Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Alternative for Shed

Options
  • 03-04-2020 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have an old shed that has a roof with blue bangor slates. It has not been re-roofed in over 100 years but needs a new roof. I got a quote for €7800 for thrutone slates and labour. The size of the shed is 15 feet by 22 feet. As it is used only for storage and maybe an animal, I am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. The shed is attached to the bungalow so needs to be fairly aesthetically pleasing and my bungalow has thrutone slates on it. I am not a farmer or a builder. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Issybelle wrote: »
    I have an old shed that has a roof with blue bangor slates. It has not been re-roofed in over 100 years but needs a new roof. I got a quote for €7800 for thrutone slates and labour. The size of the shed is 15 feet by 22 feet. As it is used only for storage and maybe an animal, I am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. The shed is attached to the bungalow so needs to be fairly aesthetically pleasing and my bungalow has thrutone slates on it. I am not a farmer or a builder. Any advice would be appreciated.

Check out Gusclad ltd
    They’ve an add on DD for a decorated roof sheeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Depends where you are? Galvanised sheeting is traditional enough in the country. It can look quite smart when painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MANSFIELD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looks the job

I'm always wondering since this tile and slate effect insulated sheeting came out why people are still going with concrete and slate?

I've an old stone house done with tile effect single skin. And the greatest draw for me was never having to be on that roof again replacing slates.
    If I ever get around to building my own house there won't be a slate nor tile on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I built a shed 13 years ago & used tile effect sheeting. It looks the same now as when it went on bar some growth.
    It's both plastic coated & galvanised, I can't think of anything which is likely to last longer without maintenance.
    The lack of moss means gutters almost never need cleaning either.

The patterns have improved slightly since and adjacent sheets seem to lock in seamlessly now. The overlap is just visible from one side on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

air wrote: »
    I built a shed 13 years ago & used tile effect sheeting. It looks the same now as when it went on bar some growth.
    It's both plastic coated & galvanised, I can't think of anything which is likely to last longer without maintenance.
    The lack of moss means gutters almost never need cleaning either.

The patterns have improved slightly since and adjacent sheets seem to lock in seamlessly now. The overlap is just visible from one side on mine.

I’ve seen that used on a house and it looked really impressive, only when your close can you see wit it is.

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve seen that used on a house and it looked really impressive, only when your close can you see wit it is.

Yes it's great stuff, I wouldn't use anything but steel on any roof after having tried it.

The dead load on my shed roof was 10% of what concrete tiles would have been too, 200kg vs 2000kg approximately!

So there's a good saving to be had on the roof structure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Issybelle

I wish I had known about the slate effect sheeting before. I just had my bungalow roof done with slates and it was expensive. Not sure slates will last much longer than the sheeting as well. I have several sheds to do so will give the slate effect sheeting a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Would it just be a matter of removing slates and replacing with sheeting? Would the timbers up already be sufficient f9r the cladding or would you have to put up new timbers also?

• Advertisement

anfieldrd wrote: »
    Would it just be a matter of removing slates and replacing with sheeting? Would the timbers up already be sufficient f9r the cladding or would you have to put up new timbers also?

It's generally just a straight swap, you'd put in a new roof membrane and battens when changing any roof covering of course.
    I would imagine the steel should be a bit lighter than slate too so no structural concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Issybelle wrote: »

The slates currently on the roof would be better than thrustone slates or any other pure muck from Tegral.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Needles73 wrote: »
    The slates currently on the roof would be better than thrustone slates or any other pure muck from Tegral.

I doubt it if you take down present skates and check them 50% will be defective and not worth putting back up. All you need do is tap them with your knckles and you will find that a lot give a hollow sound. If you intend putting back up original slates you will need to replace a lot of them

I am not sure if I would use a tile effect cladding. I would consider a corrugated type profile before and go with the old red lead type finish. You can now get this as a plastic or powdered coated finish.one of the main rules of design is often not to try to get too close to preset finish but to go for a contrast. That is not to try to match the finish on the house but to go for a complete contrast.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have my doubts about non drip in a shed scenario also. Don't always do or prevent what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's always people/builders looking for those old blue bangor slates to match up roofs on extensions or sheds or even just to repair old roofs.

I've seen them used as floor tiles too or even cut into 4 x 4 sizes for kitchen wall tiles.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have my doubts about non drip in a shed scenario also. Don't always do or prevent what they say

Have regular non insulated tile effect on my shed with a breathable membrane underneath and there is bi issue with condensation as a resullt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mooooo wrote: »

This is a shed onto a house.I resume that the only animals in there are a cat or dog maybe. If I was doing it and because I was saving money on timber and slates I get an insulated cladding and put it up there. I would consider slabbing underneath the insulated cladding as well. This gives you the option with its use in the future for a farm office and wet room or adapting it into living space

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How big is the shed?

What about using clear perspex sheeting?
    https://www.polycarbonatesheets.ie/collections/polycarbonate-sheets/products/6mm-polycarbonate-sheets-clear

There is a co in Meath I think that supply really big sheets, like 3x4m but I couldn't find them. Hopefully someone local might know who they are.

Edit;
    I think it's access plastics

https://www.accessplastics.com/flat-polycarbonate-sheet/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Unfortunately, I think the main roof of my bungalow is thrutone. I just went with what the roofer recommended as I know nothing about roofing or building. The slates on the shed attached to the bungalow are blue bangor and these have been up for over a 100 years. Most are in good shape but not enough of them to cover the whole roof and they aesthetically don't match the new Thrutone slates. Maybe I will just go with the standard corrugated sheeting as Bass Reeves suggested.

Needs timbers replaced as well. The shed roof is over a hundred years old.

• Advertisement

Thats a good idea as I may decide to use it for something else in the future.

Thanks. Another option I wasn't aware of. When covid all over I will give them a ring.

Thats a great idea. I was going to sell the slates maybe on Done Deal but using them as floor tiles is something I never thought of.

Advertisement