Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What rodent is this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Looks like it has a thickish tail so could be a young rat. Rats are brazen too, when they consider it their territory. Shrewd creatures and can squeeze through the smallest gaps, amazing climbers. You're never too far from rats but generally you don't want to be sharing buildings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Looks like some kind of sideways species of rat. I've never seen a species of this orientation before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've seen a couple of similar rodents around outside which I took to be fieldmice. This one looks a little bigger maybe. Also found a dead tiny one also outside that I took to be a shrew. Had a kinda curved narrow snout.

Here is another pic where he came out to have another look at me. Bit blurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Any rats I've ever seen have been massive. Way bigger than that.

I don't know how fast they grow, but I wouldn't say there's much chance of seeing a rat on its own that isn't already adult sized.

I think that's something else, and if you say you've seen other small rodents around I think it's more likely one of those (probably too big to be a fieldmouse though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've seen a couple of similar rodents around outside which I took to be fieldmice. This one looks a little bigger maybe. Also found a dead tiny one also outside that I took to be a shrew. Had a kinda curved narrow snout.

Here is another pic where he came out to have another look at me. Bit blurred.

Lol, looks like a raccoon or a fox in that one!!!
    (Which it obviously isn't, of course! Just the photo, or maybe it's just me.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Be god lad and that bag of dog nuts is north of 60 pound.
    I’d be keeping it well away from a mouseen at that money.
    The fcuker will be gorging on them and will sh1te on what’s left.
    They do draw what they don’t eat into the nest.
    Hel rob you

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Half drown it then hit it with a sledge.And don't start fretting about it.Second time is easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an adult Wood Mouse (also called a long tailed field mouse).

A standard mousetrap will do the job.

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Half drown it then hit it with a sledge.And don't start fretting about it.Second time is easier.

Recognition! /zoidberg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A standard mousetrap will do the job.

That would be my call - as rodents go their pretty harmless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

GPMG needed ,with tracer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Get a cat and a plug in ultrasonic rodent repeller have only ever had mice so don’t know but looks too small to be a rat unless it’s a baby hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

GPMG needed ,with tracer

Ahahaha,and call in the coordinates for a mortar strike once you run out of belts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

GPMG needed ,with tracer

Think of the collateral damage! Use your head lad!
    9mm only!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

looks more like a mouse to me, rat's tails are longer

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

If he's not a health hazard I've no desire to kill him but I still don't want him pooping in my garage.

Dog-food, bird-seed etc. stored in rodent-proof containers take away all incentive for rodents to come near sheds or garages. Full-sized plastic bins with lock-over handles (lid cannot be pushed off/wiggled under) are perfect.......followed by sealing their entrance-points when you are sure they are not inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

So what is this creature? Mouse or rat,. Can you provide more pics please so we can see better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Andreas77 wrote: »
    So what is this creature? Mouse or rat,. Can you provide more pics please so we can see better

The tail looks too short for a rat. It doesn't look like a house mouse. I don't know

cjmc wrote: »
    The tail looks too short for a rat. It doesn't look like a house mouse. I don't know

Its a Wood mouse - generally they don't invade human dwellings unless the weather is very poor, which might explain its presence in this case

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its a Wood mouse - generally they don't invade human dwellings unless the weather is very poor, which might explain its presence in this case

Is a wood mouse different to a field mouse ? Where do they live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

In the woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Field Mouse

Endangered species these days, due to changes in agriculture!!

At this stage I am pretty certain it's a fieldmouse. It is pretty similar to other mice I saw outside near the garage that I also took to be fieldmice. I thought this one seemed bigger or rounder but maybe he was just better fed.

Sticking with the plan I mentioned earlier of sealing garage door and using live trap then to remove him and any of his friends. Will also put dog kibble and birdseed into appropriate containers.

Will leave the humane traps out now and then I think in future. Had two robins get stuck in garage recently after Ibleft the door open (or one robin twice). So mice could easily enter the same way.

The side the garage was completely overgrown with nettles and some brambles for some time. Got a guy to clear it with a digger last week, as well as pull up big tree stumps there. Additionally some cut wood was removed. So maybe I destroyed his home. Must leave some piles of wood and overgrown parts or I'll accidentally sterilize my garden.

No more pics. Have a crappy video but no room on my phone and not sure it's worth digging out. Will show more pics if I take more.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

That is a gorgeous little mouse.

Not a rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

He is better fed from all that lovely dog food he's been eating!!

No - we currently only have 3 species of mice in the country ie. House Mouse, Wood Mouse and the recently arrived Dormouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

please upload more pics as they come in

please upload more pics as they come in
    I probably will if I take any more. Why do you want to see them though?

Birdnuts wrote: »
    No - we currently only have 3 species of mice in the country ie. House Mouse, Wood Mouse and the recently arrived Dormouse

Is that a dormouse then. I've only seen field mice a couple of times years ago but that doesn't seem like I remember.

• Advertisement

door seal came. Painted pva sealant on floor at door to prep it. Robin came in and hopped about. Mouse came out to have a look. Within a metre of me; didn't seem bothered at all.

Advertisement