Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs: what do you do with your All-Ireland tickets?

Options
  • 07-09-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Just curious to know how other clubs allocate their pair of All-Ireland tickets. I know some give them to the chairman and secretary. We have a members draw, which each member has to opt in to, and give a single ticket to each of the two winners. Personally I would prefer to offer them only to members who do more work for the club, e.g. Lotto sellers, underage coaches, etc ...

What does your club do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Draw for the members of club one for hurling and for football, each winner gets the 2 tickets.Next year will probably go down the raffle route for fundraising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not sure if a draw is the fairest. I know a fair few people who are miss few games and are therefore given priority within their clubs when it comes to the big days.

Why should they be in a draw with people who never go to a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not sure if a draw is the fairest. I know a fair few people who are miss few games and are therefore given priority within their clubs when it comes to the big days.

Why should they be in a draw with people who never go to a game?

To make some much needed money for the club. That is the reality of most clubs - they need the income.
    I dont see how you can get any fairer than a draw to be honest. Everyone gets the same chance.
    I dont know what you mean by 'are miss a few games and are therefore given priority'...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

"are" is typo. I meant "People who miss few games."

I'm talking about supporters in the club who go to a lot of games through the year and get tickets from the club for championship. Although Kerry chap on here two weeks ago was saying some clubs are no longer doing this.

In some clubs, the sort of people I refer to will get a ticket if they have gotten one for earlier games. Raffle the rest by all means. Won't affect the number of tickets sold.

Besides, how can it mean as much to someone who has not been at any games before a semi final or final, as it does to those who have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "are" is typo. I meant "People who miss few games."

I'm talking about supporters in the club who go to a lot of games through the year and get tickets from the club for championship. Although Kerry chap on here two weeks ago was saying some clubs are no longer doing this.

In some clubs, the sort of people I refer to will get a ticket if they have gotten one for earlier games. Raffle the rest by all means. Won't affect the number of tickets sold.

Besides, how can it mean as much to someone who has not been at any games before a semi final or final, as it does to those who have been?

I got the impression the op was talking about clubs in a non competing county and what they did with their tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

I got the impression the op was talking about clubs in a non competing county and what they did with their tickets.

Indeed I was, and I was trying to carry out a poll of other clubs, rather than spawn a debate. Personally I think we should have a limited draw for the more active members. The most our Lotto sellers get for all their work at the moment is a bottle of wine or box of chocolates at Xmas.

Manuel wrote: »
    Indeed I was, and I was trying to carry out a poll of other clubs, rather than spawn a debate. Personally I think we should have a limited draw for the more active members. The most our Lotto sellers get for all their work at the moment is a bottle of wine or box of chocolates at Xmas.

We get 5 for the hurling. 2 are usually raffled, 2 are drawn between our development draw members and the single is given to someone looking for one.

The 3 football ones are generally given on a first come, first served basis to people actively working in the club. We usually wouldn't have many looking - this year for example we only had 2 people looking for the football tickets so it was easy sort them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think each hurling club down here gets about 8 tickets each for the hurling All Ireland, a draw is done by most clubs members only can enter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've seen clubs cause a lot of hassle by giving the final tickets to those who "help the most", people always think they do more than others and unless there's a clear cut superstar others will get their noses out of joint.

Most clubs I know will either give the tickets to a member who is from a competiting county or have a draw, some of the draws are a charge to get into which goes into club development.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

We get 4 each year for the football.
    We raffle the right to buy them in 2 pairs between all members who express an interest in buying them and going to the game themselves.
    If there aren't enough members interested in going to the game, members who wish to buy the tickets to pass on to someone else are next in order of preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Stupid question alert!!! I always though club members who win the club's all ireland raffle for tickets got them free of charge. Just recently saw a club announce someone had won the right to buy tickets. Anyone know what's the norm??

Salmon wrote: »
    Stupid question alert!!! I always though club members who win the club's all ireland raffle for tickets got them free of charge. Just recently saw a club announce someone had won the right to buy tickets. Anyone know what's the norm??

Depends if it's a fundraising raffle or just a members draw!

If it's a raffle then you're charging for raffle tickets and selling to members and non members alike so tickets are free to the winner.

If it's a club draw, then it's usually confined to members (or in some cases just members who express an interest in being in the draw) - whoever comes out here would be buying the tickets.

That's how it works with us anyway and most neighbouring clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Well clubs have to pay for the 2 tickets, i.e. 180 Euro for the final this year. If the club takes in enough through a raffle to cover the cost, they may give them out free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Definitely not free of charge. Most clubs have a members draw that doesnt cost anything to enter but you have to pay for the ticket if your name comes out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've never heard of free tickets, it'd be well worth the annual membership to have a chance of 2 tickets for 2 finals :)

Advertisement