Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incest in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

Separating the two works fine for you and me, but it doesn't happen when supporters of changes to the justice system seek to reduce the severity of the crime.

Agreed - if we are going to reduce the punishments or our treatment of those crimes - there has to be a demonstrably good reason for doing so. If such reasons are presented then why not? But I am not seeing any such reasons as yet.

All - of course - a separate topic to this one though.
    I'm not concerned with people who have desires for children but never submit to that desire by molestation or rape. They're not criminals.

Agreed - but from the TedX thread many people don't agree with us. Some people would - on identification of someone - wish to jail them castrate them and even outright kill them. Before they even commit any actual crime.

Where you and I might potentially disagree however is in the case of the criminals and the abusers - I do not find the sympathy to be mutually exclusive with seeking justice - reparations - punishments - rehabilitations - or anything else.
    However, the dominoes' analogy works here, because further changes always follow.

Many of them probably would have anyway - with or without the first domino. Humans and society are constantly changing.

The reasonable approach seems to be to consider each proposed change on it's own merits. If a good one leads to a bad one being suggested - then deal with that bad one. Not to use it to blame the good one.

Change and consideration of change and proposals for change - should never stop. And we should certainly never hold the right thing - because we are paranoid what the _next_ proposed thing might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Any slippery slope argument needs to be examined with reference to countries in which incest is no longer illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is there a lobby pushing for legalisation? its a funny one to be worried about unless there are people pushing for a change. so many more pressing matters i would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The problem with proposals such as these is the source. The LawRC has failed the country in its ideological approach. The credibility of the Irish justice system is at a very low point. The LRC is the institution most in need of reform.

• Advertisement
Advertisement