Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2019, 00:37   #1

Photos on Ancestry

If I put a photo of a family member on Ancestry and show it publicly, can others just take copies without my knowledge?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 10:25   #2
kanadams123

I have made one person on my tree and disconnected it from my entire tree.
I have marked this person as living and named him/her GALLERY. Whenever I add a new photo I link it to this "person" as well, as pictures of living people are not shown in search or on my public profile.
18-07-2019, 18:14   #3
VirginiaB

That's why my tree is private and must remain so. I do share info with anyone who asks. I have also contacted matches and then shared info with them tho they did not ask--and maybe weren't even interested. But my tree will never be public because of the sloppy research so many do.

Ancestry has three levels of privacy--public, totally private, and 'searchable'. That is, someone can be searching a name. If they go to 'Private Trees', they can see the name and your user name. They can then contact you and ask their questions. I always reply and share info if they are related. If a person is good enough to find the "Private Trees' database, they are usually a pretty good researcher. That 'Searchable' option is the one I have chosen and it has worked well for me.

The only problem is if the person you helped then adds the info to a public tree and unrelated persons do what they do.
(3) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 19:57   #4
KildareFan

I have mixed feelings about sharing photos, but I've gained so much from the generosity of others who have posted photos of mutual ancestors.... so I put up photos that I have and let them go into the ether. At least if the house burns down, the photos live on.
18-07-2019, 20:26   #5

Thank you for all the replies. I have one photo on my tree, of a grave, my tree is marked private but others seem to have the same photo on their (sloppy) trees which they must have got from another family member. I just wondered if they took it from me, would I have been alerted that so-and-so had just copied one of my photos. Mustn't have been my private tree then. Thanks again.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 20:33   #6
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
I just wondered if they took it from me, would I have been alerted that so-and-so had just copied one of my photos.
If you attach a photo from someone else's tree to someone on your tree the person who uploaded the photo will get a notification.
But if you download the photo and then upload it to your tree they'll be none the wiser.
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 20:37   #7

I see. Well I never got any notification so I feel a bit better now. I'm not comfortable with the idea of others taking copies. I do give copies to family members in person but maybe I should add 'not for publication'.
Thanks from:
18-07-2019, 22:06   #8
Deja Boo

@kanadams123, that is brilliant!

I was stunned to see mine taken from one website and plastered on another. Doubt I would've added it find-a-grave had I known at the time it would be allowed to "go viral" on a hint-based searchable forum. Perhaps, had the (religious leader) asked on ancestry, it may've felt less like a privacy violation.

I had my tree set on private but searchable (since I didn't want any speculative research copied as fact), but when I began discovering little bits of odd data (I input in my private tree) being shared as little bits of data on ancestries search site, it became disconcerting. I am now unsearchable (not that it stops them for owning any info I input.)
Thanks from:
19-07-2019, 11:18   #9
Earnest

I have copied photos from other people's trees, just as I have copied information (though I do ask myself whether it is credible, e.g. backed up by records, or level of knowledge likely to be possessed only by close relatives). To my mind if you put up a public tree you are inviting anybody to act on the hints that Ancestry will provide.
Advertisement
19-07-2019, 19:50   #10

I take note of information on public trees but never add it to my Ancestry private tree. I would add it to my own tree on MS Excel with a question mark and note to self to check the record before I add it as fact. I also take note of the tree from which it came.
Thanks from:
09-02-2020, 18:54   #11
Deja Boo

ah Jellybaby1 closed account

wanted to ask how she organized her tree on excel
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text