Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Transfers/Blow in's club and intercounty - 'taking the Michael'

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I notice my club team has some players who didn't grow up in townland for example people who married woman in townland but some are just playing because their club is a larger club and they couldn't get on the team, the club welcomes thi sort of thing as the townland is very small and they can barely even field a reserve team.

However this was part of the reason why I left football aged 16 as I was subbed for someone who never even went to training the weeks before and wasn't from townland though it was the training attendance that annoyed me most.

I think small clubs need to think about sorting out the problem with teenage drop outs as my club had at least 10 players who retired at 16 and that's only the 1990-1993 born people I am counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Played 12 league and championship games for Roscommon this year scoring 1-54 and 10 of those games was against Div 1 opposition which is a enough sample size to judge. He scored 0-15 in the 3 Connacht championship games this summer and 0-14 in his three Super 8s games. That's just taking his scoring into account and from what i seen of him he's been good in general play, creating/assisting plenty of scores on top of what he scored.

What is really important is keeping to the topic of the thread and as said already what you are posting here about Conor Cox is not relevant to this thread.

I thought he was brilliant when he Roscommon played Dublin he the league - Hyde Park, it was a really manky auld day as well and made no difference to him.

I was told he was from Kerry and it was only later in the year I learnt his auld fella played for Roscommon.
    Which explains why he seems so committed to the cause.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Gael85

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yikes I didn't realise Parnells had fallen so far.

Club has fallen apart. They had 4 adult teams 7/8 years ago. Down to 2 teams. Their second team relegated from AFL4-8 in nearly consecutive years. They finished mid table in 8 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I know a lad who transferred into a club and was still being called a blow in 10 years later when he was in his mid 30s and on the wind down before finishing playing

Some clubs are just very insular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Good over a few games in Connaught which is a small sample size - not so good in Super 8's.

The reason why I raise this, like I explained above, is for all the questioning of Kerry's selections which resulted of not picking him.

I, along with others, made the argument that he was never great in our county championship and that there were several lads not on the panel who were better - this is just me reaffirming that through evidence.

And it is important to give an update on such a player's situation as it gives context to decisions and stops people making over the top judgements based on very little information

Well I seen him playing against Mayo in Castlebar and he was a real threat for them. You are judging the Roscommon team by the standards of a top team. They are not there at the moment but he is one of their best forwards for them. Again you are making points that are irrelevant to the discussion about the county championship. I am solely judging him by his displays for Roscommon and he has been good for them.

In regards to the super 8s, he was no better or worse than any other player on the Roscommon.team. He is now viewed as a leader for them in the forwards and I can understand why they view him as a find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Good over a few games in Connaught which is a small sample size - not so good in Super 8's.

The reason why I raise this, like I explained above, is for all the questioning of Kerry's selections which resulted of not picking him.

I, along with others, made the argument that he was never great in our county championship and that there were several lads not on the panel who were better - this is just me reaffirming that through evidence.

And it is important to give an update on such a player's situation as it gives context to decisions and stops people making over the top judgements based on very little information

Cox got little enuf chances with Kerry tbf..... i would have liked this new management to have given him a go... look at the way Jack Sherwood has played this yr.. no one could have envisaged him ever being part of a Kerry setup again when he drifted from the scene a few yrs ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

My club is a fairly small one in Laois and we rarely get players on transfer.
    That said, we won the intermediate championship last year and the captain was a Longford man who married into the area and is now very much one of the lads.
    We also had a lad from Kildare for his first year with us and he was excellent but couldn't play much this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Gael85 wrote: »
    Cox doesnt live and work in Roscommon as far as I'm aware - he still plays with Listowel and Feale Rangers in Kerry.
    He was marked out of it last week in the county championship by Padraig Reidy who used be on the Kerry panel about 10 years ago.

I find the Lowdnes one very strange to be honest - especially with all his family being from Meath.

That Parnell's fiasco has more or less killed the club - very sad to be honest

Parnell's are now mid table in D3. Signing lads like Wooly was going one way. Colm Begley was the only outsider who gave a good service to the club. Cluxton stepped down to second team as didnt like the way senior team was been ran.
    He stepped down now or before?

Cox doesnt live and work in Roscommon as far as I'm aware - he still plays with Listowel and Feale Rangers in Kerry.
    He was marked out of it last week in the county championship by Padraig Reidy who used be on the Kerry panel about 10 years ago.

I find the Lowdnes one very strange to be honest - especially with all his family being from Meath.

Parnell's are now mid table in D3. Signing lads like Wooly was going one way. Colm Begley was the only outsider who gave a good service to the club. Cluxton stepped down to second team as didnt like the way senior team was been ran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Gael85

thesultan wrote: »

Before. That was about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Temporary blow ins are still common in Dublin lower tier hurling. One club has won a few of the lower championships with maybe one or two Dubs on teams.

I played in semi final against a particularly notorious club years ago. They were nearly all country lads anyway and we knew them well and got on with them as we were usually in same league and championship. But if they got a whiff of a championship you could end up marking fkn Henry Shefflin (okay slight exaggeration :-)

Anyway, the day of the semi final I was playing corner back and looked at their sideline. All the players I knew were subs! The chap I was marking was calling other players by their numbers. We beat them and afterwards was talking to some of them I knew and while some of them thought it was legitimate way to get into a final, others were majorly pis5ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Temporary blow ins are still common in Dublin lower tier hurling. One club has won a few of the lower championships with maybe one or two Dubs on teams.

I played in semi final against a particularly notorious club years ago. They were nearly all country lads anyway and we knew them well and got on with them as we were usually in same league and championship. But if they got a whiff of a championship you could end up marking fkn Henry Shefflin (okay slight exaggeration :-)

Anyway, the day of the semi final I was playing corner back and looked at their sideline. All the players I knew were subs! The chap I was marking was calling other players by their numbers. We beat them and afterwards was talking to some of them I knew and while some of them thought it was legitimate way to get into a final, others were majorly pis5ed off.

Realt Dearg? Civil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Might begin with C :-)

We used to get on well with them. They had some good characters playing, including goalkeeper from Roscommon who I think played until he was in his mid 50s.

They were powerful club at one stage. Won Dublin SFC when I think Moss Keane was playing with them. But would have been more a hurling club. Still going fair play to them and I'm sure no longer field bangers :-)

Advertisement