to be interviewed

• A 35-year-old man from Thurrock, Essex: arrested for affray, taken to a police station to be interviewed

• A 40-year-old man from Kirkby: arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly, issued with a fixed penalty notice

• A 42-year-old man from Stockbridge Village: arrested on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug (cocaine), issued with a caution

From the BBC

BBC Sport news correspondent David Ornstein said the pre-match trouble started at 19:05 BST when a "group of Roma fans arrived via Venmore Street, burst on to Walton Breck Road and attacked, many using belts".

He witnessed one man carrying a hammer close to the ground.

Student Ryan Ellis, 22, said: "It was horrible to see, some had bats and others were swinging at people with belts with buckles out.

"They were beaten back by Liverpool fans and then the police on horseback charged."

Builder Mark Wilson, 39, said: "There were about 20 Roma fans who charged and were hitting out at people with belts.

"Liverpool fans then threw bottles and cans at them and chased them off."

Arrests from last night
    A 20-year-old man from Rome: arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and taken to a police station for interview

• A 29-year-old man from Rome: arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and taken to a police station to be interviewed

• A 38-year-old from Italy: arrested on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon, held at a police station for interview

• A 28-year-old man from Italy: arrested on suspicion of criminal damage to a seat and for throwing items inside Anfield, taken to a police station for interview

• A 28-year-old man from Italy: arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon, held at a police station to be interviewed

• A 35-year-old man from Ealing: arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm, taken to a police station to be interviewed

• A 35-year-old man from Thurrock, Essex: arrested for affray, taken to a police station to be interviewed

• A 40-year-old man from Kirkby: arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly, issued with a fixed penalty notice

• A 42-year-old man from Stockbridge Village: arrested on suspicion of possession of a Class A drug (cocaine), issued with a caution

Thanks, does not say that the police have said that was not a Roma fan carrying the hammer there as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

I think the main thing was there was barely a police presence at this area by the albert -shameful really.

Hopefully the lad from Meath will make a full recovery.

Thanks, does not say that the police have said that was not a Roma fan carrying the hammer there as far as I can tell.

That is all i could find on a hammer on the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Id a few United fan friends who went to Rome 5 years ago for a group stage,m they all said they feared for the lifes,

Roma fans are very nasty,
     I always feel Italy have the most dangerous club fans in Europe, There seems to be always hassle and stabbing even in Seria A games,
    Went to a game away to Inter years ago (Torres days) and they where trying to cause fights all over the shop

Ya I remember utd fans getting attacked -what a bunch of scumbags following this shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I've watched a few videos on other sites and both sets of fans were fighting. The media report above, detailing some of the arrests, backs that up.
    Zico ! wrote: »
    I think the main thing was there was barely a police presence at this area by the albert -shameful really.

From talking to people who have been to Anfield as home and visiting fans today, the main body of police are at the other end of the ground, the Anfield road end, where the away fans are based. The coaches for away fans are parked at that end of the ground and away fans tend to stick to that end, naturally. If there is going to be trouble, you'd expect it to be at that end of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Doesnt matter if he is a Red, Roma or ManU, Italian, French or German fan. Simple fact of the matter is that you should never go to a football match armed in any way. Such people are not fans....they are pure SCUM.

That is all i could find on a hammer on the BBC

Appreciate that, yeah was about all I could find but yer man said that the police confirmed that guy wielding a hammer was not a Roma fan, I was looking for that documented somewhere a little more reputable than his post.

Today should be one of the happiest football days in Sean Cox's life. Instead he's lying in a strange ICU in another country, unaware of the result and fighting for his life. According to reports, it's because of the actions of two 'men' half his age. At 53 himself he shouldn't have even been on their radar.
    "Witnesses said that the Mr Cox may have been singled out as he was middle-aged, and not part of a larger group."
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-only-result-that-matters-to-us-now-is-that-he-recovers-liverpool-captain-reacts-to-assault-on-irishman-at-anfield-36843040.html

Absolute toilet bacteria whoever did this. They don't deserve to walk free among the rest of us, never mind get to enjoy a football match.

I see that two men, aged 25 and 26, have been arrested are to be charged with attempted murder. I hope that if these are the two responsible for the assault, they get the punishment they deserve.

Thoughts and best wishes with Mr. Cox and his family, I hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Today should be one of the happiest football days in Sean Cox's life. Instead he's lying in a strange ICU in another country, unaware of the result and fighting for his life. According to reports, it's because of the actions of two 'men' half his age. At 53 himself he shouldn't have even been on their radar.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-only-result-that-matters-to-us-now-is-that-he-recovers-liverpool-captain-reacts-to-assault-on-irishman-at-anfield-36843040.html

Absolute toilet bacteria whoever did this. They don't deserve to walk free among the rest of us, never mind get to enjoy a football match.

I see that two men, aged 25 and 26, have been arrested are to be charged with attempted murder. I hope that if these are the two responsible for the assault, they get the punishment they deserve.

Thoughts and best wishes with Mr. Cox and his family, I hope he pulls through.

Football is football. We all support who we do and we hate the clubs we do. It's football. We all have the 'banter' on here.

But this is real life and for someone who just goes to a football match and ends up in hospital like that and fighting for his life is just awful awful stuff.

I'm so sick of scumbags like this latching onto football clubs and behaving like this. It's nothing to do with the club, it's how those individual themselves choose to represent themselves.

Doesnt matter if he is a Red, Roma or ManU, Italian, French or German fan. Simple fact of the matter is that you should never go to a football match armed in any way. Such people are not fans....they are pure SCUM.

100%, some people were quick to judge all the same.

100%, some people were quick to judge all the same.

Quick to judge what?

The Roma fans came to the entrance of the kop. The went to the opposite side of the away end. They attacked Liverpool fans with weapons and could be responsible for killing someone.

While Liverpool fans were arrested a lot of it was fighting Roma fans outside the kop in self defense.

Nowhere does it say the guy with the hammer wasn't a Roma fan.

The Roma fans are scum and deserve to be banned from all football events. Every single one of the ****ers who went to the kop end to pick a fight.

• Advertisement

Sigh, I guess some people just don't look at the bigger picture.

Bigger picture?????

Your lot could have cost someone their life.

Absolute filth

Quick to judge what?

The Roma fans came to the entrance of the kop. The went to the opposite side of the away end. They attacked Liverpool fans with weapons and could be responsible for killing someone.

While Liverpool fans were arrested a lot of it was fighting Roma fans outside the kop in self defense.

Nowhere does it say the guy with the hammer wasn't a Roma fan.

The Roma fans are scum and deserve to be banned from all football events. Every single one of the ****ers who went to the kop end to pick a fight.

Quick to judge he was a Roma fan clearly.

Look sorry it doesn't fit your outlook but police have obviously explored the hammer wielder and is not thought to be a Roma fan despite you hoping he is undeniably one.

Liverpool fans had mass brawls at Old Trafford the worst in 18 years when they met in Europe 2 years ago a number of fans from both sides were jailed for a few weeks. All others deserve to be banned by your logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Look sorry it doesn't fit your outlook but police have obviously explored the hammer wielder and is not thought to be a Roma fan despite you hoping he is undeniably one.

Liverpool fans had mass brawls at Old Trafford the worst in 18 years when they met in Europe 2 years ago a number of fans from both sides were jailed for a few weeks. All others deserve to be banned by your logic.

Who did they have the brawls with themselves?

Ahh don't answer him, he is looking for bites will go again for a year when he does not get any

I dunno around here at all :(
    a number of fans from both sides were jailed for a few weeks. All others deserve to be banned by your logic.

To explain do these fans on both sides deserve punishment? Had to be a more Liverpool leaning stance for obvious reasons.

Except it's only people here saying he is not a Roma fan. Not one single link has been provided to back up that claim.

Yes both sides were bad a couple of years ago and stadium bans have been issued. Any time a fan is caught up in acts like this, it is procedure to ban them. That is a thing that is enforced in the UK. The holliganaim is pretty much wiped out of top flight football in the UK.

Roma fans are of course not all bad. But the issue is they have a section of fans who are ultras. Over the last few years these ultras have stabbed, battered and tried to kill opposition fans. Not enough has been done by Roma to get rid of this element. So yes the club should suffer for it. Playing behind closed doors is the only way to force the club to rid itself of the ultras instead of pretending the fans ate just passionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

How do you know this? There is no reports whatsoever clarifying this? Do you have an insider in the Merseyside police? How can you be certain that they didn’t investigate him after the match, found out he was a Roma fan but was already gone home so couldn’t bring charges against him for holding a hammer in public?

Every single report says it was a Roma fan with the hammer. Not one suggests otherwise

Every single report says it was a Roma fan with the hammer. Not one suggests otherwise

Said it on BBC news yesterday evening this was mentioned. Let's be honest it's an after thought it's not news to sell you oh it was a dodgy builder/another fan mistaken for a Roma supporter sorry we reported otherwise earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Seems to be cleared up on the Roma ultras Twitter today, as they put up pictures getting ready for the game and one has a hammer

Advertisement